New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 11
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «[FIXED] Title Buttons not displaying Resize button until settings reapplied » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 27642

Jim Fraley

Posted: 01/16/2022 14:02:06

I am using the current version of AWM, 8.14.6.1, but I believe the following issue began a few versions ago.

After restarting Windows 10 and logging in, when I click on the "Expand/collapse" button on the Chrome titlebar, the "Resize Window" button is missing. If you "Reapply settings" via the "Modify applied settings" menu, all buttons will now appear when you click on the button to expand the titlebar buttons.

I realize this is a minor issue, but thought you would want to know so you can look into the cause.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 01/18/2022 05:27:34

Hello, Jim

Thank you for contacting us.

I was unable to reproduce the problem.

Does the problem depend on what you open first after restart - Chrome or AWM?

Does the problem persist only in Chrome or in some other applications too?

Could you send us your Actual Window Manager configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tool (AWM configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support)?

Could you specify the exact number of your Windows build (type winver in the Search field of the Windows Start menu, press Enter. The window containing the build number will appear).

Best regards.

Jim Fraley

Posted: 02/02/2022 07:49:39

Hi Bogdan,

Thanks for the response. I will do some tests to see if I can answer your questions. I understand this is an odd issue. In fact, I thought it had been resolved because I noticed the missing button was appearing. However, I just rebooted and it is missing again. I will reply back with my findings.

Thanks again

Jim Fraley

Posted: 02/11/2022 07:56:43

I have a bit more information, but it is rather odd. Just now, I rebooted to allow a Windows update to install. Once it had completed and I logged in, I had no windows open. I opened Firefox and it displayed the Titlebar Buttons as expected when I clicked on the Grouping button. I did not verify that every button was present, but it did appear they were. Specifically, the Resize button was visible. (Note: I am using the Dark Windows 11 theme. I was also using the Dark Firefox theme. The icon for the Grouping Button is displayed as black on top of the black background which makes it impossible to see. I switched to the new Firefox System Theme - Auto, but there was no difference. The AIM grouping button is displayed a black on a black background instead of white, like the other Firefox icons in the title bar.)

Next, I opened Google Chrome. I am currently using two Chrome windows: one for YouTube and one for a software development course I am studying. When I opened Chrome, both windows appeared as expected. I clicked on the Titlebar Grouping Button of the first Chrome window and the Titlebar Buttons were displayed, but the Resize button was missing.

Next, I clicked on the Titlebar Grouping Button of the second Chrome window and the Titlebar Buttons were displayed. The Resize button WAS present. For some reason, the Resize button was missing from the first Chrome window, but present in the second. That is when I noticed the colors of the Titlebar Buttons were different. When I click on the Grouping button in the first Chrome window, the Titlebar Button window (I'm sorry, I do not know what the proper name is for the small window that opens with the Titlebar Buttons) has white icons on a black background (which is expected since I am using the dark theme). However, the Titlebar Button window on the second Chrome window has black icons on a white background. I have included a example image. When I selected "Reapply settings", the missing Resize button appeared and the Titlebar Button window on the second Chrome window now displays the expected white icons on a black background.

I realize how odd this is! I will try to find a screen recorder and see if I can provide a video of the issue. At this time, Google Chrome seems to be the only application affected this way, but I will do more testing with other apps.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/07/2022 11:29:05

Hello, Jim

Sorry for the delay in replying to you.

Do I understand correctly that you observed the problem only in case when you first started Actual Window Manager and then started Chrome and not in reverse order?

After restarting Windows 10 and logging in, when I click on the "Expand/collapse" button on the Chrome titlebar, the "Resize Window" button is missing.
Do the described steps inevitably lead to the problem happening or the problem doesn't happen every time despite you do the same steps?

Are you sure the problem has anything to do with Windows 10 restart and logging in? Could you try to get rid of the problem the way you do (by reapplying the settings), then close Chrome and start it again. Does the problem happen in this case?

Could you when the problem happens next time click the Manage Window Settings button (the one with the wrench icon) and see the name of the settings specified in the first item of the menu - the settings that are currently applied to the window. What is the name of the settings and does it change when you press Reapply?

However, the Titlebar Button window on the second Chrome window has black icons on a white background.
Does the problem with different colors of compact view panels happen every time or is it intermittent?

Do you use dark theme specially in Chrome? Or is dark mode in Chrome a result of the dark theme setting in Windows?

Could you send us your Actual Window Manager configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tool (AWM configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support)?

Jim Fraley

Posted: 03/08/2022 05:10:25

Hi Bogdan, thanks for the reply, I understand you are busy with more important things.

This issue has proven to be very elusive. I have been unable to reliably reproduce it. I will test what you suggested and get back to you.

Jim Fraley

Posted: 03/09/2022 06:53:55

Hi Bogdan, I have some good news (I guess). I have been able to find a series of steps to reliably reproduce the problem.

To answer your previous questions, I have AWM set to auto-start with Windows (I have Windows 11), so I am not sure in which order AWM and Chrome actually start. It seems Chrome is also auto-starting for its own reasons. Fortunately, I notice the issue long after my laptop had rebooted, so I decided to try some things and ignore the "restart of Windows" aspect for the moment.

This sequence will reliably reproduce the issue.
1) If Chrome is open, close it and wait a few seconds for it to completely shutdown.
2) Launch Chrome. Observe that the "Expand/collapse" button for more Titlebar Buttons is black against the dark gray background of the Chrome window titlebar.
3) Click on the "Expand/collapse" button to display the Titlebar Buttons window. Notice the buttons are black on a white background. All buttons are present, including the Resize button. The "Modify applied settings" shows the correct settings of "Google Chrome" have been applied. Other than color of the AWM items, things are just as I expected.
4*) Minimize the Chrome window, and then restore it to the screen. Observe that the "Expand/collapse" button is now correctly white on the dark background.
5*) Click on the "Expand/collapse" button to display the Titlebar Buttons window. Observe that they are now correctly white on a black background and all buttons are present. (I don't think the Minimize/Restore the Chrome window steps affect the missing Resize button, but it does demonstrate the application of the colors issue.) Also, "Modified applied settings" still shows the correct "Google Chrome" settings were applied.
6) With the Titlebar Button window displayed, click on the Resize button and select the first option, which is "50%m x 100%m".
7) Minimize the Chrome window, and then restore it.
8 ) Click on the "Expand/collapse" button and observe that the Resize button is now missing.

Here are the steps summarized: Make sure Chrome is not running. Start Chrome. Expand the Titlebar Button window. Click the Resize button. Select "50%m x 100%m". Minimize the Chrome window. Restore the Chrome window. Expand the Titlebar Button window. The Resize button is missing.

Following those steps, I can reproduce the issue over and over. Hopefully, you will be able to do the same. Let me know if you need me to send the configuration file for AWM settings.

Best Regards, Jim

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/30/2022 17:30:50

Jim,

The problems with disappearing Resize button in all applications and with wrong title buttons color in Chrome and Firefox are two separate problems and they don't seem to be associated with each other. They both have been confirmed, although I was able to confirm the problem with buttons color only on one of two computers. We'll try to fix them and will post here when they're fixed.

You're right, the problem with disappearing Resize button happens when you minimize an application after applying the Resize action to it (the button should have the "Restore size" state in order for the problem to happen in this case) or if an application is in the minimized state as you start Actual Window Manager (in this case the Resize button just don't appear when you restore the window).

As for the problem with title buttons color in Chrome and Firefox - the problem is a bit different for these browsers. The problem with Chrome is that title buttons end up being white no matter light or dark theme you use. But if you start Chrome after Actual Window Manager, then initially the buttons are black (and the Compact View panel is white) but they change their color to white if you resize the window or minimize and restore it.

The problem with Firefox, as I can see, starts when you minimize and restore the Firefox window, but stops after two subsequent minimize/restore actions and the buttons are displayed in white color from this moment. Can you confirm this? If the buttons are still displayed in black color after several minimize/restore actions then please specify the version of Firefox you're running and the exact name of the Dark theme you use in Firefox.

But, as I've mentioned before, I was able to reproduce the color problem only on one of two computers. Could you specify the edition of Windows you're running (Home, Pro etc.)?

Also, please specify the exact number of your Windows build (type winver in the Search field of the Windows Start menu, press Enter. The window containing the build number will appear).

Jim Fraley

Posted: 04/21/2022 23:23:03

Bogdan,

Thank you for your response. I apologize for the delay in my reply. I had not checked this thread as often as I thought. I am glad you were able to reproduce the issue(s). Here is the info about my Windows version:
Windows 11 Home
Version 21H2 (OS Build 22000.613)

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Jim

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/26/2022 08:58:24

Hello, Jim

You wrote:
7) Minimize the Chrome window, and then restore it.
8 ) Click on the "Expand/collapse" button and observe that the Resize button is now missing.

I'm glad to notify you that the problem with disappearing Resize button due to minimization of a window has been fixed and the fix is available in the latest version of Actual Window Manager 8.14.7 and our other products as well.

You can update your program to the latest version (program's tray icon context menu > Info > Check for Updates) or download the latest version manually, install it and confirm the fix.

Best regards.

Messages 1 - 10 of 11
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register