Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[FIXED] Windows Apps immediately close on new Windows 10 2004 » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 14307

Max

Posted: 05/31/2020 03:42:45

Hi,

today, I've done an upgrade of a test machine from Windows 10 1909 (x86) to Windows 10 2004 (x86).
After the upgrade, windows apps (Settings, Store, Edge, ...) close immediately if AWM 8.14.3 is running. If it's paused, the apps will open normally.

Kind regards

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/04/2020 02:15:05

Hello, Max

Thank you for contacting us.

We were unable to reproduce the problem on our computers with the standard AWM settings.

Could you send us your AWM configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tool (AWM configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support)? Change the "To..." address to bogdan@actualtools.com and add a link to this topic in the email.

Also please specify the exact number of your Windows build (type winver in the Search field of the Windows Start menu, press Enter. The Window containing the build number will appear).

Best regards.

Max

Posted: 06/05/2020 01:09:01

Hi Bogdan,

since this is a test VM:

Do I completely reset to default configuration by
deleting the contents of "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Actual Tools\Actual Window Manager"
deleting the contents of "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Actual Tools"

If yes, the problem happens here with default configuration. [I've tried this...]
It happens if any titlebar button is active. If I disable all titlebar buttons, Windows Apps will work as expected.

Did you test on a x86 system? Do I have chances, that it'll work on x64?? :)

Max

Posted: 06/07/2020 17:37:29

Just to add: If I add an exception for "c:\Windows\System32\applicationframehost.exe", apps will also start working again (but also won't have all the nice features of AWM).

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/11/2020 14:31:15

Max,

After the upgrade, windows apps (Settings, Store, Edge, ...) close immediately if AWM 8.14.3 is running. <...> It happens if any titlebar button is active. If I disable all titlebar buttons, Windows Apps will work as expected.
The problem has been confirmed on the x86 version of the latest Windows 10. We'll try to fix it and will post here when it's fixed.

As we can see, the problem doesn't persist on the x64 version.

Also, the most of the Windows apps don't close if you open them first, and then start Actual Window Manager. Maybe, this will be helpful for you.

Best regards.

Max

Posted: 06/11/2020 19:12:01

Hi Bogdan,

thank you for testing and confirming.
I can confirm from my side, that this problem does not occur here on a VM I've just setup with Win 10 2004.

Actually this isn't a huge problem on my side. I've just a VM with the programs I commonly use to test upgrades before upgrading my live system.
I admit testing on x86 and then using x64 may not identify all problems. But x86 VMs use less resources and I didn't take the time until now to set up an x64 VM.

I'll use the x64 VM in future...

So thank you for trying to fix the issue.
But I'd be more interested in seeing this crash fixed as it happens also on my live system.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 10/13/2020 01:15:48

Hello, Max

You wrote:
today, I've done an upgrade of a test machine from Windows 10 1909 (x86) to Windows 10 2004 (x86).
After the upgrade, windows apps (Settings, Store, Edge, ...) close immediately if AWM 8.14.3 is running.
<...>
It happens if any titlebar button is active. If I disable all titlebar buttons, Windows Apps will work as expected.

I'm glad to notify you that the subject issue has been fixed and the fix is available in the latest version of Actual Window Manager 8.14.4 and our other products as well.

You can update your program to the latest version (program's tray icon context menu > Info > Check for Updates) or download the latest version manually, install it and confirm the fix.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register