Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Restore chrome windows » on forum: General   Views: 4741

Mike Murphy

Posted: 08/24/2021 06:15:42

Does your software have some way to restore multiple browser windows.  For example, I have 4 monitors that have 6 different chrome browsers displaying different data from a single website.   When I restart the computer I want some way to restore these browsers and for them to be in the previous monitors and positions they were in before restartring.

Thanks,

Mike

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 09/02/2021 10:33:32

Hello, Mike

Thank you for contacting us.

But Chrome restores the set of open Chrome windows and their placement when you open it if you close Chrome via the "Chrome menu > Exit" or if you restart the computer without closing Chrome windows and if the option "On startup > Continue where you left off" enabled in Chrome settings. Have you tried this? Or this solution doesn't suit your needs?

Best regards.

Rob Gordon

Posted: 11/14/2021 11:20:25

I am a new user and this has been enormously frustrating to me.  I do have the "on startup > continue where you left off" option checked,  When I restart my computer, I get a total mess.   All the windows come back, but they are on a single desktop - - the other desktops are not populated with any of the individual chrome windows. Is there a solution or at least something I could try?  

Rob

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/14/2021 16:41:32

Hello, Rob

Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately, for now our software doesn't provide the ability to save the set of open windows in the system and restore the set and placement of the windows in the next Windows session. We'll consider this as a feature request and will post here if such ability is added.

If each of your Chrome windows have unique caption and the caption or its part is constant enough (for example if you use each Chrome window to open particular set of sites or pages) then you can try to create specific settings for each of the Chrome windows. In this case you need to additionally enable the Caption parameter in the Target Window section of the settings and set the values in such manner so that particular specific settings are always applied to the right Chrome window. Maybe you'll be able to accomplish this by using the "Substring match" option for the Caption parameter.

If different specific settings are applied to different Chrome windows you can set the placement for each window in the settings: the Position section > "Move at startup to monitor" and "Align at startup to" actions. The Chrome windows will be moved each to their position once the program and Chrome are both started.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Best regards.

Rob Gordon

Posted: 11/16/2021 03:59:38

Bogdan - thank you for your response.  I got it working and was really excited about it for about 10 minutes and then it stopped working.  I made rules for almost 20 chrome windows - most just move to a virtual desktop and put in a divider file, then I must have done something wrong because now when I open a Chrome window it immediately closes, and will even close a window if I open a new tab in the window.  A natural suspect would have been some kind of rule in the "closing" section but I have looked at all of them and all they have is "close on right-click".  I have also removed all the "block premature appearances" rules but that seems to have no effect.

Any help with this one - at least where to look? - I am sure it is something I did but I have no idea what.  I do really like the product - I'm an older adult with ADHD who has always struggled with organizing because of too many projects - so AWM could be massively useful, but it has a brutal learning curve.  I would even go so far as saying it could be "life-changing" - if I don't throw myself off a bridge first :-(

Rob Gordon

Posted: 11/16/2021 07:01:19

Ok - may have fixed it.  I found a few Chrome rules that didn't take for some reason and were greyed out.   When I deleted them, I could again open Chrome.  Still testing, but I think I got it working.

Rob Gordon

Posted: 11/18/2021 06:39:50

I haven't thrown myself off a bridge yet, but I have gotten close several times.  I have tried just about every permutation of Chrome and ADP you can imagine - the "on startup where you left off" both on and off, and tried with windows already in the right desktop.  I have also tried that "block premature appearance of window" on and off with a number of permutations.    It took me a while to understand the "target" parameter on the "open on startup" because the mouseover instructions went off the screen but I have been putting links in every window - since most Chrome windows will have unique URLs.  Sometimes this makes them duplicate - and it is easy to understand why - if a target is in the directory and the instructions say it should launch if seen, it naturally launches again - and sometimes more than two copies appea- these never migrate to the correct desktop but rather stay in my primary desktop and there is always one window with at least a half dozen tabs of windows that are already open elsewhere.  

Does anyone at least have something I could try - some configuration or workflow that works for you, or is a good starting point.   I am going on more than two weeks trying to learn this thing, and as I already said I think it will pay off big time but I have to somehow make it work first.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/24/2021 05:27:57

Rob,

but I have been putting links in every window - since most Chrome windows will have unique URLs
Could you clarify what you mean by this? Do you mean you open every page in separate Chrome window?

if a target is in the directory and the instructions say it should launch if seen, it naturally launches again
I don't really understand what you mean by this. Are you talking about the "Start program" action which opens a web page and resides in the Startup section of specific settings for Chrome?

Do I understand correctly that the set of Chrome windows in your system is stored automatically (the native ability of Chrome to restore the set of open windows) but what you need to accomplish is to put the Chrome windows automatically to different virtual desktops and desktop divider tiles? And that you don't need to automatically open Chrome windows/pages via Actual Window Manager?

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register