Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Some AWM 5.4 bugs » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 16256

Michael Beight

Posted: 09/18/2009 08:12:14

Thanks for the extremely useful program.  I needed only 15 minutes of evaluating before I decided to purchase this one  :D

I did come across a few bugs.  I'm running Windows XP Pro x64 (version 2003 SP2), in an Administrator account.

• 1) When I exit AWM, explorer crashes.

• 2) When the titlebars of some (not all) windows are double-clicked, the windows maximize (the usual Windows behavior), but there are two problems:

- "Ghost" buttons are left behind in the titlebar, although working buttons appear in the new correct place (next to the minimize-maximize-close buttons).  The window title will often disappear, too.

- While the window is maximizing, it takes a longer time to draw the newly revealed part of the window (usually the right half of the window), and sometimes the new part doesn't show up at all (Firefox is an example of this).  This longer time is especially noticeable when the window is translucent.

Some programs that this occurs in:
       Firefox 3.5, Windows Explorer, mIRC, uTorrent, Internet Explorer 6.0, WinRAR.

Some programs that this does not occur in:
       Actual Window Manager 5.4, FlashFXP, GetRight, A.F.5 Rename your files, EditPad Pro.

User added an image

• 3) When  "Resize Windows Automatically" --> "At startup to" --> "Height" is set to greater than the distance (number of pixels) from the top of the screen to the Taskbar, the window is not resized to the full specified amount.

This happens even when  "Change Window Position Automatically" --> "Align at startup to" --> "Vertical shift"  is set to a big negative value:  The top of the window appears up off of the screen, as specified, but the size of the window is still shrunk to the size of the "Desktop".

This also happens even when "Restrict placement" is not selected.

I've found I can sort of halfway-work-around this by setting "Fix minimal size to".

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 09/21/2009 11:44:59

Michael, thank you for your appreciation of our software and I'm glad to welcome our new customer! :)

Sorry for the bugs you discovered. Here are my comments on your feedback:

Michael Beight wrote:
1) When I exit AWM, explorer crashes.
Unfortunately, there was some instability in the 64-bit code which may cause intermittent crashes in native 64-bit applications. Now it seems to be fixed. The fix will be available in the upcoming AWM 5.5 beta 1.

Michael Beight wrote:
2) ...there are two problems:
Please check whether the Window Thumbnails service is on or off. If it's on the try to disable it. As for the translucency - it's quite calculation-heavy effect without the proper support in the video hardware so the slower redrawing is normal.

Michael Beight wrote:
3) ...the window is not resized to the full specified amount.
First, try to disable the Keep window within the desktop boundaries after resizing option. Does the problem still happen? In case it does please specify whether it happens with each and every window or with some particular kind of windows.

Michael Beight

Posted: 09/21/2009 20:43:32

1)
The fix will be available in the upcoming AWM 5.5 beta 1.

Excellent, can't wait.

2)
Please check whether the Window Thumbnails service is on or off. If it's on the try to disable it.

The Windows Thumbnail service is off.  I even tried turning on, turning off again.. with no effect either way.

As for the translucency - it's quite calculation-heavy effect without the proper support in the video hardware so the slower redrawing is normal.

Well as the window is expanding after the titlebar is double-clicked, the titlebar text flashes several times very quickly, then usually disappears completely.  When this flashing happens, the maximizing process takes a lot longer than usual.

*But*, some windows are so quick at maximizing normally that this extra time is barely noticable.  So since translucency makes a normal maximize much more CPU intensive, the extra time is magnified and much more noticable (actually, it's crazy for some windows, like Firefox:  2-4 seconds *without* translucency.  Other windows like Windows Explorer, uTorrent, Internet Explorer are not too noticable, without translucency).

This messed-up titlebar thing also happens when the normal "maximize" button is pushed, with a slight difference:  The maximization looks normal, until the window is minimized and restored -- *then* the old "ghost buttons and disappearing titlebar text" thing appears as usual.

3)
[T]ry to disable the Keep window within the desktop boundaries after resizing option.

That worked!!

Not a bug afterall.

---------
I'll take this opportunity to present some *new* stuff :idea:

• 4) Possible bug on x64?:  After saving, the Save button will sometimes not gray-out.  Then when I go to exit AWM, it asks me if I want to save changes.

The settings do appear to be saved, though.

• 5) When AWM is enabled for a video player or internet browser window, the Taskbar does not disappear when going into fullscreen mode.

** Programs where this happens:  Firefox 3.5, Internet Explorer 8, Windows Media Player 11, Media Player Classic, DivX player, VLC media player.

** Programs where this does not happen:  none.

The effect always goes away once I Exclude the window in AWM.

• 6) Windows Explorer windows sometimes crash after applying new settings to them.  This also happens with mIRC, but no other programs I've used.

Michael Beight

Posted: 09/23/2009 02:28:22

Possible bugs:

• 7) When a window is set with a translucency-on-inactive and a translucency-on-hover:  When the mouse hovers over the window, then clicks on it, the translucency jerks back a bit (towards opaqueness) for a moment before moving to the "active" translucency.  This happens whether or not "Smooth transparency transitions" is set.  That transparency system can create a real nice environment, but that small quirk there is a little hard on the eyes.

• 8 ) When "Minimize at startup" is on, keyboard macros sometimes don't get sent (some or all of them).  Using delayed running for the macro doesn't seem to have any effect.

Of course, if an <Alt+Space> macro worked, then <Alt+Space><n> could be sent to minimize the window after the keystrokes had been sent.

This actually seems rare:  I haven't tested it on a ton of programs by any means, but on my computer only Windows Explorer has trouble with it.

• 9) The title text (white text on gray background) indicating the currently selected item in the "Specific settings" tree (in the left panel) doesn't change when you select different items.  It stays on the name of the first one you select.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 09/28/2009 12:26:13

Michael, please try the recently released AWM 5.5 beta 1 and see if the bugs you described still persist or have gone.

Below are my comments on the new stuff.

Michael Beight wrote:
4) Possible bug on x64? After saving, the Save button will sometimes not gray-out.
No, this is not specific to x64 - it's a common one. We'll try to fix it until the final version 5.5.

Michael Beight wrote:
5) When AWM is enabled for a video player or internet browser window, the Taskbar does not disappear when going into fullscreen mode.
Sorry, we failed to confirm that on our test machines. Please provide some more details on this issue.

Michael Beight wrote:
6) Windows Explorer windows sometimes crash after applying new settings to them.
We have tried to fix this issue in the above-mentioned 5.5 beta 1 so please check it out.

Michael Beight wrote:
7) When a window is set with a translucency-on-inactive and a translucency-on-hover...
Sorry, this is the way it's currently working in. We plan to redesign this feature in the near future to make it more usable and smooth.

Michael Beight wrote:
8 ) When "Minimize at startup" is on, keyboard macros sometimes don't get sent...
If I understood you right - this is the expected result. To get more information, please read the description of the Run Keyboard Macro action (turn your attention to the part marked as "Important Note!").

Michael Beight wrote:
9) The title text ... doesn't change when you select different items.
The bug is confirmed and will be fixed in the final version.

Thank you for the rich feedback! :) Please keep providing us the stuff like this.

Michael Beight

Posted: 09/29/2009 15:57:18

Alexey Fadeyev wrote:
Michael, please try the recently released AWM 5.5 beta 1 and see if the bugs you described still persist or have gone.
I just tried out the new 5.5 beta 1, and:

(1) is fixed!  What a relief to have that one fixed.

(2) still exists.  No change of behavior that I can tell.

----------

(3) is completely resolved.

----------

(4):
Alexey Fadeyev wrote:
No, this is not specific to x64 - it's a common one. We'll try to fix it until the final version 5.5.
Great.

----------

(5):
Alexey Fadeyev wrote:
Sorry, we failed to confirm that on our test machines. Please provide some more details on this issue.
Wow, I guess this would take deep investigation to figure out.  I'll get back to you when I have something.

----------

(6):
Alexey Fadeyev wrote:
We have tried to fix this issue in the above-mentioned 5.5 beta 1 so please check it out.
Yep, I think that one's lookin good now : D  Very nice.

----------

(7):
Alexey Fadeyev wrote:
Sorry, this is the way it's currently working in. We plan to redesign this feature in the near future to make it more usable and smooth.
Hmm, I wonder if we're looking at the same thing :)  I really think this transparency-jerkiness should not happen, but oh well, it's proably the most minor of these reports.
"Redesign" sounds promising though :)

----------

(8 ):
Alexey Fadeyev wrote:
If I understood you right - this is the expected result. To get more information, please read[...]
I see (Just read the link).  Well, this is exactly what I suspected, and well it's a shame the keyboard macros can't get sent when the window is minimized.  Maybe this is a limitation of Windows?  Hmm, I haven't looked into that myself.

Well, I stand by my suggestion that if (<Alt+Space><n>) worked, that could be a *pretty* good work-around.

Or how about a simple addon to the Minimize-at-startup feature:  A checkbox that reads, "Wait until keyboard macros have been sent" ?

----------

(9):
Alexey Fadeyev wrote:
The bug is confirmed and will be fixed in the final version.
Swell.

----------

Alexey Fadeyev wrote:
Thank you for the rich feedback!
No problem :D

Michael Beight

Posted: 09/30/2009 04:33:02

(8 )
It was just pointed out in the other forum that the keyboard macro <Alt+Space><N>  does work; it just needs to be entered manually!

Michael Beight

Posted: 10/06/2009 09:24:35

• 10) When the AWM window is on the "Default settings" page and the window is sized too small for all the lower toolbar buttons to show (Index, Startup, Closing, ...), little 'mover' buttons appear to reveal the hidden buttons, like so:

User added an image

But when the window is resized by even one pixel, the mover buttons disappear:

User added an image

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register