Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Change AWM so only modified rule changes are applied » on forum: Feature Requests   Views: 5276

Mike Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 02/09/2012 14:09:25

When you change a setting for a single window rule and then click the button to save and apply the settings, AWM apparently reapplies all the window rules instead of just the one that was changed. Windows that have rules that include automatically minimizing them on startup reappear onscreen and then minimize again, resulting in a number of windows flashing on and off unnecessarily. This also takes extra time and accomplishes nothing. Why doesn't AWM save only the rule or rules that were changed and apply only the modified rules instead of saving/reapplying all the rules?

--
Mike

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 02/09/2012 23:53:13

Hello Mike,

It should works this way.

Could you give me an example where you get another behavior of reapplying settings (described by you)?

Best regards.

Mike Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 02/15/2012 03:42:53

Hi Vasiliy,

Every time I save a change to any rule, or even to Mouse actions in Options, AWM restores and then re-minimizes all the applications that it's set to minimize to the screen and to the tray, if they were minimized at the time I saved. Observing this behavior is what leads me to believe that it's saving/reapplying all the rules instead of just the one I modified.

I currently have seven apps that are minimized to the screen by AWM, a couple that are minimized to the tray by AWM, and one that is minimized to the taskbar on my secondary monitor at startup by AWM. Every time I save a change to any rule, all of the apps that AWM is controlling minimization for and that are currently minimized to the tray and screen get restored and then minimized again. The one that's minimized to the taskbar on the second monitor sometimes does this also, but not always.

The other problem that I described in the threads where I talked about reliability problems and requested additional ways to reapply settings sometimes comes into play also, since a couple of the apps that are minimized to the screen sometimes don't get re-minimized, and the screen icon for those apps then disappear. Usually, it's either the ATI CCC or the Windows Master Volume that this happens with.

--
Mike

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 02/17/2012 01:51:17

Hello Mike,

I was unable to reproduce this.

What version of Actual Window Manager are you running?

What OS are you running (version, 32-bit or 64-bit)?

Could you give me an example with 2 applications where some changes in one specific settings lead to another specifc settings reaplying?

Best regards.

Mike Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 02/17/2012 14:24:30

Hi Vasiliy,

I'm using Win XP Pro SP3 32-bit and AWM 6.7.2. I just sent you my configuration.

I can give you plenty of examples, because what I'm seeing happens with all the applications I'm managing with AWM. How about Outlook Express and the Windows Master Volume control: when I save after making a change to the Outlook Express rule, the Volume Control window, which is minimized to the screen at that time, is restored and then re-minimized to the screen.

Please note that I'm assuming it's reapplying settings for all apps because some windows that are set to minimize to the screen and are currently minimized are restored and then minimized again when I save changes made to any rule even though the rules for these apps were not changed.

--
Mike

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 02/19/2012 23:56:54

Hello Mike,

The problem has been confirmed.

We'll try to fix it.

As workaround you could try to disable the "Use custom tray/screen icon" option (Actual Window Manager -> Window Settings -> Specific settings -> Minimization -> Use custom tray/screen icon).

Best regards.

Mike Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 02/20/2012 23:49:48

As workaround you could try to disable the "Use custom tray/screen icon" option (Actual Window Manager -> Window Settings -> Specific settings -> Minimization -> Use custom tray/screen icon).

For all apps or just AWM?

--
Mike

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 02/21/2012 01:43:43

For all apps you have the problem with.

Mike Brazil
Advanced user

Posted: 05/04/2012 11:51:19

The problem is fixed in the 7.1 betas.