Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Monitor Placement is changing » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 7588

Vagyok C4

Posted: 06/23/2010 17:26:37

How do I get my configuration to become "read-only" because my monitor position is changing when it shouldn't.

For example, I tell a program to start on Monitor #3, and after I power down my monitors and power them back on, the setting has been changed to Monitor 7.

Where is the file located that stores the configuration so I can make it read-only to see if that fixes the problem?

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 06/28/2010 04:36:11

By default, the configuration files are stored in the folder like %UserProfile%\Application Data\Actual Tools\Actual Window Manager.

Please could you send us a screenshot of your display configuration? The problem looks quite strange.

Vagyok C4

Posted: 07/04/2010 13:42:45

Ok!  That didn't work.  I was able to find the file, and make it read-only so that when I save settings from within the GUI it gives me an error whenever the file is read-only.

Unfortunately that didn't fix the problem.  Whenever I turn off my monitors (8 monitors), I have two that are different brand, and they take a little longer to wake up.  This for some reason tells Windows to change monitor settings of applications, including yours.  I was hoping your program would be immune to this "feature".

Not sure what you mean by screen capture?  I would be interested in working with you more closely to get this corrected as there are quite a few people having problems with this "feature" and all of us are looking for a rock solid software solution.

Tatiana Jack
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 07/14/2010 07:59:34

Dear Vagyok,

To investigate the issue we should know your display configuration in system. Could you make a screen capture of the system window Settings tab in Display properties like in picture?

E-mail: support@actualtools.com

Vagyok C4

Posted: 07/14/2010 11:21:57

Here it is.  

As you can see, the crux of the problem is the fact that I have two monitors that are different than the others, and they take a little longer to warm up and turn on.

This causes windows to think the monitors are not there and change window settings.

User added an image

Tatiana Jack
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 07/15/2010 04:47:19

Thank you, Vagyok!

We are investigating the issue. I'll let you know about results.

Vagyok C4

Posted: 08/27/2010 19:45:30

Ok,

My 60 day trial has expired, and still I have not been able to get your program to work "like it should".  I've tried to work with your tech. support, but nothing has come of it.

At this point in time I don't feel purchasing a product that does not work correctly is in the cards, however if you can get this "glitch" fixed I would be interested in purchasing.

Is it possible to extend my trial while I work with your tech. support team to get this software working as it should?

Again, I see the main BUG is the way AWM allows the target monitors to change "because windows tells it to change".  The problem with Windows is that whenever you turn off your monitors, Windows 7 wants to change everything around, via re-ordering the list of available monitors.

Your software should allow me to specify which monitor an application's window belongs to, and never change those settings unless directed to by the end user.  Even when Windows has a different monitor setting, your program should incest on the settings provided regardless of what Windows is telling your software.  For example:  If I set a program on Monitor 4, and windows tells your software Monitor 4 is no longer there, your software should attempt to put the application on Monitor 4 (because by the time I do the Windows Key + F5 to restore locations, all monitors are up and accounted for) even though windows has already forced your software to think the monitors weren't there.

Awaiting your response,
VagyokC4

Tatiana Jack
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 08/31/2010 05:56:57

Vagyok,

It seems we found the cause of the problem and we are solving it. In the near future we are planning to release the beta version with the changes. For testing the version you shouldn't register your software.

I'll let you know about the release.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register