Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Ctrl-Esc and Win Key do not raise Start Menu » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 12947

Ed D

Posted: 06/01/2011 23:36:53

I'm running Actual Window Manager 6.5 on Windows 7 x64 and am having a problem with some standard Windows hot keys.

Pressing Ctrl-Esc does not make the Start Menu appear.  Similarly, pressing the Win key does not make the Start Menu appear either.

If I completely close AWM and kill the explorer.exe process, then restart explorer.exe and AWM, the hot keys work properly.

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

- Ed -

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 06/03/2011 05:09:14

Hello Ed,

Thanks for the post.

What antivirus and firewall systems do you have?

What third party software do you use?

Best regards.

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 06/05/2011 18:32:56

I occasionally have this issue as well. It seemingly happens at random, and when these keys are disabled, it also stops the mouse-drag functions.

I'm using Windows firewall and Kaspersky Antivirus.

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 06/06/2011 02:44:13

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the message.

What OS are you running?

Best regards.

zegames zegames
Advanced user

Posted: 06/06/2011 17:38:26

Haha! Same issue I reported weeks ago, Ivachev should remember. This is not as rare as we think, it occur sometimes here.

Steve Kalide
Advanced user

Posted: 06/06/2011 21:23:57

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Win7/Win8.1 Pro (x64)
AWM 8.3b2

Ed D

Posted: 06/06/2011 21:42:42

Hi Vasiliy,

AV: Microsoft Security Essentials

FW: Windows Firewall

Note: Until a few days before the ctrl-esc problem was noted, I was running Zone Alarm for both AV and FW.  ZA hass been completely uninstalled so I can test MSE and Windows Firewall.

The ctrl-esc issue did not exist until after upgrading to AWM 6.5.  The problem seems to exist as soon as Windows starts up (i.e. - it's not like ctrl-esc works for awhile and then just stops working), although I haven't tested this too thoroughly.

3rd party software? Man, where to begin.  Any specific type you're looking for? I usually disable most if not all program-specific hotkeys in any application. The only software I'm running that I can think of off the top of my head that might mess with the operations is Soluto, though I'm also running a 3rd-party app to manage the Windows Firewall through the tray (Windows Firewall Control - BiniSoft.org).

Here's the list of constant-running apps that are launched on boot and live in the tray:
- MSE
- Windows Firewall Control
- Soluto
- Evernote
- Belkin Network USB Hub Control Center
- Google Music
- F.lux
- SugarSync
- Everything search tool (voidtools.com)
- Mozy

I think that's about it.  Obviously, there are other background processes and services running as well, but few of them have any UI interaction. Productivity and development apps (MS office, Adobe CS4, Visual Studio, etc.) are started as needed, but aren't started on boot, so the ctrl-esc problem exists before any of them are launched.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know to try to help troubleshoot.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 06/09/2011 00:50:52

Hello gentlemen,

Thanks for your messages.

Unfortunately, we can't reproduce the problem.

But we'll investigate this problem as soon as possible.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register