Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 19
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Screensaver issue on 4k » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 63039

Jaiden Watling

Posted: 12/29/2019 07:36:37

Hello! Long time user of your fabulous software. I literally can not stand using windows 10 without it now. Tabbed explorer should be a built into windows feature.

But- After updating my monitors to 4k monitors, whenever all 3 are on screensaver at the same time, it seems like the resolution decides to change to 1920x1080, and as soon as i wake them up.. Windows struggles to change the resolution back to 4k and everything resizes, some apps (mainly kodi) crash and the whole seizure like event takes about 10-20 seconds. I had thought that the issue was actually caused by the fact that until recently i was using nvidia display resolution scaling to upscale my last 1080p monitor to near 4k resolution, which i know to be somewhat janky at times, but now i'm running 3 identical monitors, all at the same resolution, all on displayport. I would just disable screensaver all together, but it's frankly one of my next most favourite features of the program, specifically the "Save Idle Screens" portion.

I guess what i'm wondering is; is anyone else having this issue? I've been considering completely uninstalling and re-installing Actual, or possibly trying the beta version.

I'm open to suggestions. :I

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 01/14/2020 06:57:02

Hello, Jaiden

Sorry for the delay in replying. We had a break due to holidays.

What version of Actual Window Manager are you running?

Does the problem depend on what screensaver you use? Does it happen with the standard Windows screensavers like Ribbons or 3d text?

What exactly screensaver you have this problem with?

whenever all 3 are on screensaver at the same time, it seems like the resolution decides to change to 1920x1080, and as soon as i wake them up
Do you mean it happens only when all 3 monitors shows the screensaver? Have you tried to start Save Idle Screens feature with the same screensaver but for particular monitors? Does the problem happen in this case?

Could you exit Actual Window Manager and set the same screensaver but in the Windows screensaver settings instead. Does the problem happen?

Best regards.

Jaiden Watling

Posted: 02/05/2020 10:19:31

Thank you for the reply!

So, since i initially posted i've tried some more troubleshooting, and has some limited success. The screensaver issue seems to have been at least mostly taken care of by uninstalling and reinstalling the program, However, i'm still hitting some major stability issues. I've just sat down to play around with it some more, and it seems like the more features of AWM i disable, the better my system responds, basically, Actual is slowing down my entire system dramatically. If i have actual running, & i attempt to drag a window across my desktop, it stutters, if i pause it, i get perfect 144hz, Also notable, tabbed explorer. If i have more than a handful of tabs open, every new tab takes upwards of 5+ seconds to open, i regularly find myself with 20+ tabs open, & have to stop & start closing tabs i'm not using at the moment, because my system is at basically a halt.

I'm at the point where i've started looking for alternatives for some key functions that i can't live without, but i'm almost certainly going to have to dump actual. The detriment is just high, it seems like no matter how many functions i disable, when i close the program, it's still noticeably more stable.
I'll attach my configuration files, in case that is the problem.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eokkunoCTHHt5vt5ABsTywj_i2eaQXh2/view?usp=sharing

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/07/2020 19:31:06

Jason,

Some users of our software encounter similar performance problems, but the problems are relatively rare and we haven't managed to figure out what exactly causes them. Most likely, they're associated with using of multi-core processors.

Are there any other ways the problem manifests itself besides the problems with dragging a window and with delay in opening of a new folder?

Do these problems start as soon as you start AWM or they start some time after this?

Did you try to see the system resources consumption in Task Manager when the problem happens? Could you open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc combination), reproduce the issue and see what processes have the highest values of the CPU and Memory parameters (in Windows 8 and  10 - the Details tab) when the system is slowed down. Let us know the results.

Could you provide your PC specifications – the CPU and graphics card models, RAM size?

What security software you're running?

Could you also try to disable the mouse-oriented options: AWM configuration module > Mouse > Drag and Scroll (all options), Multiple Monitors (Tight Monitor Boundaries and Wrap the Desktop). Also AWM configuration module > Multiple Monitors > Screen Saver > Save Idle Screens > Start automatically. Apply the changes and see whether the problem still persists. Please let us know the results.

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/08/2020 08:45:55

Jason,

Could you also clarify, did these stability issues first appear the same time the screensaver problem appeared, i.e. when you started to use 4k monitors?

Did you make any other changes in the system besides the change of monitors?

Best regards.

Jaiden Watling

Posted: 02/11/2020 01:42:25

Thank you again for the replies.

I've been trying to keep track of the issues as they come up, what i've noticed above all else, is that ALL of the problems seem to begin after AWM has been open for some time. I Regularly leave my PC on for several days at a time, though after noticing this connection, i've been trying to shutdown whenever possible. In fact, this has relieved most of my problems, however i do notice the screensaver issues still once in a while, where the system acts as though it has just discovered my 3 monitors, (I looked this issue up, it may actually be a Display port related issue, however, i have ONLY seen it determent the system  so much when AWM is running) Basically, all my windows get shoved into the top left corner of my primary display, the windows often look shrunk, as if the resolution had been changed from some low resolution, to my monitor's 4k resolution. at this point, if i had any fullscreen application running, it usually crashes, (for me, this is often KODI, as i leave it open pretty regularly)

From memory, i don't think AWM appears to be using extra resources when i've forcefully closed it before (i have to quite a bit when the screensaver issue happens, though i could be wrong)

I don't think the issues first started appearing when i switched to my 4k monitors, however, that was when the screensaver issue started presenting, which is the most deal breaking detriment, I'll try to force the issues to reoccur & document them as much as possible for you. i LOVE the actual software suite, and would be really sad to have to try and find alternatives, when AWM does everything in one.

If it would be helpful & possible, i'd even be willing to allow remote access to my PC so you can observe the issues, first hand

- I do not run antivirus software other than windows defender & MalwareBytes as a removal tool
- Other programs include; ShareX, Discord, Steam, Firefox, Kodi, Notepad ++, Gigabyte xtreme gaming engine (graphics card software) nvidia geforce experience, Logitech G Hub (mouse software), teamviewer, occasionally some others, but those are the ones i have open fairly regularly

here are my system specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard: ASRock x470 Master
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz - 32GB
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070

Jaiden Watling

Posted: 02/11/2020 02:09:40

Also worth noting, I'm not 100% sure if it's my regular powercycling, or the settings i've changed, but i am getting considerably better performance, but still there are a few glitches, namely the screensaver one, but it isn't as bad as previously, there isn't often a huge, several second hang anymore, everything just happens all at once, Kodi crashes, i see all my windows briefly resized, the taskbars (AWM) act like they crash and restart, and then everything readjusts, and we're back to normal

I've disabled tabbed explorer & default window settings. I was making the changes WHILE the system was slowed down, and every subsequent feature i disabled, increased the responsiveness of the system overall. once i disabled tabbed explorer, the determent was all but unnoticeable (unless you were specifically looking for it) the occasional dropped frames while dragging a window, sort of thing.

I'm going to now re-enable these settings, and leave my PC on until the issues come back, then i'll try and take a video or something.

here's a quick example of the tabbed explorer issue;
User added an image

That is after JUST enabling it. after i have racked up 20+ tabs, delay that by about 5 seconds, and that's what i'm dealing with

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/18/2020 22:14:36

Jaiden,

I've disabled tabbed explorer & default window settings. I was making the changes WHILE the system was slowed down
Are these the settings you mention here:
I'm not 100% sure if it's my regular powercycling, or the settings i've changed

Do you mean you disabled them before changing power cycling?

We'll be waiting for detailed description of the problems' manifestations.

Also, please answer the questions about the Screensavers problem from my first message in this topic.

Best regards.

Jaiden Watling

Posted: 06/11/2020 07:57:32

Okay. I'm back again.

I basically can't take this anymore.

Disregard whatever i've said previously, there were factors that i was not aware of effecting performance as well, i've now only got one issue, of which i am sure is specifically in regards to Actual, which has also been the main issue all along.

the very instant that my computer has all 3 monitors inactive and they go into their sleep mode, Actual window manager seems to "soft crash" i'll call it.

What this means is that the moment i move my mouse or otherwise wake up the displays, actual window manager attempts to "wake up" Note, while this is happening, i do not see my accessory task bars from Actual, Additionally, whenever this happens, every single window i have open gets shoved onto my main display. My mouse movement becomes delayed/strained. (i move my mouse and about 500ms later i see the cursor move, and about 500ms after i stop moving the cursor stops moving. then PAINFULLY SLOWLY, I'm talking over the course of 1-2 minutes actual attempts to recover it's self. while this is happening, my computer is effectively unresponsive. i can sometimes click on windows and painfully stutter them across my workspace.  If you would like to witness the events, i can take a video or allow remote access. it is repeatable absolutely 100% of the time on my system.

Currently the features i have active are:

Taskbar
Screensaver (save idle)
Window Layout
Window Snapping
Desktop Divider
I have 1 tile layout
Hotkey actions
the only Mouse action i have enabled is "make entire window dragable"

That's it. I also have had problems with tabbed explorer, but i gave up and disabled that, even though i love that feature.

Please let me know if i need to provide any more information.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/17/2020 07:09:32

Hello, Jaiden

actual window manager attempts to "wake up" Note
Could you clarify what you mean by this?

Additionally, whenever this happens, every single window i have open gets shoved onto my main display.
It seems like this happens because the monitors are completely disabled in the system during the sleep mode and the system (and Actual Window Manager as well) thinks there is only one display connected. Then you wake up the monitors and AWM acts like if you just enabled the monitors and starts to re-apply settings in accordance with the new desktop configuration.

Could you see whether the windows are moved to the primary monitor when AWM is not running.

And could you see whether the same stuttering problems happen if you manually disable the monitors (except the primary) in the system settings while AWM is running and them enable them?

Best regards.

Messages 1 - 10 of 19
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 5, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register