Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «AWM keeping explorer.exe very busy » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 12502

Jim Miller

Posted: 11/07/2011 12:16:01

With AWM running, my explorer.exe has a constant average CPU of 3-4, with frequent higher spikes.  Using Process Explorer, I can see that this CPU activity is from an explorer.exe thread hitting SHLWAPI.dll!SHRegGetUSValueW+0x1a4, and the driving call on that stack seems to often be from aimemb64.dll, which is an AWM library.

My understanding is that the SHRegGetUSValueW calls represent repeated attempts to access the registry by this thread, and given this CPU volume it looks like it's out of control.

I'm using AWM 6.7 with an AWM taskbar on my second monitor but NOT replacing explorer taskbar on my primary monitor.

Config files sent.

Jim Miller

Posted: 11/07/2011 17:26:36

I used Process Monitor to see what's going on in explorer.exe so that it's using so much CPU all the time.

The answer appears to be all the RegQueryKey hits on HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Enab­leAutoTray.  A complete cycle of QueryKey/OpenKey/QueryValue/CloseKey happens 3-4 times every second.

I can turn this behavior off by uncehcking "Enable multi-monitor Taskbar" in AWM config (see right side of my wide screenshot, which I will forward by email).  Then, explorer.exe behaves sanely again with very little CPU.

But, of course, I want to keep multi-monitor taskbar on, or I see little sense in using AWM.

Jim Miller
AWM 6.7, Windows 7 64-bit

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 11/09/2011 02:42:34

Hello Jim,

Thanks a lot for the post.

We'll investigate this problem.

Best regards.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 11/09/2011 03:47:59

Jim,

Thanks a lot for such a detailed report!

Please specify do you have any Registry monitoring software running along with AWM? It may be either specific Registry monitor or your security software. The problem seems to be local to your software environment as we neither encountered this problem on our test machines nor received any complaints similar to yours.

Thanks!

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 11/09/2011 04:05:22

As a temporary workaround, it's enough to disable notification areas on all secondary taskbars, not the entire Multi-monitor Taskbar facility. The mentioned CPU load is caused by the periodical refresh of the notification area icons (it happens every 1 second). However, as I said in my previous message, usually this refresh doesn't cause such a load on CPU.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 11/12/2011 11:27:07

Jim,

The subject issue appears to be fixed in the just released version 6.7.1. Please check it out and confirm the fix.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register