Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «AWM 6.1 dialog box flicker in Win 7 » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 7544

tranglos

Posted: 08/03/2010 21:21:44

I have just upgraded fr om XP to Windows 7 (clean install), and have discovered a minor issue in AWM 6.1 that was not present in XP.

In many, but not all applications, dialog boxes open with some significant flicker. The dialog box is first drawn (sometimes only partially, sometimes completely), then it disappears and is redrawn at a slightly different position, which always seems to be to the left and a little below where the dialog was first drawn. This happens very fast, but is very easy to see. A few times I think I saw the titlebar buttons drawn by AWM even before the window itself was drawn.

Since I'm in the middle of installing the OS and all software, I haven't spent a lot of time investigating, but it appears that the problem only occurs (or is only perceptible) in the following cases:

a) only in Delphi applications (including my own, written in Delphi 3 and 6).

b) only (or especially, I'm not sure) when the application remembers dialog box positions when moved by user.

In addition, the problem also seems to affect main application windows (not modal dialog boxes). This is visible when starting apps and when restoring them from minimized state.

One application wh ere this is very easy to see is Total Commander - the flickering happens when opening the "Find files" dialog box. It does not happen in Firefox, Explorer or any other apps I've tried that I know are not compiled with Delphi.

It may only affect applications written in earlier versions of Delphi. I have noticed that the problem does not occur when the dialog boxes open with the "zoom out" animation effect, which was not supported until Delphi 2007 or so. TheBat and a few other more modern apps do not exhibit this issue.

Excluding the specific dialog box from AWM cures the problem, but that of course means having to exclude a lot of windows.

Please let me know if I can provide any more information.

Tatiana Jack
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 08/04/2010 03:03:36

Thank you!!!

The problem was confirmed. WE'll fix it.

E-mail: support@actualtools.com

tranglos

Posted: 08/04/2010 08:51:17

Hi Tatiana,

Thank you for the confirmation. I want to make a slight correction to my description from yesterday.

I have just noticed that the problem also occurs in some .Net-based applications, e.g. the Ultralingua dictionary (Options dialog box) and Swift To-Do List (by Dextronet, Add Task dialog box). Swift To-Do List used to be written in Delphi, so maybe they're using the .Net version of Delphi now.

In either case, the applications do **not** restore the last position of the dialog boxes. It would seem that, contrary to my previous observation, the application puts the dialog box in the default position, then AWM repositions the dialog for some reason.

tranglos

Posted: 11/08/2010 11:24:58

Just installed AWM 6.3 beta 2, and the flicker appears to be gone. Great job, and thank you!

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register