Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «technical question about windows integration of AWM , crashing apps, need advice, before finally buying » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 5711

TabSel
Advanced user

Posted: 11/16/2011 04:15:13

I am currently testing AWM. I like it, I like the support, I am confident, and I was about buying AWM as soon as my trial period ends.

I am an elctronic musician and do mainly audio related tasks with a multiple laptop based multimonitor setup.

I use for example "Maschine" from Native Instruments. This Software has a "Preferences" dialog, with mutliple tabs. One tab is for VST plugins. it has a button "rescan", with which the Maschine software starts a process to scan the configured folders for VST plugins. I wanted to rescan all of my plugins, so I hit "restart" and Maschine crashed immediately.

I spend hours and hours searching the cause. I never had any stability issues with Maschine, or, the issues were "user driven" and I usually am able to sort it out quite fast.

I found out, that Maschine crashed, when AWM is running, and it does NOT crash, wenn AWM is stopped.

Now I am worried. How can a "Windows Tool" cause crashes???

I mean, I am a programmer, and I know hpw ;) BUT: AWM integrates in each and every application, in each and every window, and it is supposed to be "forgotten", as you get used to working with it. So, if anything is behaving wrong, I usually don't think about stopping/starting AWM. And so I spend hours yesterday, searching the possible cause for the crash.

So, my question is:

Is there a way to exclude EVERY APP and EVERY WINDOW from being manipulated in any way by AWM, and only include dedicated apps, ONE BY ONE...

This would be essential for a purchase, because I don't want to have apps crashing, which usually don't crash, just because it's app window title got an "alyways on top" button by AWM, for example, without me thinking about this might lead an app to crash...

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 11/16/2011 21:21:53

Hello TabSel,

Thanks for the post.

Is there a way to exclude EVERY APP and EVERY WINDOW from being manipulated in any way by AWM, and only include dedicated apps, ONE BY ONE...
- Yes, there is a way. You should uncheck the "Default settings" checkbox in the "Window Settings" tab of Actual Window Manager and use only Specific settings.

Could you clarify what versions of Actual Window Manager and mentioned "Maschine" do you use?
What OS are you running (version, x32 or x64)?

Best regards.

TabSel
Advanced user

Posted: 11/17/2011 00:10:36

AWM 6.7.1
Windows 7 Prof x64

Had crashes/hangs with
Native Instruments Maschine 1.71, preferences window, rescanning
Native Instruments Kore2 2.1.3, Splash Screen on startup hung Kore2

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 11/23/2011 20:14:31

Hello TabSel,

Thanks for the response.

Could you check whether the problem still persists with the 6.7.2 version of Actual Window Manager or not?

Best regards.

TabSel
Advanced user

Posted: 11/24/2011 00:32:22

I am sorry, but yes, the problem still persists with v6.7.2

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help