Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «AWM 8.2b1 and Windows 8.1 secondary task bar , Can't minimise windows by clicking on the taskbar icon » on forum: Beta Testing   Views: 5800

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 05/14/2014 17:03:41

On the primary taskbar, windows can be restored and minimised by repeatedly clicking on the taskbar icon. On the secondary taskbar, I can only restore a window - clicking again doesn't minimise it.

That's about it, really. I'm _pretty_ sure this is new to AWM 8.2b1 and didn't happen in AWM 8.1, but not 100%... Is there some new setting I've missed?

Thanks,

Dave.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 05/14/2014 18:30:22

Dear David,

thank you for your post!

I haven't managed to reproduce the problem you describe in Windows 8.1 and Actual Window Manager 8.2 beta 1. Could you please provide me with detailed directions to reproduce it?

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 05/14/2014 19:26:12

I've sent my config file to the support email address. I'm afraid there isn't anything specific I'm doing (that I know of) to do this, other than launching AWM at logon. I do have 'Activate window on mouse hover' set, but disabling it doesn't make any difference.

Interstingly, it seems only some windows display this behaviour, but it happened to be all the ones I had open at the time! So, here's a list of windows that behave correctly:

AWM Configuration window
calc.exe
explorer.exe
excel.exe

and those that don't

Chrome portable
Sublimetext portable
WinSCP portable

bit of a pattern emerging. Could you try with some portable apps and see if there's something odd going on?

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 05/14/2014 20:42:26

Dear David,

I tried reproducing the issue with Chrome portable and WinSCP portable and your configuration files and haven't still noticed the behavior you describe. Could you please try reinstalling Actual Window Manager to see if it helps. Please tell me if there are any results or not!

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 05/14/2014 22:16:43

Another data point - it seems this affects applications which are launched from RocketDock. I tried starting the apps from the start menu (I'm using Classic Start Menu on Win 8.1), and they behaved fine. But if started from RocketDock (v1.3.5), things start to go wrong on the secondary task bar.

Hope that's useful - let me know if you can see it now.

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 05/15/2014 21:12:52

Dear David,

could you please open your Task Manager -> Processes tab and tell me what User Names for RocketDock and Actual Window Manager processes there are?

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 05/15/2014 21:51:26

GoogleChromePortable.exe, RocketDock.exe and chrome.exe all show as 'davidl', which is my logon account. However, if I use SysInternals Process Explorer, I can see that RocketDock.exe is the 'parent' of GoogleChromePortable.exe, which in turn is the parent of chrome.exe.

Some other tests I did - not sure if this helps or not.

I tried launching GoogleChromePortable.exe from FreeCommander and from Explorer. ProcExp now shows one of those as the 'parent'. Clicking on the taskbar now minimises the Chrome window about 25% to 50% of the time - the other times the focus 'flicks' from the window to the task bar, but the window stays on screen. I also then noticed that windows on the primary task bar were exhibiting this behaviour as well - only responding to 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 clicks to minimise, and the rest of the time staying put (losing focus momentarily when their taskbar icon was clicked. That includes the Task Manager window, which I started via CTRL+ALT+DEL, and doesn't have a 'parent' in ProcessExplorer.

Then, back on the secondary monitor / taskbar, explorer.exe's window started minimising completely normally, as did GoogleChromPortable.exe! I quit chrome and launched it again via RocketDock, and the 'stuck' behaviour was back - at least that's predictable. The 'failure' rate to minimise when launched from RocketDock is 100% - it _never_ minimises, whereas when launched from FC or Explorer, it minimises about 50% of the time on average.

Final bit of info. On the primary taskbar, clicking the Task Manager icon with single clicks, and long gaps between them, it will _never_ minimise. If I double-click and _then_ single click, it usually minimises. I noticed that the taskbar icons on the primary taskbar have a kind of 'highlighted' state, which lasts for what looks like about the length of the double-click timeout period. If I click the icon whilst it is highlighted, the window minimises. The same is true on the secondary, _except_ for Chrome when launched from RocketDock - even when the taskbar icon is highlighted, it refuses to minimise.

Crikey - this is getting convoluted. I hope you can make some sense of this - please feel free to ask if I need to clarify anything :)

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 05/16/2014 18:12:38

Dear David,

thanks to your detailed description, the issue has finally been confirmed. The undesired behavior was shown only with Task Manager window, but it occurs all the time. We will try to fix it.

Thank you for your concern!
Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 05/16/2014 19:09:56

Phew! Well, I'm glad it's not just me! I do have lots of tweaks and strange settings, so maybe I'm bound to find these weird edge cases... I have UxStyle and Aero 8.1 theme from DeviantArt, in an attempt to make Win8.1 look more like a real operating system :), as well as focus follows mouse from AWM. Perhaps it's some combination of all of these + AWM that's causing the problem to spread more widely for me.

Anyway, thanks for continuing to squish the bugs!

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register