Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 11
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Constant Crashing » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 26130

Angus Mac

Posted: 03/06/2021 20:42:27

Hi,

I have Actual Windows Manager 8.14.5 and every if the monitors go off (there are 2 monitors).. the computer freezes and hangs.  This is down to this tool and this tool alone.. because it doesn't happen if I exit Windows Manager and then leave the office.

I can't exit this every time I am due to leave.  Can you please assist?

Kind regards

Angus

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/10/2021 17:26:01

Hello, Angus

Thank you for contacting us.

Could you specify the exact number of your Windows build (type winver in the Search field of the Windows Start menu, press Enter. The window containing the build number will appear).

What monitors you use and what interfaces you use to connect them to the computer (HDMI, DVI etc.)?

What exactly are your power settings - do the monitors just go off or the computer goes into sleep mode?

Could you describe the problem more detailed? Do you mean you're unable to wake the computer from sleep mode and the monitors don't start to display Windows?

This is down to this tool and this tool alone.
Do you mean you tried to leave the computer with nothing else running except Actual Windows Manager? Or you always have some other software running besides AWM? Probably, the problem is caused by some type of interaction between AWM and other software in your system.

Best regards.

steb

Posted: 03/19/2021 06:38:36

I'm having the exact same issue.  I'm not sure what's the cause of it and it has been like that since I installed the software ActualMultipleMonitors years ago.  I was about to open a new thread but found this post before I do so.  

Some background information first.  My 2nd monitor is C24FG70 (1920x1080@144Hz), which I believe doesnt have HDMI sleeping function (I forgot how to describe that function accurately).   Everytime I press the monitor button to turn it off, it always acts like it's completely disconnected from my PC hardware, regardless whether ActualMultipleMonitors being installed.  My main monitor has no such issue because it's connected via displayport.   My current windows build is Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.867) but it doesn't matter because this issue has persisted over countless windows updates in the past few years.

Now the crash description. If I have ActualMultipleMonitors active and turn off the 2nd monitor by pressing the button on the monitor, no crash so far (ofc!).   I never put my windows in sleep mode so that means the operation system and all software are still running up the same way as before I left my computer.  BUT if i come back to my computer later and turn on the 2nd monitor, the WHOLE system messes up.  The whole system freezes and system hangs to a point that i literally couldn't do anything but shut it down forcefully with the PC hardware power button.  What I've done over the past few years is that I must turn off ActualMultipleMonitor software before I turned off the 2nd monitor, and in such case there wont be any crashes.

I hope the dev could look into this seriously and advise the possible fix. With this thread being opened by someone else recently I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one have such serious crash issue. It might have been the cause of other software that I dont know but everyone is bound to install certain software they need. I can provide debug/logs/setting file but I dont know how to export them so please advise if needed.

Edit: I'm currently using Actual Multiple Monitors 8.14.5 with license purchased from steam, not Actual Windows Manager

Thank you.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/25/2021 19:40:33

Hello, steb

Could you reproduce the problem so that the system freezes. Then don't turn off the computer right away, wait for a couple of minutes. Then restart the computer and see in the Windows Reliability monitor whether there are critical events around the time of the freezing (you can find it by typing "Reliability" in the Windows taskbar search). Also please see the Event viewer > Windows Logs > the "System" and the "Application" logs – whether there are any errors in them around the time of the freezing? If there are any such events in the logs, then provide more detailed information about them. You can make screenshots of detailed description of the events and send them to support@actualtools.com.

Is the option "Bind the layout to the desktop geometry" enabled in the configuration module of Actual Multiple Monitors (Layout and Snap > Windows Layout > Bind the layout...)? Does the problem happen if you disable this option?

What is your graphics card model and the version of the graphics card driver?

I can provide debug/logs/setting file but I dont know how to export them so please advise if needed.
If you have some debug or log files related to the problem you can use one of the file hosting services (Dropbox, Google Drive for example) to upload the files and provide us links to the files.

Best regards.

steb

Posted: 04/02/2021 13:53:07

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Hello, steb

Could you reproduce the problem so that the system freezes. Then don't turn off the computer right away, wait for a couple of minutes. Then restart the computer and see in the Windows Reliability monitor whether there are critical events around the time of the freezing (you can find it by typing "Reliability" in the Windows taskbar search). Also please see the Event viewer > Windows Logs > the "System" and the "Application" logs – whether there are any errors in them around the time of the freezing? If there are any such events in the logs, then provide more detailed information about them. You can make screenshots of detailed description of the events and send them to support@actualtools.com.

Is the option "Bind the layout to the desktop geometry" enabled in the configuration module of Actual Multiple Monitors (Layout and Snap > Windows Layout > Bind the layout...)? Does the problem happen if you disable this option?

What is your graphics card model and the version of the graphics card driver?

I can provide debug/logs/setting file but I dont know how to export them so please advise if needed.
If you have some debug or log files related to the problem you can use one of the file hosting services (Dropbox, Google Drive for example) to upload the files and provide us links to the files.

Best regards.

Requested files sent to the email provided.  Please have a look.
I forgot to mention my rig in the email.

CPU: Intel i9-9900K @3.60GHz
Graphic Card: GeForce RTX 2080 Ti.  Driver version is 460.79.  
Ram: 64G
Main Monitor: 3840 x 2160 144 hz
2nd Monitor: 1920 x 1080 144 hz

I disabled "Bind the layout to the desktop geometry" this time, and tried to re-produce the problem.  This time it appears the system was not exactly "freezing" but the windows explorer simply kept restarting itself, until I turned off the PC forcibly.  The "crash" pattern is still the same.  The screen just kept flickering from time to time.  The same problem still persists.

Though I already sent the email to the technical support, I post this here because I want someone else who are having the same problem and googling around to know they are not alone, and will update if a solution comes up.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/15/2021 13:21:24

Hello, steb

Sorry for the delay in replying to you.

Are you running DisplayFusion and Actual Multiple Monitors at the same time? Could you temporarily uninstall DisplayFusion and see whether the problem is still there?

There is a wireless network adapter mentioned in the log called "NDMP6 Killer® Wireless-AC 1550 Wireless Network Adapter (9260NGW)". Could you disable the adapter and see if the problem still persists?

Is the Windows Page File disabled in your system? You can see it here: type Advanced System Settings into the Search field of the taskbar and press Enter to open it > Click the Settings button under performance > click over to the Advanced tab and click the Change button in the Virtual memory section. If it's disabled could you enable it and see whether the problem still persists (for example the "Automatically manage the page file size..." option, if you're not sure what exactly size you would like to specify)?

Are your CPU or graphics card overclocked? If yes, then could you undo this and see whether it removes the problem?

Also, are you running the Corsair iCUE application? If yes, then could you temporarily uninstall it and see whether it influence the problem?

Best regards.

Pawel Danielewicz

Posted: 09/29/2021 23:44:28

Since my symptoms are about the same, I thought I would add to this thread, rather than start another.  

The version of Actual Window Manager is 8.14.5.  The system is Windows 10 Enterprise, v. 21H1, OS build 19043.1237.  The computer is Lenovo X280 with Intel® Core™ i7-8650U CPU @ 1.90GHz 2.11 GHz and 16GB RAM.  

The problem is that when I connect a second monitor, whether through USB, ASUS M168B+, or through HDMI, whether built in or in a USB-C add-on, one of 2 projectors in a presentation room, the Windows Explorer begins to endlessly reload itself, making it impossible to carry out any operations in practice on the computer.  The only way to get out of the loop, other than reboot with extra monitor(s) already connected, which I identified, is to exit out of the Actual Windows Manager, best before even connecting the other monitor, and then starting AWM after connecting.  Suspending AWM only does not help.

Yes, I have Taskbar modifiers, StartIsBack, T-Clock, and 7+ Taskbar Tweaker, and also Mouse Without Borders, but disabling or enabling these makes no difference.  Only exit from AWM immediately solves the problem.

steb

Posted: 10/08/2021 07:08:07

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Hello, steb

Sorry for the delay in replying to you.

Are you running DisplayFusion and Actual Multiple Monitors at the same time? Could you temporarily uninstall DisplayFusion and see whether the problem is still there?

There is a wireless network adapter mentioned in the log called "NDMP6 Killer® Wireless-AC 1550 Wireless Network Adapter (9260NGW)". Could you disable the adapter and see if the problem still persists?

Is the Windows Page File disabled in your system? You can see it here: type Advanced System Settings into the Search field of the taskbar and press Enter to open it > Click the Settings button under performance > click over to the Advanced tab and click the Change button in the Virtual memory section. If it's disabled could you enable it and see whether the problem still persists (for example the "Automatically manage the page file size..." option, if you're not sure what exactly size you would like to specify)?

Are your CPU or graphics card overclocked? If yes, then could you undo this and see whether it removes the problem?

Also, are you running the Corsair iCUE application? If yes, then could you temporarily uninstall it and see whether it influence the problem?

Best regards.

I bought and installed displayfusion RECENTLY just wanted to know how better their application is than AMC.  Ofc I'm not stupid enough to report this issue simply based on running such two applications at the same time.

I tried uninstalling every application running at the background but the problem still persists. Sometimes I thought I solved this issue but then it happened again no matter what I did.  And no I dont do overclock stuff. This issue happened long before I changed the Windows Page File settings for other reasons.

People would be surprised this issue is still unreolved when I'm not the only one experiencing it.

Pawel Danielewicz

Posted: 10/10/2021 02:21:57

steb wrote:
I bought and installed displayfusion RECENTLY just wanted to know how better their application is than AMC.  Ofc I'm not stupid enough to report this issue simply based on running such two applications at the same time.

I tried uninstalling every application running at the background but the problem still persists. Sometimes I thought I solved this issue but then it happened again no matter what I did.  And no I dont do overclock stuff. This issue happened long before I changed the Windows Page File settings for other reasons.

People would be surprised this issue is still unreolved when I'm not the only one experiencing it.

Thanks, steb.  I installed DisplayFusion now myself to see how it performs by comparison.  I have periods when I connect and disconnect additional displays few per day, much of it in front of an audience.  Having to exit and restart Actual Tools each time becomes a more hassle than needed.  With the lack of interest in solving the problem by the developers, I may walk to the alternative software myself.  As the first step, the DisplayFusion does not choke when connecting another monitor and the functionalities of AWM that I have been using seem to be there.  Of course, more practice is needed, but a month of free trial should be sufficient.

dscheurenbrand@hotmail.com Scheurenbrand

Posted: 10/10/2021 11:45:16

I am nearing the end of my trial install, and am experiencing this same issue. Not just when connecting monitors, but when the monitors turn off as well. My power settings turn off the monitors, but my machine doesn't sleep. Often, when I log back in, Explorer has frozen, and I must open task manager and kill AWM. Sometimes I have to kill explorer.exe and then run it again. After that, everything is fine, and I can start AWM again and it works fine too. Very frustrating, but I haven't made the plunge of purchasing yet, so at least there's that. It would be great to get this fixed because I really like the product so far.

Messages 1 - 10 of 11
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register