Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[FIXED]Win 7: Virtual Switcher loses characteristics after theme reset , If Windows switches to "basic" theme (video memory shortage). » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 6511

Terry

Posted: 04/14/2010 19:10:09

I have a rather highly powered PC with Windows 7, 64-bit, and dual graphics cards (4-DVI monitors, 2gb total video RAM, 9gb RAM).

Regardless, Windows 7 has the annoying habit of switching from Aero based themes to "basic" (i.e., no transparency) from time to time, which I have come to accept for now.

The Actual Window Manager related issue, however, (unless it could be causing the video ram shortage?); is that the Virtual Desktops Switcher widget loses its characteristics and becomes tiny.

I have a shortcut to the Theme Manager to restore Aero, but the VDS widget does not restore unless I stop/start AWM.

Normal VDS:

User added an image

"Tiny" (undesirable) VDS:

User added an image

Alexander Belyakov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 04/14/2010 20:56:49

Terry,

Does the Virtual Desktops Switcher become "tiny" when Aero switches to Basic, or when you restore the Aero theme?

Terry

Posted: 06/04/2010 18:30:38

Thanks for the question, Alexander.

Since my original post, I have had many occurrences when Windows 7 switches to Basic (from a transparent Aero theme) ... unfortunately, this is occurring more frequently now with Version 6.1 of AWM.

However, many times that this "automatic" video mode downgrading occurs, the Virtual switch does NOT become tiny. It only has this "tiny-fication" behavior at random times.

So this particular problem has become harder to pin down.

Regardless, in order of priority, I would like assistance:

• Determining how to reduce or eliminate occurrences of Windows switching to BASIC Aero mode. This is obviously most important, since tinyification of VDS won't happen if Aero switch to BASIC is avoided.

• Minimizing the disruption of the switch to BASIC mode when it must occur (i.e., figuring out how to resolve the tiny-VDS problem).

Thank-you.

Alexander Belyakov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 06/04/2010 22:30:14

Terry,

I suspect this switching is caused by the system resources exhaustion.
Have you ever seen the switching to Basic theme, when your system runs only several application, or only at relatively high load?

Terry

Posted: 06/04/2010 22:43:37

Certainly the switch to Basic theme happens more under high-load (and that is perhaps, excusable), however, it happens surprisingly frequently when the system is under relatively minimal load.

I have and i7 processor, and 9 GB of RAM, with 2 GTS250 video cards (total of 4096 video RAM). I am running 4 monitors at 1600 x 1200 resolution.

Certainly that is heavy load -- but with 8 cores and all the RAM mentioned, it is frustrating that Windows 7 cannot better allocate memory to consistently support Aero. ... right??

Alexander Belyakov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 06/05/2010 03:33:23

Terry,

Please make two-three screenshots of the Processes tab in Task Manager, next times the theme switches to Basic.
Please enable the following columns in the Task Manager beforehand: Commit Size, USER Objects, GDI Objects, Handles, so it looks similar to the picture below. We are mostly interested in the processes running in your account, so please don't press "Show processes from all users" button.

Terry

Posted: 08/09/2011 00:10:33

Problem appears to be resolved. One of the AWM upgrades must have helped.

Thank-you.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 08/25/2011 08:30:20

Terry,

Thank you for the follow-up.

Please keep providing us with your feedback. Thanks!

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register