Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Elevated CPU usage in explorer » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 9456

theo

Posted: 05/11/2011 11:27:13

I'm a long time user of Ultramon and am demoing Actual Windows Manager 6.4 on my Windows XP SP3 laptop.  I like most of the features and new enhancements available in this product but have one major issue with it.

When I have "Enable multi-monitor Taskbar" enabled (with Start, Notification, clock enabled) I get 25-30% CPU utilization.  Unchecking Start, Notification, clock do not measurably affect this.   If I enable "Replace the primary Taskbar" CPU goes down to about 9% CPU but I lose a custom clock control that I use that works with the normal taskbar.

I have a number of items in the taskbar which update constantly (taskmgr or Process Explorer, and Comodo Firewall) and I if I disable the task bar updates for those CPU will drop from 25% to 20%.

I contrast this with ultramon which has always had zero CPU usage.  and I currently am using it in place of AWM for the second taskbar but using AWM for all windows management for the time being.

Procexp makes it looks like its in GetDC or similar graphic handling calls coming from aimemb.dll.

Is this a bug or normal operation?

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 05/11/2011 22:03:35

Hello Theo,

Thanks for the post.

Could you send me ( support@actualtools.com ) a list of running processes in your computer and your hardware configuration?

Best regards.

theo

Posted: 05/13/2011 16:15:20

I had to reboot my computer and the problem seems to have disappeared for the time being. I've tried to reproduce with my typical software layout and cannot.  Will continue to see if it comes back and will post software/hardware specs then.  Otherwise I suppose its just one of those unexplainable things.

theo

Posted: 05/13/2011 20:02:20

New Update.  It did it again.  Noticed it was running about 12-13% and shutdown just about every app I had.  The CPU gradually lowered to about 1%.  I believe the problem is related to the Excel Workbooks open on my secondary screen.  

I had 2-3 Workbooks open in one Excel instance and 2-3 open in a second instance.  So I'm guessing the problem is related to apps that have more than one top level Window exposed on the taskbar.  The excel workbooks were nothing special.  I was not able to elevate the CPU further than 11% after closing everything but definitely seems related to Excel.  If I move all workbooks off the second screen CPU goes down to zero but with them there it is 10% in explorer.exe.

Running on standard Lenovo Thinkpad T60p laptop with Windows XP Professional SP3 and Office 2003 Professional.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 05/15/2011 23:10:55

Hello Theo,

Could you send me a screenshot of the multi-monitor Taskbar settings page (Actual Window Manager -> Multiple Monitors -> Taskbar)?

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register