Register

Topic: «Actual Virtual Desktops » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 5933

Philip Daniels

Posted: 09/19/2008 23:48:11

My life revolves around three entitites

Me as xxxxxx the individual
Me as yyyyyy the official in a not for profit
Me as zzzzzz the small business owner

I have my machine set up with 3 Windows user accounts xxxxxx, yyyyyy and zzzzzz.  Each account runs roughly the same apps, Outlook Mail, Office, Firefox, MYOB accounting, and the usual gamut of picture viewers, media players etc.

I want to keep the mail for the three entities separate (they each have different mail accounts), similarly I want to keep documents and business records (accounting, tax etc) separated.  In a nutshell I want to work in an orderly fashion, without getting the three roles hopelessly entangled.

The only apps that I really, really want to be "constant" across all three entities are

Sticky Notes - I have done this with Stickies and the judicious use of junction folders.

Common contacts - I do this via synching an Outlook Contacts PST in each Outlook profile with a common Contacts list on a Google Account.  

Common Diary - I do with the Outlook Calendar as I do with Contacts, synch an Outlook Calendar PST in each Outlook profiles to a common Google Calendar.  This and the Contacts synch is done via Dave Levinson's gSynchIt.

Whilst the multiple user account set up works reasonably on XP, there are some issues on Vista (I'm thinking of moving to Vista 64)and even on XP it's more cumbersome than I would hope.

I looked at a raft of so called Virtual Desktop Managers about a month ago, Cube something, the MS thing in Vista, and at least half a dozen others.  In a word they were collectively and individually useless.  Most were nothing more than Alt/Tab with eye-candy, some were hopelessly unstable and none actually delivered Really Independent Virtual Desktops, each having its own set of programs with its own settings, data files, folders etc

Is it worth trying Actual Virtual Desktops - or is it too just another Alt/Tab with eye candy.

Tatiana Jack
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 09/22/2008 05:30:01

Dear Philip,

Unfortunately our program does not have such options.

E-mail: support@actualtools.com

Philip Daniels

Posted: 09/26/2008 18:13:51

Your honesty just got you a gold star - very refreshing!

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register