Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[FIXED] Directory Opus / virtual desktops , Unable to move DO to another Virtual Desktop » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 7771

Dirk Wirts

Posted: 10/16/2020 17:51:34

Hi there,

after upgrading Actual Window Manager to 8.14.4 I'm no longer able to move a DO lister to another virtual desktop. I make heavy use of virtual desktops and have several DO listers open, which before werde configured to be opened on startup on specific virtual desktops (I used to have specific names in the titlebar to identify them). That worked before in 8.14.3, but now it is even impossible to move a lister via the icon on the titlebar, or to show it on all virtual desktops. The startup feature to distribute programs to specific virtual desktops still works for my bunch of Firefox browsers, which were move perfectly after startup.
The version of Directory Opus is 12.22

I hope you have a clue, what is wrong and how I may fix it.

Thanks a lot in advance and greetings from Germany

Dirk

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 10/19/2020 05:40:56

Hello, Dirk

Thank you for contacting us.

I was unable to reproduce the problem in Windows 10 with the specified versions of the software. As I can see, moving DO lister window to other virtual desktops works via specific settings for the window and via the title button as well.

but now it is even impossible to move a lister via the icon on the titlebar
Do you mean the button doesn't work or the buttons don't persist in the lister windows?

Could you specify the exact number of your Windows build (type winver in the Search field of the Windows Start menu, press Enter. The Window containing the build number will appear).

Best regards.

Dirk Wirts

Posted: 10/21/2020 12:55:23

Hello Bogdan,

thank you for your reply. I've attached a screenshot with the version.
The button is clearly visible on the titlebar and works for other programs as expected, only DO is ignored, none of the DO listers will swicth virtual desktops, and the option to show them on all desktops is ignored as well.

It seems to be related to my machine, but I have no clue what may cause it. I have tried it on my laptop and there it works fine.
I will check the patlevel of Windows on my laptop later today and will inform you, if it is different.

cu   :)

Dirk Wirts

Posted: 10/21/2020 13:16:15

Hello Bogdan,

the problem is solved - I reinstalled AWM and after that it worked again. Should have tried that first ;-)

Thank you for your support!

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 10/24/2020 08:46:47

Dirk,

I'm glad that you were able to solve the problem. But reinstallation shouldn't have influenced this problem, if you haven't changed any settings during the installation. Maybe, some other factors were involved, who knows.

Dirk Wirts

Posted: 11/16/2020 17:59:01

Hello Bogdan,

sorry to disturb you, but some new problems have surfaced. After updating DO to a new minor version, there was the same problem again, no chance to send any instance of DO to another desktop. The workaround was the same - new install of AWM and after starting all DOs got moved to their Desktops.

Second observation is, that some of the instances of DO seem to disapear randomly. I can see them in Taskmanager for the desktop, but can not access them, they are invisible, and are not shown on the Taskbar. I tried the same trick with reinstalling DWM and the lost DOs were accessible again.

I have no clue so far, what causes this behaviour as I'm not able to reproduce the problem on my notebook - there everything works as expected.

I don't have the time right now, to reinstall my main workstation to test further, which program may interfere - but I will in the near future ....

If you have any clue what might be responsible for this, please keep me in touch :-)

Greetings from Germany,
Dirk

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/19/2020 15:41:18

Hello, Dirk

We were able to confirm the problems you describe (except disappearing of the windows) and they appear to be parts of a more common problem with processing DO windows by Actual Window Manager. The problem has been fixed already and the fix will be available in the next version of AWM.

The problems you describe depend on the order in which you start Directory Opus and AWM. They happen if you start AWM first and then start DO. In this case all the DO windows will have these problems until you exit DO completely and open it again, in the "right" order: first DO and then Actual Window Manager. In this case there should be no problems.

Second observation is, that some of the instances of DO seem to disapear randomly.
Could you describe the problem more detailed? Does this happen with DO windows that are on different virtual desktops? Does it happen with the windows you don't move to other virtual desktops?

Could you see whether this happens if you start the applications in the "right" order?

Best regards.

Dirk Wirts

Posted: 11/20/2020 18:52:43

Hello Bogdan,

thanks for your response. It is great that you have found the problem, I hope the update will be available soon :-)

The disappearing windows seem to be related to switching virtual desktops, but it happens not very often. If it happens, normaly more than one window is lost, on different virtual desktops. It happens to windows which were moved to other desktops, but also to the two on my main desktop, which are not moved.
Yesterday I had the same problem with Media Companion, which wasn't accessible any more, after switching to another virtual desktop and back again. The program was under heavy load looking for new episodes, when it happend.

I hope that helps,

greetings, Dirk

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/13/2021 05:18:22

Hello, Dirk

You wrote:
after upgrading Actual Window Manager to 8.14.4 I'm no longer able to move a DO lister to another virtual desktop.

I'm glad to notify you that the subject issue has been fixed and the fix is available in the latest version of Actual Window Manager 8.14.5 and our other products as well.

You can update your program to the latest version (program's tray icon context menu > Info > Check for Updates) or download the latest version manually, install it and confirm the fix.

As for the problem with windows disappearing – could you see whether this problem persists in the latest version?

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register