Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «AWM rule for Outlook reminders is also applied to other windows » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 11515

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 10/18/2011 12:36:28

Hello Vasiliy,

I have been encountering this problem for many months already, but this morning I finally noticed the pattern and was able to reproduce it. So here it goes.

I am using AWM 6.7 beta 1, but it also happened on older versions of AWM. On my desktop I am using Vista Ultimate 64-bit and on my laptop Vista Ultimate 32-bit. The problem is present on both machines.

In Outlook 2007 I have made a rule for my Reminder window to minimize that window after 15 seconds of inactivity. That works, but it also works on other windows in some circumstances, where it should do nothing.

The specific settings for the Reminder window are:
- Window class: #32770
- Window caption: “Reminder” (substring match)
- Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE

The only specific setting is Minimize Window Automatically after deactivation with a delay of 15 seconds.

The problem is that this setting also minimises task windows and e-mail windows after the same time setting for minimisation after deactivation. This happens only when a task or e-mail is opened from within Outlook (i.e. not activating them by clicking a button on the taskbar for an already opened item). Also must the Reminder window be open (there must be reminders), and that window must not yet be minimised automatically by AWM. In other words: it only happens when I open a task or e-mail from within Outlook right after the Reminder window appeared and within the time delay entered for Minimize Window Automatically after deactivation. When I switch off the reminder rule, the minimisation of these windows does not occur.

The strange part is that the properties of the task window and e-mail window are different from the specifications of the Reminder window and still they are affected by this rule.

The task and e-mail windows have as properties:
- Window class: rctrl_renwnd32
- Window caption: [the title of the task or e-mail]
- Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE

Even stranger is that this happens irrespective of which property of the Reminder window is selected as the determinant of the specific setting for the Reminder window in AWM. If I only select Windows class it happens. If I only select Window caption it happens. If I select any combination of determinants it happens.

What seems to be happening is the following. Outlook by itself already minimises the Reminder window when another task or e-mail window is opened. AWM somehow does not notice that and minimises the e-mail or task window instead of the Reminder window, which was already minimised by Outlook. But how it confuses a task or e-mail window with the Reminder window which have different Window classes I do not understand.

I have tried a full reinstall of AWM, but it did not help. I have send my configuration files to the support address, because I suspect you will want to take a look at them Vasiliy.

Many thanks in advance for taking a look at this.

Best regards.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 10/20/2011 00:31:06

Hello Pim,

Thanks for the post.

The problem has been confirmed.

We'll try to fix it.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 11/12/2011 10:13:16

Hello Vasiliy,

Thank you for your speedy fix of this problem in AWM 6.7.1!

Best regards.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 11/12/2011 11:31:26

Pim,

You're always welcome! :) Thank you for confirming the fix.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register