New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 11 - 17 of 17
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «[FIXED] Pinning to taskbar not working on secondary screens » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 29689

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/08/2022 22:43:54

Andre,

I feel like we're going in circles, you're basically asking the same questions all over
I don't think we're going in circles. You begun with "It appears to happen to all non-Microsoft apps" then the range of the "problem" apps was narrowed down to "not all applications" but you still haven't specified any "problem" apps except WhatsApp.

At this point it's important to establish the range of the programs you've noticed this problem with. We can do this if you answer the questions from my previous message.

when my computer wakes up after hibernating, all the taskbar items are showing up on the main screen (including the apps that are running on secondary screens).
Do all applications from the secondary screen stay on this screen upon waking up from hibernation or some of them are moved to the main monitor?

What monitor you use and what interface you use to connect it to the computer (HDMI, DVI etc.)?

Could you disable the secondary monitor via its power button, then after couple of minutes open the standard Windows Display settings and see whether the secondary monitor is presented in the settings. Let us know the results.

Andre

Posted: 12/16/2022 19:35:42

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1679877389
https://www.actualtools.com/forum/read.php?PAGEN_1=1&FID=10&TID=6077#nav_start

I don't think we're going in circles. You begun with "It appears to happen to all non-Microsoft apps" then the range of the "problem" apps was narrowed down to "not all applications" but you still haven't specified any "problem" apps except WhatsApp.

At this point it's important to establish the range of the programs you've noticed this problem with. We can do this if you answer the questions from my previous message.

It's been 2 months since I opened this thread, and so far you haven't proposed any suggestion of anything I can try, you just come up with counter questions to my questions. After 2 months.. yeah that's DEFINITELY going in circles. I've worked in IT support for over 20 years myself and this is definitely not good customer service. Doesn't AMM produce logs that you can analyze rather than endlessly having to go back and forth?

I'll give it one last try - do note that if you are again not going to come up with anything actionable I'm just going to give up as this is a total waste of my time and the whole point of this app is that it's supposed to make my life easier.

I guess as we've established that the problem happens not to all non-Microsoft apps, could you specify the applications you're sure the problem happens with. If there are too many such apps you can specify several the most popular of them.

Are there any non-UWP apps among them (roughly speaking "the apps that are not from Microsoft Store")? Please specify some of them too.

Do you feel like most of the applications you use have this problem? Or is it more like half of them or even less?

Do you have any guess what the "problem" apps can have in common?

Problem happens with:
Telegram
Spotify
Tradingview
Trello

Problem does not happen with:
Discord
Whatsapp
Chrome
Firefox
Nitro Pro

Some of the problematic apps are installed through Microsoft Store, and some are not. The same goes for the non-problematic ones. So it doesn't seem to be related to that. I have also tried to unpin/restart/repin the problematic apps and they keep having the problem. I do not have any guess what the problematic apps have in common.

Regarding the wake-up from sleep/hibernation issue:

Do all applications from the secondary screen stay on this screen upon waking up from hibernation or some of them are moved to the main monitor?

As I said, when the computer wakes up, the apps show up on the correct monitors but their taskbar item all show up on the main monitor.

What monitor you use and what interface you use to connect it to the computer (HDMI, DVI etc.)?

Lenovo Thinkvision monitors, connected with HDMI.

Could you disable the secondary monitor via its power button, then after couple of minutes open the standard Windows Display settings and see whether the secondary monitor is presented in the settings. Let us know the results.

Yes, after disabling a secondary monitor with its power button, 5 minutes later it still shows up in Display Settings.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/20/2022 10:03:46

Andre,

Using the information about other apps that have this problem I was able to reproduce the problem. We'll try to fix it and will post here when it's fixed.

For now you can use the following workaround: find the application icon in Start Menu, right-click it and then select More > Pin to taskbar. Then click the pinned icon with right mouse button with the Shift button pressed and select Create Shortcut - the shortcut should appear on the desktop. Then you can pin this working shorcut to Actual Multiple Monitors taskbars by dragging it to the taskbar.

I was able to reproduce the problem having the information about TradingView in particular. How was I supposed to do it if my information was "The problem does not happen with Notepad, Microsoft Store, Outlook. It does happen to every other app" which is apparently not truth?

There indeed was a delay in replying to you and I apologized for that. But delay in replying is not what you call "going in circles". See, not all applications have the ability to collect logs for every its part (honestly, I don't think that too many apps have such ability). And with some problems it may be not so easy to understand what causes them. And if we're not able to reproduce it then we can start asking "Counter questions to your questions" - it's called gathering additional information which may help us to understand the problem.

As for the second problem, please specify the applications you've noticed the problem with (if they're MS Store versions - specify this too).

What are the values of the "Change the size of text..." option from Windows Display Settings for each monitor?

Could you disable the option "Bind the layout to the desktop geometry" and see whether the applications stay on the secondary monitors upon waking the computer from hibernation (AMM configuration module > Layout and snap > Windows layout > Bind the layout...)?

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/20/2022 10:16:16

By the way, the applications the first problem happens with are mainly UWP applications (some of them are UWP applications technically - despite not being MS Store apps they're installed in the folder for UWP apps). Am I right that it's only Tradingview in the list (Telegram, Spotify, Tradingview, Trello) that is not an MS Store application? Are there any non-MS Store applications you've noticed the problem with besides Tradingview?

Andre

Posted: 12/21/2022 20:31:35

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Using the information about other apps that have this problem I was able to reproduce the problem. We'll try to fix it and will post here when it's fixed.

For now you can use the following workaround: find the application icon in Start Menu, right-click it and then sel ect More > Pin to taskbar. Then click the pinned icon with right mouse button with the Shift button pressed and sel ect Create Shortcut - the shortcut should appear on the desktop. Then you can pin this working shorcut to Actual Multiple Monitors taskbars by dragging it to the taskbar

Excellent. That seems to work for now, thank you!

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
By the way, the applications the first problem happens with are mainly UWP applications (some of them are UWP applications technically - despite not being MS Store apps they're installed in the folder for UWP apps). Am I right that it's only Tradingview in the list (Telegram, Spotify, Tradingview, Trello) that is not an MS Store application? Are there any non-MS Store applications you've noticed the problem with besides Tradingview?

That's not correct - Telegram is also a non MS Store application. I purposely listed 2 MS store apps (Trello + Spotify) and 2 non MS store apps (Tradingview and Telegram). Hope that helps.

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
As for the second problem, please specify the applications you've noticed the problem with (if they're MS Store versions - specify this too).

What are the values of the "Change the size of text..." option from Windows Display Settings for each monitor?

Could you disable the option "Bind the layout to the desktop geometry" and see whether the applications stay on the secondary monitors upon waking the computer fr om hibernation (AMM configuration module > Layout and snap > Windows layout > Bind the layout...)?

Actually, now that I applied the workaround for the first problem, it looks like this may have also fixed the second problem, which would suggest it's probably caused by the same underlying issue. I will run some more tests over the coming days but so far it's looking good.

I do have two other issues, and I'll mention them here as I'm not sure whether it's related:

1. The Whatsapp application icon keeps showing up on the primary monitor, while it's actually open on another monitor. The application icon does also show up on the secondary monitor (so the icon shows up on two monitors simultanously). Pinning/unpinning the icon on the taskbar (both on primary and secondary monitors) doesn't change the behavior. So far Whatsapp seems to be the only app with this issue.

2. I'm trying to find a solution for this: I run two instances of Tradingview on 1 screen with a desktop divider. But in order to open 2 instances, I need to use a workaround. Because simply clicking the icon on the taskbar twice, doesn't open a second instance (and neither does it do so when I try to launch it fr om the start menu after the first instance is already opened). My workaround is that I open the first instance, open two tabs, then drag the tab outside of the first instance (which opens the second instance), and then I drag the second instance into the secondary divider. Even though this works, it's cumbersome as this causes that I need to manually open the correct tabs in each of the instances every time I start my computer. I want it to open two instances (one in each divider) with the correct tabs without having to use workarounds. Do you have any suggestions on how I can do this?

Thanks so much.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/28/2022 06:12:49

Andre,

The Whatsapp application icon keeps showing up on the primary monitor, while it's actually open on another monitor.

This is a known problem and it applies to all the standard UWP applications - the application's icon always persists in the standard Windows taskbar. We'll post in this topic when this problem is fixed.

You can test this problem with the standard UWP applications like Photos, MS Store etc. - it should happen with them too.

The only workaround for the problem is to use the Acutal Tools program taskbar instead of the standard Windows taskbar on the main monitor (Actual Tools program configuration module > Multiple Monitors > Taskbar > the option "Replace the system taskbar").

I'm trying to find a solution for this: I run two instances of Tradingview on 1 screen with a desktop divider

I guess the things you want to accomplish are related more to TradingView and you can't do much about them using our software.

Have you tried to close TradingView via the Exit menu item (or keyboard shortcut) like it's described in this page?

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/29/2023 02:07:27

Hello, Andre

I'm glad to notify you that the problem with pinned taskbar icons/taskbar buttons of some non-standard UWP applications has been fixed and the fix is available in the latest version 8.15 of Actual Multiple Monitors, and in Actual Window Manager as well. Now pinned icons of these applications should work correctly.

You can update your program to the latest version (program's tray icon context menu > Info > Check for Updates) or download the latest version manually, install it and confirm the fix.

Best regards.

Messages 11 - 17 of 17
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register