Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Several feature requests and bug reports , Upgrading from Multiple Monitors to Window Manager: first impressions » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 26108

Dirk Durka

Posted: 07/17/2018 14:00:53

I'm considering buying the full Window Manager program, and there are several things I'd like to see in the program. I'm using Windows 8.1.

Feature Requests:

1) I would really appreciate it if there were a way to default or set all the options to off. I'd much rather have the program not modify my system at all, and opt-in to everything, than have to scour the settings to disable things I don't want.
2) It would be useful if all the settings in Specific Settings had an option to inherit from global / default, or if it were more obvious that this was happening.
3) I'd really like to define my own items on the transparency sub-menu. I'd like to remove most of those buttons including the two at the top, define my own preset levels (like 0%, 5%, 25%, 50%, 75%), and move them out of the sub-menu into the main menu.
4) I'd like to disable transparency on all full-screen applications.
5) The "Minimize All command affects only the monitor with mouse" option doesn't seem to work with the Win-D keyboard shortcut. Is it possible to intercept this and apply the setting?
6) I've disabled all snapping behavior, but I would love to see edge resistance as an alternative, for both moving and resizing windows.

Settings UI cleanup:

1) It would be nice if I could remove the Quick Window Settings button from the window menu in the same place that I can remove all the other window menu items. Seems strange to have it in a whole different settings section.
2) It would also be better if the ordering and the checkboxes for window menu items were integrated and in the same place, like they are for title buttons.

Bug Reports:

1) The Actual Tabbed Explorer breaks my Alt-Tab, when Alt-Tabbing from the Explorer, it tabs to itself, I have to Tab twice to get to the next window.
2) Sometimes clicking the transparency setting in the window sub-menu takes multiple clicks to register, nothing will happen on the first click, sometimes also the second.
3) The "Lock mouse in monitor" setting doesn't work for me at all, and the keyboard shortcut doesn't activate it.
4) When Actual Window Manager is on, sometimes Alt-Tab will activate the next window but not bring it to front, especially if I hit it quickly. Clicking on the active window does not fix it, I have to click out and back in.

Thanks,
Dirk

Dirk Durka

Posted: 07/21/2018 13:44:41

Well I'm certainly not going to buy the program if nobody responds.

I also have another issue to add: When "Scroll inactive windows with the mouse wheel" is checked, it breaks native scroll wheel interaction with IrfanView, even when IrfanView is active. Either this is an issue with Actual Window Manager and needs to be fixed, or if it is an issue with IrfanView then I need to be able to add exclusions to this setting.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/21/2018 20:11:21

Hello, Dirk

1) I would really appreciate it if there were a way to default or set all the options to off. I'd much rather have the program not modify my system at all, and opt-in to everything, than have to scour the settings to disable things I don't want.
3) I'd really like to define my own items on the transparency sub-menu. I'd like to remove most of those buttons including the two at the top, define my own preset levels (like 0%, 5%, 25%, 50%, 75%), and move them out of the sub-menu into the main menu.
5) The "Minimize All command affects only the monitor with mouse" option doesn't seem to work with the Win-D keyboard shortcut. Is it possible to intercept this and apply the setting?
Settings UI cleanup:
1) It would be nice if I could remove the Quick Window Settings button from the window menu in the same place that I can remove all the other window menu items. Seems strange to have it in a whole different settings section.
2) It would also be better if the ordering and the checkboxes for window menu items were integrated and in the same place, like they are for title buttons.

We'll consider these requests and will post in this topic if they are implemented.

2) It would be useful if all the settings in Specific Settings had an option to inherit from global / default, or if it were more obvious that this was happening.
Specific Settings inherit from Default Settings now. If you make changes in Default Settings they're also applied to Specific Settings. Or do you mean you want this to be optional?

4) I'd like to disable transparency on all full-screen applications.
Could you provide us an example of the situation where you need this feature? Do you mean the Transparency hotkey (Win+Y be default) doesn't suit your needs?

6) I've disabled all snapping behavior, but I would love to see edge resistance as an alternative, for both moving and resizing windows.
Could you describe this more detailed? Do you mean "Tight monitor boundaries" feature but which works only when you drag/resize windows?

1) The Actual Tabbed Explorer breaks my Alt-Tab, when Alt-Tabbing from the Explorer, it tabs to itself, I have to Tab twice to get to the next window.
This problem has been confirmed. We'll try to fix it and will post in this topic when it's fixed.

2) Sometimes clicking the transparency setting in the window sub-menu takes multiple clicks to register, nothing will happen on the first click, sometimes also the second.
Please check whether it depends on what window you bring this menu for and if it's browser, then does it depend on whether the links are under the menu item you click. There is a known problem that is similar to this one: sometimes it takes couple clicks to click a menu item wich is over some links in a browser window.

3) The "Lock mouse in monitor" setting doesn't work for me at all, and the keyboard shortcut doesn't activate it.
I was unable to reproduce this problem. What key combination you use? Are you sure that the hotkey is enabled in the settings?

4) When Actual Window Manager is on, sometimes Alt-Tab will activate the next window but not bring it to front, especially if I hit it quickly. Clicking on the active window does not fix it, I have to click out and back in.
I was unable to reproduce this problem. Does it happen with some particular applications or it can happen with any application? What applications you have noticed this problem with?

When "Scroll inactive windows with the mouse wheel" is checked, it breaks native scroll wheel interaction with IrfanView, even when IrfanView is active.
By "breaks" do you mean the scroll speed becomes slower?

Best regards.

Dirk Durka

Posted: 07/25/2018 16:12:58

Thanks Bogdan.

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
We'll consider these requests and will post in this topic if they are implemented.

Awesome.

Specific Settings inherit fr om Default Settings now. If you make changes in Default Settings they're also applied to Specific Settings. Or do you mean you want this to be optional?

Ok I didn't understand that was how it worked. I guess being optional would be cool, but not a big deal.

Could you provide us an example of the situation where you need this feature? Do you mean the Transparency hotkey (Win+Y be default) doesn't suit your needs?

Oh I didn't realize there was a hotkey, it would still be nice if this were automatic. I run a program called f.lux that reddens my screen, it disables when I full screen a window. This way if I maximize a video on youtube, I can see it in true color. Or in IrfanView, if I hit Enter to go full screen, the color snaps back to normal. Full screen games would be a situation where that default hotkey won't work because the Windows key drops you out of fullscreen mode.

Could you describe this more detailed? Do you mean "Tight monitor boundaries" feature but which works only when you drag/resize windows?

Sorry, wh ere is the tight monitor boundaries option? This brings up another feature request, making the settings searchable :) From its description online, your summary looks similar to what I'm looking for. I'd rather it just be a certain number of pixels basically between edges instead of a timer, so you would have to move your mouse an extra 50 or so pixels to the left before it would continue moving, but it would then move smoothly and not jump 50 pixels.

This problem has been confirmed. We'll try to fix it and will post in this topic when it's fixed.

Awesome.

Please check whether it depends on what window you bring this menu for and if it's browser, then does it depend on whether the links are under the menu item you click. There is a known problem that is similar to this one: sometimes it takes couple clicks to click a menu item wich is over some links in a browser window.

I'm pretty sure this is what was happening.

I was unable to reproduce this problem. What key combination you use? Are you sure that the hotkey is enabled in the settings?

My key combination for this is Alt-A, and when I press it I hear the windows error sound like it doesn't know that combination. This happens even with Mouse Actions enabled.

I was unable to reproduce this problem. Does it happen with some particular applications or it can happen with any application? What applications you have noticed this problem with?

It happens with any application, I've noticed it with Notepad and Browsers, anything really. It's sporadic but I can reproduce it if I hit and release the key combo as quickly as possible, with several tries. I'm on Windows 8.1

By "breaks" do you mean the scroll speed becomes slower?

In IrfanView, the scroll wheel cycles to the next or previous image in the folder. This behavior is disabled by "Scroll inactive windows with the mouse wheel", even when IrfanView is active. It would be cool if this setting made it so that its behavior was retained even while inactive.

I have one other feature request: I like that AWM enables reordering taskbar buttons within a program group. I would like to disable grouping so that I can reorder all buttons independently, so that windows of the same program don't have to be next to each other.

Thanks again for the detailed response Bogdan.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/26/2018 20:24:40

Dirk,

Full screen games would be a situation where that default hotkey won't work because the Windows key drops you out of fullscreen mode.
Does it happen with all games you've tried this with? Could you name the games you've noticed this problem with? Does the Start Menu appear when this happen?

Sorry, where is the tight monitor boundaries option?
This option resides here: AWM configuration module > Mouse > Multiple Monitors > Tight monitor boundaries.

This brings up another feature request, making the settings searchable
The Search feature is also available in AWM configuration module – see the search field in the top right corner of the window. Also you can use the Ctrl+F hotkey to switch focus to the Search section when in configuration window.

I'd rather it just be a certain number of pixels basically between edges instead of a timer
Are you talking about monitor edges? Why do you prefer number of pixels instead of timer? Do you mean by the time window movement starts again, the mouse pointer will change its position relatively to the window you're dragging?

Sometimes clicking the transparency setting in the window sub-menu takes multiple clicks to register
I'm pretty sure this is what was happening.
We'll post in this topic when this problem is fixed.

My key combination for this is Alt-A, and when I press it I hear the windows error sound like it doesn't know that combination. This happens even with Mouse Actions enabled.
This can happen if the hotkey is not enabled. Please make sure the hotkey is checked in the list of hotkeys in the configuration module.

It happens with any application, I've noticed it with Notepad and Browsers, anything really. It's sporadic but I can reproduce it if I hit and release the key combo as quickly as possible, with several tries. I'm on Windows 8.1
I'm still unable to reproduce this. Could you reproduce the problem with couple different applications, make screenshots depicting the problem and send them to us. You can send them to uninstall@actualtools.com.

In IrfanView, the scroll wheel cycles to the next or previous image in the folder. This behavior is disabled by "Scroll inactive windows with the mouse wheel", even when IrfanView is active.
This problem has been confirmed, we'll try to fix it.

It would be cool if this setting made it so that its behavior was retained even while inactive.

I have one other feature request: I like that AWM enables reordering taskbar buttons within a program group. I would like to disable grouping so that I can reorder all buttons independently, so that windows of the same program don't have to be next to each other.
We'll consider these requests and will post in this topic if they're implemented.

Best regards.

Dirk Durka

Posted: 09/05/2018 13:21:38

Hey Bogdan, sorry for the long delay on this, life got busy for a while.

Does it happen with all games you've tried this with? Could you name the games you've noticed this problem with? Does the Start Menu appear when this happen?

Actually I just assumed that would happen, I just tested it with several Steam games and it doesn't exit full screen, nor does the game respect AWM's transparency options, it's just opaque. Still, it would be nice if pressing F11 in Chrome would full screen the window and make it opaque at the same time, for example.

The Search feature is also available in AWM configuration module – see the search field in the top right corner of the window. Also you can use the Ctrl+F hotkey to switch focus to the Search section when in configuration window.

Oh nice.

Are you talking about monitor edges? Why do you prefer number of pixels instead of timer?

Yes, monitor edges. I like pixels better because you can move your mouse quickly across and not even notice the boundary, or slowly to get it exactly on the edge of the screen. With the timer, it blocks you for a split second either way, and you have to be moving your mouse for that split second. If you move it to the edge and stop it, then move it again, you have to wait again for the timer.

Do you mean by the time window movement starts again, the mouse pointer will change its position relatively to the window you're dragging?

No I just meant even if I'm not dragging a window, my momentum from moving the mouse seems to make it go farther than I anticipated. This may be an illusion, but that is the way XFCE works for example, it will just skip those pixels I believe, like it stores your mouse input and then replays it.

This can happen if the hotkey is not enabled. Please make sure the hotkey is checked in the list of hotkeys in the configuration module.

Ah, ok I didn't realize the option in Mouse -> Multiple Monitors was linked to the option in Hotkeys -> Actions -> Mouse, that's pretty confusing. Also to enable just that one I have to uncheck all the others so this references my previous request to start with all options off.

I'm still unable to reproduce this. Could you reproduce the problem with couple different applications, make screenshots depicting the problem and send them to us. You can send them to uninstall@actualtools.com.

Strangely, I can't reproduce it right now. If I notice it again, I'll send an email.

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 09/09/2018 13:07:33

Hello Dirk,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

All requests will be considered and we'll inform you when they will be implemented in Actual Window Manager.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register