Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[FIXED] Different notepads, Different methods » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 10346

Kevin Wisner

Posted: 07/28/2006 10:09:25

Ok all, I've got another question for you.

Let's say I want to open all notepad files with a "Run Minimized" parameter.  Easy enough, right?  Make a new rule for notepad files, make sure "exact window name" does not matter here, so make sure the "Exact Window Name" box is not checked.  And then just check the box which says "Open Minimized"

Now let's say that I want one particular notepad file to open Maximized.  Let's call this particular notepad file Library.txt.

So I make a new rule for Library.txt which says to open in a "Maximized Window".  In other words, it should not open minimized.

Hmmm.  Now that I've done this, I notice that my first rule pertaining to Notepad files OVERRULES the specific Library.txt rule that I have created, even though with the Library.txt rule, I have specified that this rule pertains exclusively to the window named "Library.txt-notepad".

Soooo, how can I get Library.txt to open maximized, but all other notepad files to open minimized?

Thanks,
Kevin Wisner

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 07/28/2006 11:26:18

To say briefly - you should place your "library.txt" rule before the general Notepad rule.

This answer and its detailed explanation are available in the "Principles of Operation -> Specific Windows" Help article which you can read either in AWM Help or here (turn your attention to the note at the end of this article).

Also I would recommend you to read the "Principles of Operation" Help section in whole to get the better understanding on how AWM works and, consequently, use it in more effective and deliberate way.

Kevin Wisner

Posted: 07/29/2006 14:22:02

Thanks, yes, I actually knew that.  I should have specified such in my first post.

Anyways, I've played with the problem a little bit more here, and finally figured out that it seems to be more of a bug than a problem.  The bug is that Actual Window Manager is not recognizing specific notepad files when they initially open.  It recognizes ALL notepad files when they initially open, but it doesn't recognize SPECIFIC notepad files when they initially open, such as Library.txt.

In order to see Actual Windows Manager apply a rule to a specific notepad window that is ALREADY open, simply make any change to any rule in your list of rules, then save the change.  Actual Windows Manager will jump into action at this point, and your SPECIFIC notepad rule will be applied to your specific notepad file.  Actual Window Manager recognizes the specific notepad file at this point because it is already open.  However, if you close the specific notepad file and then reopen it, Actual Window Manager will not recognize it.

I have all three boxes checked in my specific notepad rule.  (Window class, window caption with exact match, program).

Could someone please verify whether or not this is a true bug, or if something funny is just happening on my system alone?  I've tried creating rules for different notepad files, with always the same results.

Thanks,
Kevin Wisner

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 08/01/2006 05:49:14

Yes, it's an old and well-known problem with the document-oriented applications (like Notepad, MS Word, MS Excel etc.). It's been discussed, for example, here.

Kevin Wisner

Posted: 08/01/2006 23:19:50

Your link above points to a post which explains that notepad, excel, and other programs rename documents after they're opened.  That's interesting, and correct of course.  I just wrote a small macro so that I could find out the original name of Library.txt (or any notepad file) when it originally opens, and it opens as Untitled - Notepad.  The window title changes to its "correct" title in less than a second.  Very interesting, lol.  Who invented that?  lol, just kidding.

Oh well, guess I'll have to write some small macros until the new version of Actual Windows Manager comes out with this fix.

Thanks,
Kevin Wisner

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 09/10/2006 22:59:41

I believe this old and well-known issue is finally fixed. Please, check the last beta to make sure of it. We plan to include this fix into the next 4.2 version of Actual Tools.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register