Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Virtual Desktops Switcher - icon re-ordering with drag and drop » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 4905

Mike Merlin

Posted: 07/27/2020 04:05:46

Hello,

The Virtual Desktops Switcher is great.

I use six virtual desktops to keep my projects separated.

One UI improvement that I would really like to see is:

- allow icon re-ordering with drag and drop, inside the Virtual Desktops Switcher popup window.

We can already drag and drop an icon between one Virtual Desktop and another, inside the Virtual Desktops Switcher.

However the program icon is always moved to the last location on the list of icons for the virtual desktop it was moved into.

What I would like to be able to do is:

drag and drop a program icon anywhere inside the list of icons,
and insert the icon in to the list of icons for that desktop,
at the exact position I dragged it to
(instead of always moving to the end of the icon list)

The main reason I want this feature is that I have 5 programs that are configured to display across all six of my virtual desktops, and I want to keep the icon for these "global" programs vertically aligned across each desktop line inside the Virtual Desktops Switcher.

This will improve the visual neatness of the Virtual Desktop Manager greatly, for programs that are configured to display on All Desktops

Thanks!

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/29/2020 07:18:52

Hello, Mike

Thank you for contacting us.

We'll consider adding the ability to move window icons within each Virtual Desktops Switcher desktop cell and will post here if the feature is implemented.

Best regards.

Mike Merlin

Posted: 10/12/2020 13:33:50

Another option could be:

Automatically sort the list of icons in each row of the Virtual Desktop Switcher

Sorted firstly (aligning to the left) are the icons for programs configured to display "all desktops"

Secondly sort the "all desktop" programs alphabetically by their Process name or ID (or window title at the time they launched).

This will ensure that the icons are vertically aligned in every horizontal row of the Virtual Desktop Switcher.

And would be easier to implement (compared with fully positional drag and drop re-ordering of icons on every line).

Cheers,
Mike

P.S.  for the other icons, i.e. programs only showing on a single Virtual Desktop, they do not need any kind of sort order and can just appear chronologically in the sequence that they are instantiated (except they will all appear to the right of the left-aligned "all desktop" icons)

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 10/21/2020 10:20:07

Mike,

Another option could be:

Automatically sort the list of icons in each row of the Virtual Desktop Switcher

We'll consider this option as well and will post here if it's implemented.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register