Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Problems with Zoom Conferencing and Virtual Desktops , Bug » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 3614

David Rosenthal

Posted: 03/21/2021 06:58:55

I'm on Actual Windows Manager 8.14.5, Windows 10 64-bit.
This is a problem with the Zoom virtual conferencing application - current version (5.5.4) and previous versions over at least the last year.

Like much of the world these days, I spend a lot of time in Zoom virtual meetings.
I have AWM set up to use 8 Virtual Desktops.
The problem is that Zoom seems to be incompatible with Virtual Desktops.
When I'm in a conference, if I go to another desktop, and then I return to the virtual desktop containing the Zoom conference, about 75% of the time I find that the conference windows have disappeared. They may still show in the Virtual Desktop Switcher, but they are no longer visible on screen. The Zoom application seems unaware of this. I can still hear the audio of the conference, and others in the meeting still see my webcam image. I can even hover my mouse over the Zoom icon on the taskbar and see thumbnail images of each Zoom window.

But I've lost access to the actual windows showing the video images and all of my Zoom controls. This is especially challenging when I'm the one hosting the meeting! In that case the only thing that works is to shut down AWM, then the windows magically appear - along with every other window that was open in any desktop.
If I'm not hosting, I can open Task Manager, End Task on Zoom, and then start it up again and rejoin the meeting.

I've trained myself to never switch desktops when I'm on Zoom, but sometimes I forget.  

Another, probably related issue: Today I started Zoom in desktop #6. At some point, I looked at the Virtual Desktop Switcher, and all 3 Zoom icons were showing on desktop #7. I stayed in desktop 6 and ran the meeting. If I had switched to desktop 7, where the icons were, I probably would have lost all access to the windows.

Also probably related: dragging the Zoom windows to another desktop doesn't work. Sometimes they refuse to move, other times the icons move to the desktop but the windows are then not visible on that desktop - or *any* desktop.

I don't know if this is fixable. My guess is that Zoom is doing something non-standard with its windows. But it would be lovely if this worked properly!

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/07/2021 05:29:35

Hello, David

Thank you for contacting us.

I was unable to reproduce the problem with an empty meeting (when I create a meeting and don't invite anyone).

Do the described problems persist in the latest version of Zoom 5.6.1?

Could you see whether the problems persist with an empty meeting as well?

Also please send us your Actual Window Manager configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tool (AWM configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support).

Could you also specify the exact number of your Windows build (type winver in the Search field of the Windows Start menu, press Enter. The window containing the build number will appear).

Best regards.

David Rosenthal

Posted: 10/04/2022 14:37:59

Interesting.
Much of what you're saying, James, is beyond my technical understanding.
But Zoom clearly is doing some non-standard window processing.

I've gotten around the problem I had before by always using this Actual setting for the main Zoom window: "Move to Virtual Window -> All Desktops".
I don't know if the problem still exists, or has been resolved, but this does make Zoom fully usable for me with Actual Window Manager.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register