Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «AWM Bugs (Win Key, Sys Tray) » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 8110

Mike Nelson

Posted: 09/23/2011 07:21:07

Power went out during the night which forced a restart of my computer this morning. This led me to discover an interesting set of bugs. I'm using AWM (still in 60day trial mode) with Win7 64bit.

First I noticed that I had some systray icons missing. The programs were running, but just not visible in the systray. While trying to fix that, I realized that my Win key no longer brought up the start menu. This led me to guess that AWM was the issue, so I disabled and closed AWM entirely. That didn't solve any issues, it did however cause all windows to be minimized to the desktop (as a small bar on the bottom left) instead of the taskbar.

I did a normal reboot which didn't solve anything. The issues remained the same. Finally I told AWM not to start with Windows and restarted again. When my computer was booted, my Win key worked, all my systray icons were back and everything minimized properly. Finally I manually started up AWM and now things are working as expected.

It seems that there is some issue related to starting with Windows and these errors.

Clivian

Posted: 09/24/2011 19:38:18

I had a similar problem... My Start Menu didn't open with the [WIN] and [CTRL + ESC] hotkeys. Clicking on the Windows Button on the Taskbark worked as it should, it was just the hotkeys.

BTW, this thread seems to be about the same issue.

After some testing I figured out that there was some conflict with ObjectDock. If ObjectDock wasn't running the hotkeys were fine, but if I started ObjectDock after AWM the Start Menu wouldn't open. The only way I found to fix it is to stop AWP, kill the explorer.exe process, restart explorer.exe and run AWP again. Then the hotkeys worked as they should. In other words AWP had to be started after ObjectDock for everything to work properly.

I tested the same thing with older versions of AWP - 6.4 had the same problem, 6.0 didn't seem to have that bug, hotkeys worked.

Going back to 6.6, I tried to exclude all of ObjectDock's windows but that didn't work either. It's got something to with tray because ObjectDock has an option to temporarily disable the tray module. Without the tray module everything worked as expected.

Right now, as a workaround, I'm using Startup Delayer to delay AWP a few seconds on startup, just so it can start after ObjectDock and I don't have to do it manually every time.

For the record, I'm also on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and I'm using ObjectDock 2.0 Plus. Hope this helps Vasiliy Ivachev figure out where the issue is. ;)

Mike Nelson

Posted: 09/24/2011 21:35:07

Interesting..

I did have Object Dock.. but I uninstalled it because I didn't need it anymore with pinning on the secondary monitor.

Indeed a delayed startup solves the issues. So simply put, I can just start AWM manually after Windows boots till these bugs are fixed.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 09/26/2011 03:54:26

Hello Mike and Clivian,

Thanks for your messages.

What version of Stardock ObjectDock do you use?
Free or Plus?

Does the problem is reproducible every time?

Could you do the following:
1. ObjectDock -> Settings -> Settings... -> Settings tab -> Troubleshooting Options -> Open my ObjectDock settings folder so I can backup my settings;
2. Please, send me (support@actualtools.com) all files from the folder.

Best regards.

Clivian

Posted: 09/26/2011 05:25:40

I use the 2.0 Plus version and yes the problem is reproducible every time.

If I turn on the option "Temporarily disable ObjectDock's System Tray ability." the problem disappears. None of the other options that disable modules seemed to effect the bug, just the System Tray. Since the free version of OD doesn't have System Tray I guess it's not going to trigger the bug.

Also note that when you disable OD's Tray and restart it, the hotkeys still don't work. You have to log on/off or restart the explorer.exe process after the Tray has been disabled.

I tested it with just Actual Title Buttons (6.6 Trial) installed and the problem was still there.

Sent you a copy of my settings to support@actualtools.com, feel free to contact me if you need further help to reproduce the issue. :)

Mike Nelson

Posted: 09/27/2011 10:25:27

I actually uninstalled OD before I installed AWM. So in my case, it may not be related to OD. However, I had the free version of 2.0.

I get the issues everytime I reboot and have AWM start with Windows.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 10/05/2011 23:57:28

Hello guys,

Could you check whether the problem still persists in the new beta version (http://www.actualtools.com/beta/) or not?

Best regards.

Mike Nelson

Posted: 10/18/2011 16:13:13

Totally forgot about this thread. Yeah, I'll give it a test this weekend.

Also, Clivian, you don't need Startup Delayer (Yet another program to run as a background process), you can use Windows Task Scheduler to delay startup task natively in Windows.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register