Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Some AWM 6.2 bugs » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 13376

Michael Beight

Posted: 09/30/2010 17:00:37

Hi Alexey,

I have just upgraded to AWM 6.2 from old version 5.4, and am happy to find some nice improvements and fixes.

However I did find a few bugs.  I am running Windows XP x64 (version 2003 SP2), in an administrator account.

• 1) When the titlebars of some (not all) windows are double-clicked, the windows maximize (the usual Windows behavior), but there are two problems:

- "Ghost" buttons are left behind in the titlebar, although working buttons appear in the new correct place (next to the minimize-maximize-close buttons).

- While the window is maximizing, it takes a longer time to draw the newly revealed part of the window (the right half of the window).  This longer time is especially noticeable when the window is translucent.  There is some flickering of the titlebar, too, which indicats to me that a whole lot of CPU-intensive "redrawing" is being done somehow.

- Sometimes, after the flickering is done, the titlebar will disappear entirely (The screenshot of Windows Explorer shows a great example of this).

Some programs that this occurs in:
    Actual Window Manager 6.2 [32-bit], Internet Explorer 8.0.6 (32-bit), FlashFXP 3.4.0 [32-bit], Windows Explorer [64-bit], uTorrent 2.0.4 [32-bit], GetRight 6.3e [32-bit], WinRAR 3.80 [32-bit].

Some programs that this does not occur in:
    Firefox 3.6.8 [32-bit], Internet Explorer 8.0.6 (64-bit), A.F.5 Rename your files [32-bit], EditPad Pro [32-bit].

User added an image

This messed-up titlebar thing also happens when the normal "maximize" button is pushed, with a slight difference: The maximization looks normal, until the window is minimized and restored -- *then* the behavior returns.

• 2) Whenever AWM is turned off or on (including when AWM settings are saved), the Taskbar goes to no-transparency (if it had transparency).

• 3) When the AWM window is on a "settings" page (either "Default settings" or a "Specific settings") and the window is sized too small for all the lower toolbar buttons to show (Index, Startup, Closing, ...), little 'mover' buttons appear to reveal the hidden buttons, like so:

User added an image

But when the window is resized horizontally, the mover buttons disappear:

User added an image

- By the way, is there an option to turn off "the stretching of the Start button to the multiline Taskbar"?  The "What's New" page says to look at the "Taskbar panel", but I cannot find this:  Is it supposed to be in the Options window?

I actually really like this feature, but just cannot find any option for it in AWM.

Tatiana Jack
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 10/01/2010 03:02:17

Dear Michael,

Thank for the post.

The problem with the buttons and Configuration Panels were confirmed. We'll fix it.

We created the option to set Transparency for taskbars. And remove the ability to set the transparency for taskbar via rules.

Note we added the addition tabs to Configuration: Virtual Desktops and Multiple Monitors. In the Multiple Monitors tab in the left area you can find the Taskbar button. There are the Stretch the Start button out to the taskbar and the Transparency options.

E-mail: support@actualtools.com

Michael Beight

Posted: 10/01/2010 06:49:50

Hi Tatiana,
thanks.

• 1) Any idea about this?
    It's a long-standing bug to me (since at least AWM v5.4).  And what's funny is, the programs that it happens to have changed since then:  Some programs have jumped from "affected" to "not affected", while others have jumped the other way :D.  

Maybe it only happens on XP x64, which would explain why it has stayed so long?  It is (by far) the only reason I consider stopping using AWM.

• 2)
    In the Multiple Monitors tab[, there is] the Transparency option.
    This partially fixed my problem.  However, still there is an issue for me:

AWM assumes that it is the only program using the transparency of the Taskbar.  So even if I uncheck "Transparency", AWM sets the transparency of my Taskbar to 0 (opaque)!  I just want it to not affect transparency at all.

• 3)
    The problem [..] was confirmed. We'll fix it.
    Awesome, thanks.

------------------
    -
    In the Multiple Monitors tab[, there is] the Stretch the Start button out to the taskbar option.

Hey this worked.

I wonder why it's on the Multiple Monitors page though, as it affects me whether I'm using Multiple Monitors or not?

In fact, the same could be said about "taskbar buttons reordering", "tray icons reordering", and Taskbar "transparency".

Michael Beight

Posted: 11/06/2010 10:53:41

Hi,

Any idea about these three issues still open here?:

There is the Maximize bug, (1);

the takbar-transparency thing, (2);

and the options appearing on possibly the wrong page.

I would just describe them here, but they are all written out in the previous post, right before this one.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 11/10/2010 03:54:34

Hi Michael,

(1) Install Actual Window Manager 6.3 beta 2. The Maximize bug seems fixed.

(2) Could you clarify the need of this thing?

Michael Beight

Posted: 11/10/2010 05:33:26

Vasiliy Ivachev wrote:
(1) Install Actual Window Manager 6.3 beta 2. The Maximize bug seems fixed.

Okay. I have figured out what it is.  After much experimentation, I have narrowed it down to this:
The "maximize bug" happens only when both of these conditions exist:
(a) the "Restrict Placement: Top" is <= 0;  and
(b) the "Restrict Placement: Top" plus the "Restrict Placement: Bottom" is > -8.

For example:

If Top = -4 and Bottom = -2, the bug happens.
If Top = -4 and Bottom = -3, the bug happens.
If Top = -4 and Bottom = -4, the bug does not happen.
If Top = -4 and Bottom = -5, the bug does not happen.
If Top = -4 and Bottom = -6, the bug does not happen.

If Top = -3 and Bottom = -2, the bug happens.
If Top = -3 and Bottom = -3, the bug happens.
If Top = -3 and Bottom = -4, the bug happens.
If Top = -3 and Bottom = -5, the bug does not happen.
If Top = -3 and Bottom = -6, the bug does not happen.

If Top = 0 and Bottom = -6, the bug happens.
If Top = 0 and Bottom = -7, the bug happens.
If Top = 0 and Bottom = -8, the bug does not happen.
If Top = 0 and Bottom = -9, the bug does not happen.

If Top = 1 and Bottom = -7, the bug does not happen.
If Top = 1 and Bottom = -8, the bug does not happen.
If Top = 1 and Bottom = -9, the bug does not happen.
If Top = 1 and Bottom = -10, the bug does not happen.

(2) Could you clarify the need of this thing?

Well, basically I want to use _another_ program to modify the transparency of the Taskbar (i.e., not AWM).  But when I uncheck "Transparency" in AWM, AWM sets the transparency of my Taskbar to 0 (opaque)!  I just want it to not affect transparency at all.

AWM will keep setting the Transparency to 0 every time I modify _any_ settings in AWM and press the Save button.

I am also wondering why the following options are on the Multiple Monitors page:
"taskbar buttons reordering", "tray icons reordering", "Stretch the Start button..", and Taskbar "Transparency".
Maybe this is just me, but they have nothing to with Multiple Monitors; they're a global Windows thing.

[I guess this should go under "Feature requests" really; but it's not exactly a new feature...]

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 11/10/2010 23:33:08

Hi Michael,

Thanks for clarifying these problems.
The problems were confirmed.
We'll inform you when they are fixed.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics