Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Potential, Minor bug involving 'At Startup' rules , alongside some rules having 'Show the grouping button' » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 3975

Syrinx

Posted: 12/03/2021 06:32:23

First off let me say I've been using this wonderfully small program, with an overload of options, and encountered very few issues over the years!
On to the bug report...it's an annoying one (I think)..it took me a bit to figure out how to work around it. In the end it seems to hing on some rules having the 'Show the grouping button' and others not.

Short version before you read the rest, this concerned explorer.exe in particular in my case:
My Old rules use 'Window caption' and all were  'At Startup' 3/4 had 'Show the grouping button' selected
My New rule used 'Window class:CabinetWClass' but was also an 'At Startup' and did NOT have 'Show the grouping button' selected
In the end adding the 'Show the grouping button' to the new rule allowed it to work with the old rules as expected

Long version:
As background let me start with saying that I have had four rules setup for explorer for a while with no issues together.
All four had 'Window caption' based 'At Window Startup' rules I used along with 'launch scripts' that open explorer to a specific directory alongside a related program, for example I have a music player and open explorer to a folder titled 'Music' at the same time and set both to 25% transparency. For the issue I encountered only explorer is important.

Three of these had 'Tile Buttons > Options > Show the grouping button' checked and were set to alter transparency to 25% (Specific folder names)
One did not have the 'Show the grouping button' option selected and was set to change transparency to 10%(This PC)
All four got along quite well until recently when I decided to add a fifth rule to make *all* explorer navigation windows 10% transparent 'At Startup' for which I did NOT have 'Show the grouping button' selected!

Upon starting an explorer instance to a specified folder matching a 'Window caption' rule AWM properly applied the 25% transparency like it had in the past. The issue manifested itself after then clicking into any other sub folder at which time, despite no longer being in the 'at startup' phase, the window would 'flash' and then it applies the *new* 'At Startup' rule and changed the transparency level to 10% instead.

After updating the *new* fifth rule to include 'Show the grouping button' the problem vanished and now the window that was properly set to 25% transparency 'At Startup' remained at 25% even after clicking into sub-folders. I have also removed the forth rule related to just 'This PC' as it became redundant with the new, broader, one.

All rules are 'At Startup' so this feels like a bug. You'll be able to ascertain if it *actually* is one I suppose but either way I have it working as intended for now. Thanks for the awesomely complex software! (No sarcasm intended)

Other potentially helpful info:
Windows 10 1809 x64
AWM 8.14.6.1
Running from the built-in 'Administrator' account without UAC applied to it

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/20/2021 23:03:08

Hello, Syrinx

Thank you for contacting us and sorry for the delay un replying to you.

The issue manifested itself after then clicking into any other sub folder at which time, despite no longer being in the 'at startup' phase, the window would 'flash' and then it applies the *new* 'At Startup' rule and changed the transparency level to 10% instead.
Despite not being useful in your scenario, this behavior is by design. The program reacts not only to "Startup" events but also to "Caption changed" events (the number of changes of caption to which the program reacts is limited). And if some specific settings are currently applied to a window and its caption changes in such way that other Specific Settings should be applied to this window and the limit of the caption changes number the program tracks is not exceeded by this moment then the other Specific Settings will be applied to the window. This switch from one Specific Settings to other only may happen once to a window - next caption change won't be able to cause applying of other Specific Settings.

I'm not sure why your workaround works in ths situation. The grouping button option shouldn't influence the way in which settings are applied to windows. Does your workaround still work?

Could you send us your Actual Window Manager configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tool (AWM configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support)? Please add a link to this topic in the email.

We'll consider adding the ability to prevent applying of other Specific Settings to a window if particular Specific Settings are already applied and ignore the caption change event. We'll post here if the option is implemented.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register