Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Detect windows from visible window text , Look inside for explanation! » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 13256

Patrik M

Posted: 08/04/2009 01:37:26

AWM is very, very good, but it has one limitation, and that is the ability to distinguish between windows that have the same caption/class/program.

There is a way to amend this, and that is to implement the feature of window text detection. An example (which I have already posted in another thread of mine, but I digress), is the Window Spy utility included with AutoHotkey (a freeware macro creation program). When detecting windows, Window Spy is able to fetch status bar text, visible window text, hidden window text, "slow visible text", and "slow hidden text".

Go here for an example of when this feature would be very useful to have.

If you would like to try the Window Spy out yourselves you can visit http://www.autohotkey.com/download/.

If you need to consult the author of AutoHotkey (Chris Mallett) to be able to implement this feature, you can contact him at support@autohotkey.com.

I REALLY hope you'll consider this feature implementation!

Thanks. :D  

Tatiana Jack
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 08/05/2009 07:23:44

Dear Patrik,

Thank you very much for your solution. We'll investigate the ability of this utility.

And, of course, I'll let you know about results.  

E-mail: support@actualtools.com

Michael Beight

Posted: 09/23/2009 02:46:51

That's a really good one.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 09/28/2009 13:25:03

Patric, Michael,

Could you provide us some vivid examples of using such feature? Thanks!

Michael Beight

Posted: 10/06/2009 07:03:50

Alexey Fadeyev wrote:
Well like if you have a program that has (1) a main window and (2) smaller windows that it pops up intermittently, to ask the the user questions like "Do you want to overwrite?".  Usually the user would want the AWM settings (like auto-size, minimum size, etc) to apply only to the program's main window, not to the smaller windows.

Take mIRC:  I like to have AWM always put the main mIRC window in the position (-4, -4) and resize it vertically to fill the Desktop.  But when mIRC asks me "Are you sure you want to exit?", I certainly wouldn't want that dialog to stretch and cover the screen in the same way :D  A window-text feature would solve this by being able to include the string "Are you sure you want to exit?" in the window ID properties.

Note:  mIRC doesn't have this problem with AWM at all (because the Confirm Exit window has a pretty unique title, "Confirm Exit"), but I could sure imagine other programs having issues with their child windows.
It's hard to think of a specific example, but let me know if you need more example than this.

Patrik M

Posted: 10/09/2009 21:10:43

Michael Beight wrote:
    Alexey Fadeyev wrote:
Well like if you have a program that has (1) a main window and (2) smaller windows that it pops up intermittently, to ask the the user questions like "Do you want to overwrite?". Usually the user would want the AWM settings (like auto-size, minimum size, etc) to apply only to the program's main window, not to the smaller windows.

Take mIRC: I like to have AWM always put the main mIRC window in the position (-4, -4) and resize it vertically to fill the Desktop. But when mIRC asks me "Are you sure you want to exit?", I certainly wouldn't want that dialog to stretch and cover the screen in the same way  A window-text feature would solve this by being able to include the string "Are you sure you want to exit?" in the window ID properties.

Note: mIRC doesn't have this problem with AWM at all (because the Confirm Exit window has a pretty unique title, "Confirm Exit"), but I could sure imagine other programs having issues with their child windows.
It's hard to think of a specific example, but let me know if you need more example than this.

I was going to post pretty much the same example :)

Specifically, and typically, you will meet this problem if changing settings for save dialogs. If you type the same filename as an existing file, you'll get the "do you wish to overwrite blabla.jpg?". These question dialog popups ALWAYS have the same class and window title as the parent window.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register