Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Actual Multiple Monitors v8.0 - Licensing , Some questions about changes in licensign for v8.0 » on forum: General   Views: 13640

Ory Zaidenvorm

Posted: 08/19/2013 11:03:33

Hi There,

In the http://www.actualtools.com/multiplemonitors/whatsnew/ page it says:
[!] Beginning fr om the version 8.0, the Licensing Policy changes: now you must
   purchase as many copies of the program as many users will use the program
   simultaneously. There is no lim it on the number of computers the program
   can be installed on and registered with the same registration code until
   the number of simultaneous users is less than or equal to the number of
   purchased copies. For more information, please refer to the license.txt
   document in the program's installation folder.

1) I don't see why I need to download AND install v8.0 just to be able to see more information on this. This should be posted on the site clearly so everyone can understand what exactly this means for their use case.

2) I purchased AMM specifically to use on all my machines and was assured I am allowed to do so before purchase. I mainly use it at work and at home and those two machines are often running at the same time. I want to iterate that I'm only a single user and therefore most of the time only working on one of the machines. However sometimes I do remote from home to work therefore in actuality I will be working on both machines simultaneously.
Does the new Licensing Policy mean I can no longer do that and now need to buy another license?

Thanks,
Ory

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 08/19/2013 21:54:46

Hello Ory,

I don't see why I need to download AND install v8.0 just to be able to see more information on this. This should be posted on the site clearly so everyone can understand what exactly this means for their use case.
Valid point. I am using AWM 8.0 and have attached the full license text at the end of this message, so you can read it in full. But indeed, it should be in full somewhere on the site. In the mean time I hope my clipped text is useful to you.

Does the new Licensing Policy mean I can no longer do that and now need to buy another license?
No, 1 license is sufficient as you are the only user. Please read this thread where a similar situation is discussed an answered.

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards.

FULL LICENSE TERMS
Actual Window Manager version 8.0
Copyright © 2002-2013 Actual Tools
All rights reserved.

Software License

PLEASE READ THIS SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT "LICENSE" CAREFULLY
BEFORE INSTALLING THIS SOFTWARE. THIS SOFTWARE PROGRAM IS LICENSED,
NOT SOLD. BY INSTALLING, COPYING OR OTHERWISE USING THIS SOFTWARE,
YOU ARE AGREEING TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE. IF YOU DO
NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE, YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO
INSTALL OR USE THIS SOFTWARE. IF YOU REJECT THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT
WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS AFTER YOUR PURCHASE, YOU MAY ARRANGE TO RETURN
THIS SOFTWARE TO THE PLACE WHERE YOU PURCHASED IT OR CONTACT AUTHOR,
AND YOU SHOULD DELETE THE SOFTWARE PROGRAM IMMEDIATELY.

1. License.

This Software and any images accompanying this License, whether on
disk, in read-only memory, or on any other media are licensed, not
sold, to you by the AUTHOR (Actual Tools). YOU OWN THE MEDIA ON WHICH
THE SOFTWARE IS RECORDED BUT THE AUTHOR RETAINS TITLE TO THE SOFTWARE.

Any software in this package, and any copies that this License authorizes
you to make, are subject to this License.

2. Permitted Uses and Restrictions.

This License allows you to install and use the evaluation version
of the Software for 60 days for the purpose of determining
whether the Software is suitable for your needs.

The use of the full version of the Software requires registration.
Once registered, you are granted a non-exclusive license to use the Software
for any legal purpose on as many computers as you need unless the number of
simultaneous users of the Software does not exceed the number of licensed users
(which is equal to the number of copies purchased).
In Terminal Server environment, the required amount of licenses is equal to
the maximum number of users connected to the server simultaneously.

Except as permitted by applicable law and this License, you may not
decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, modify, rent, lease, loan,
distribute, create derivative works from the Software or its component
nor transmit the Software over a network.

A limited license is granted to all registered and unregistered users,
webmasters, owners of distribution systems, BBS etc. to copy and distribute
unregistered trial Software only for the trial use of others, subject to the
above limitations, and also the following:

The Software and all of its release files must be copied in unmodified form,
complete with the file containing this license information.

Your rights under this License will terminate automatically without
notice from the AUTHOR if you fail to comply with any term(s) of this License.

3. Limited warranty.

AUTHOR warrants that the Software will perform in substantial compliance
with the description supplied with the Software. If a significant
defect in the product is found, there is possibility of a refund.
In no event will such a refund exceed the purchase price of the product.

4. Disclaimer of Warranty on AUTHOR.

THE AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT
NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WITH RESPECT TO THE  PRODUCT. SHOULD THE SOFTWARE
PROVE DEFECTIVE, THE PURCHASER ASSUMES THE RISK OF PAYING THE ENTIRE COST
OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR, OR CORRECTION AND ANY INCIDENTAL OR
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. IN NO EVENT WILL AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES
WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS PROFITS,
BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF BUSINESS INFORMATION AND THE LIKE) ARISING
OUT OF THE USE OR THE INABILITY TO USE THIS PRODUCT EVEN IF AUTHOR HAS BEEN
ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

5. Complete Agreement.

This License constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with
respect to the use of the Software and supersedes all prior or
contemporaneous understandings regarding such subject matter.
No amendment to or modification of this License will be binding unless
in writing and signed by AUTHOR.

---
Copyright © 2002-2013 Actual Tools. All rights reserved.
http://www.ActualTools.com
actualtools@actualtools.com

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 09/11/2013 16:07:25

Hello everybody

Ory, the full text of the license agreement will be published on our website later.

Pim is right, one license is sufficient for you.

Best regards.

Rick Workman

Posted: 11/23/2013 22:58:51

I have a question concerning licensing. I have two desktops and I recently purchased a laptop. I am the only user that will ever use the three computers. I understand the new licensing terms. Yes, I installed 8.0 on the two desktops and I want to install 8.0 on the laptop as well.

There are times when the two desktops are running AWM and only when the two are running, the Windows Explorer settings seem like they change on their own fr om to time. This has happened only when both were running AWM at the same time. This has never happened if I had AWM disabled on one of the desktops.

Since I am the only user, I really can't justify in buying multiple licenses, however since I am using the software on two and now I want to run it on three computers, I want to make sure I'm compliant. Like other users, I do not want to have to find a replacement on the other machines as a workaround.

A suggestion, what about a possible user bundle of two to three, four or five licenses using two different IP addresses at the same time. This would handle the situation wh ere the desktop maybe left running while a person may be using a laptop while away from home. I usually have one of the desktops running 24/7 unless I am out of town for an extended period.

I have no problem in paying a little extra for the convenience to run AWM on all my machines, but I cannot justify the cost of three full licenses since I am the only user.

Thanks for a great program and a possible consideration for some type of user bundle.
Rich071

PS
I noticed, there are a couple of words that I can't remove the space when viewing before posting.

Alexander Salnikov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 11/24/2013 21:33:18

Good day Rick,

Since you are the only user by the terms of licensing for versions 8.0+ you have the right to use AWM on as much PC's as you want using only one license.

Have a nice day

Any questions?Mail to support@actualtools.com!

Rick Workman

Posted: 11/25/2013 03:17:07

Alexander,

Thanks for the quick reply on the licensing concerns.

I appreciate it.

Rick

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 11/26/2013 18:05:18

Rick, to clarify the matter thoroughly, please let me cite the appropriate piece of our new license once more (the full text on-line):

Once registered, you are granted a non-exclusive license to use the Software for any legal purpose on as many computers as you need as long as the number of simultaneous users of the Software (real human persons) does not exceed the number of licensed users (which is equal to the number of copies purchased).

You said that you understand the new license terms. In my opinion, the cited piece is clear enough and it answers your question perfectly (considering your "I am the only user" statement is true).

So, my question is: why did you nevertheless decide that you might not be compliant with the new license terms? How should we correct the license terms to make them even more clear, in your opinion? Thank you!

Rick Workman

Posted: 11/27/2013 00:43:07

Alex,

The reason I posted my concern is listed below. I should have posted my scenario a little more in detail.

I have two, basically identical computers. One for development and one for a backup unit and for testing. Both machines are multiple boot machines connected with a 4 port KVM. I recently purchased a laptop, which may be connected to the KVM at times, but not full time as the desktops. Normally, both desktops are running at the same time. I have one AWM license and it is installed on both desktops and the laptop. Also, at times, I use multiple logins to test user permissions on the second desktop.

Yes, I am the only user for my current setup, both desktops and the laptop. Naturally, with the KVM, I can only work on one system/desktop at a time, however, the reason for my concern, AWM maybe active on both desktops at the same time. The reason, I say maybe, since I created scripts to enable and disable AWM on the backup unit, which is a pain and I wanted to stop using the scripts and also to avoid the issue below.

The following paragraph is from my original post, above, "There are times when the two desktops are running AWM and only when the two are running, the Windows Explorer settings seem like they change on their own from to time. This has happened only when both were running AWM at the same time. This has never happened if I had AWM disabled on one of the desktops."  To clarify this, the Window Explorer window changes sizes and positioning on its own, again with AWM running on both machines, ONLY.

Yes, I did see the the quoted text about the simultaneous users and in my case, this may be considered a black and white non compliant issue or at least a little gray since AWM is active on two different computers at the same time with a KVM. If AWM phones home, it will show that I am non compliant.

I also stated, from my original post, above, "I have no problem in paying a little extra for the convenience to run AWM on all my machines, but I cannot justify the cost of three full licenses since I am the only user.", which I still stand behind. As a side note, I also have AWM installed in the inactive partitions on both machines.

I, like other users have gotten used to the bells and whistles of the AWM, that without it, it's like using a bell without the clapper or the whistle with the ball removed. It's not quite the same.

I hope the above, explains my concerns and to answer your question. A suggestion, add a few different scenarios that would show non compliant uses and some gray areas that would assist other users if they have questions, concerning their scenario. This could be added to the end of the EULA or link from the EULA to the FAQ, as needed.

Also, one more note from my previous post, a flexible affordable bundle package that includes additional licenses to cover scenarios that would be considered non compliant.

Let me know if you need any additional information, on the above.

Thanks,
Rick

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register