Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Need help understanding why some get free updates. » on forum: General   Views: 3156

Robin Gerndt

Posted: 12/13/2015 18:09:21

Hi.
I purchased Actual Window Manager on November 17, 2014.
According to this chart I am within the block "August 15, 2013 - November 23, 2014" and will have to pay for upgrades.
http://www.actualtools.com/support/how_to_upgrade.php

7 days later it says that the Upgrade Type is free.

I don't understand.
Does this mean that since I purchased when I did, I will forever have to pay annually?
But if I had waited just one week, I would have gotten all future updates for free?

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 12/13/2015 18:21:38

Robin,

To develop a better understanding, please read our Upgrade Policy and this FAQ entry.

In short:

1) you don't have to pay annually

2) the mentioned "How to Upgrade" chart doesn't state that "since November 24, 2014 all future updates will be free" - instead, it states that those customers who purchased our software since November 24, 2014 can install the latest version 8.6.2 for free. When we release the next update 8.7, this chart will be changed accordingly.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Robin Gerndt

Posted: 12/13/2015 19:00:51

Thank you for the response.

Ok yes now I understand better how it works and why/how I would purchase another license.
I know I'm not "forced" to upgrade, but at the same time I kind of am, because yesterday Windows 10 pushed out a new update that completely destroyed a lot of AWM features for me... And I really can't see myself using it properly in it's current state.

It's irrelevant, maybe, but the thing that is still confusing me about the chart is how there's for instance a period "January 1, 2013 - August 14, 2013" that also says free.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 12/14/2015 12:59:43

Robin,

period "January 1, 2013 - August 14, 2013"
was a grace period (in the terms of previous version-based Licensing Policy) for those customers who purchased previous major version 7.x on the eve of the new major version 8.0 release. And it does not propose that "ALL future updates are free" - it's a one-time offer to upgrade 7.x version to 8.x; after that, the new Upgrade Policy terms will be applied.

Windows 10 pushed out a new update
I'm sorry but we are not responsible for what Microsoft have done, is doing, or will do in their future updates of Windows 10. Also, I presume you understand that we can't guarantee right now (as we couldn't in the past) the compatibility with the future versions of Windows. Upgrading Windows is always a risk that some software becomes incompatible, and this risk is undertaken at the end user's side. At our side, we do our best to keep our software as much compatible with all Windows line as possible (BTW, it's hard and ungrateful work that consumes our resources which we could have spent on developing our own features), and provide the updates as fast as we can. Everyone pays his own price for the progress.

Robin Gerndt

Posted: 12/14/2015 19:18:31

No no, I understand that. I'm not blaming you for that  :)
It's the other way around, actually.
It's been almost a month since my license expired and I have so far felt that I can go on using this "old" version for a while since it still worked fine, until they updated Windows 10 and messed it up.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.
I appreciate it.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 12/14/2015 20:10:19

You are always welcome! :)

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help