Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «AMM - Performance problems with version 8.14.2 » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 23602

dydzio

Posted: 11/30/2019 16:25:13

I am using trial version of Actual Multiple Monitors 8.14.2 on Windows 7 64 bit. I use laptop as my primary screen, with integrated GPU used for desktop and dedicated for running games etc.If I run games in fullscreen mode with resolution swap, then I notice that Actual Multiple Monitors causes performance problem when minimizing out of games into desktop or returning back to game. There is some heavy processing going out for 5-10 seconds in the background when it occurs and the taskbar on 2nd screen gets restored when it stops (it is rendered incorrectly after each minimize until that "processing" stops).

When "processing" happens system is unresponsive - mouse clicks and keyboard presses do not work.

I do not know if toggling any setting on/off might fix the issue, I would like to know if there is any solution for this problem.

Also I noticed that when my machine is idle then application takes 2-3% of CPU usage, which seems to be sort of much.

In current state I am not convinced to buy full version of this application after trial ends.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/02/2019 20:11:07

Hello, dydzio

Do you mean the system is unresponsive when minimizing/returning back to game only when AMM is running? Is there any similar freezing in this situation when AMM is not running?

If I run games in fullscreen mode with resolution swap
Could you see whether the problem happens if the game has the same resolution as the laptop screen and there is no resolution swap?

Could you open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc combination) and put it on the secondary monitor, open the Processes tab and sort the processes by CPU consumption (descending). Reproduce the issue and see what processes have the highest values of the CPU parameter when the system is unresponsive. Is there a growth in CPU consumption? Do the same for the Memory parameter and let us know the results.

Could you also provide your laptop specifications: CPU and graphics card models, size of RAM.

What monitor do you connect to the laptop and what interfaces do you use to connect the monitor (HDMI, DisplayPort etc.)? Do you use a docking station or a USB video adapter to connect the monitor?

Best regards.

dydzio

Posted: 12/02/2019 23:29:38

Do you mean the system is unresponsive when minimizing/returning back to game only when AMM is running? Is there any similar freezing in this situation when AMM is not running?

Exactly that, there is no freeze when AMM is not running. During the freeze I can move mouse, but other than that everything will get delayed until freeze stops - buttons pressed on keyboard will respond after freeze, also taskbar does not blink when hovering mouse over its icons until freeze stops etc.

Could you see whether the problem happens if the game has the same resolution as the laptop screen and there is no resolution swap?

It also happens, the only time it does not happen is when game is played in a window or in "windowed borderless fullscreen". Also it happens no matter if I use integrated or dedicated GPU.

Could you open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc combination) and put it on the secondary monitor, open the Processes tab and sort the processes by CPU consumption (descending). Reproduce the issue and see what processes have the highest values of the CPU parameter when the system is unresponsive. Is there a growth in CPU consumption? Do the same for the Memory parameter and let us know the results.

Task manager stops refreshing when freeze happens. After changing refresh speed to fast I am able to see notable increase in CPU usage before it stops updating. I am not able to determine which processes get high activity for very short period of time after minimizing and which ones do it for longer time. Two processes that rise in CPU usage most often on multiple freezes are NVDisplay.Container.exe belonging to NVIDIA drivers and explorer.exe belonging to system. Once per few tries there is also higher CPU usage for MSI True Color utility. Nothing suspicious happens with memory usage.

Could you also provide your laptop specifications: CPU and graphics card models, size of RAM.

CPU: intel i7 6700HQ, additional dedicated graphic card is NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970m. I have 8 GB of RAM memory.

What monitor do you connect to the laptop and what interfaces do you use to connect the monitor (HDMI, DisplayPort etc.)? Do you use a docking station or a USB video adapter to connect the monitor?

My 2nd monitor is Dell SE2219H, I use HDMI to connect it directly to the laptop.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/03/2019 19:16:08

dydzio,

Does the problem persist if you pause AMM, but not exit completely (AMM tray icon context menu > Pause)?

Could you create a backup file of your current AMM configuration so that you could restore it later (AMM configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Backup). Then disable the following features in the configuration mopdand see whether the problem persists in this case:
- Multiple Monitors > Taskbar > Multi-monitor taskbar
- Multiple Monitors > Audio Switcher > Enable Audio Switcher
- Window Settings > Default Settings > Startup > Move to monitor
- Window Settings > Default Settings > all title buttons in the list
- Layout and Snap > Windows Layout > Bind the layout to the desktop geometry
- Layout and Snap > Desktop Divider > Enable Desktop Divider
- Layout and Snap > Window Snapping > Aero Snap
- Mouse > Multiple Monitors > Tight monitor boundaries
- Mouse > Multiple Monitors > Lock mouse in monitor
- Also change the Background settings in AMM to "Current Windows background" (Multiple Monitors > Background).

Let us know the results.

Also, do you mind installing custom builds of Actual Multiple Monitors in order to help us figure out what causes the problem?

Best regards.

dydzio

Posted: 12/03/2019 22:53:45

No, the problem does not persist if I pause AMM. But with AMM running I disabled all mentioned features, unfortunately the problem still persists.

And yes, I can install custom builds to help.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/09/2019 19:42:15

dydzio,

Could you see whether the problem persists when the secondary monitor is not connected to the laptop and there is only the laptop display in the system?

Could you also try to make the external monitor the main monitor in the system and see whether the problem persists in this case?

Are you able to connect the external monitor using other interfaces than HDMI? Could you try to connect the monitor using other interfaces and also see whether the problem persists.

Let us know the results.

Best regards.

dydzio

Posted: 12/12/2019 01:33:12

When secondary monitor is not connected the freeze is there, but lasts for noticeably shorter time.

Making external monitor a main one did not change anything.

I am not able to connect external monitor using other interface than HDMI.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 10/16/2020 19:35:04

Hello, dydzio

I'm glad to notify you that we've made some changes in our software that should improve the performance upon minimizing/maximizing full screen games and disabling/enabling monitors. The changes should eliminate or significanlty reduce the lags in these situations. The fix is available in the latest version (8.14.4) of Actual Window Manager and Actual Multiple Monitors.

Could you please try this version and let us know whether it improves the performance. You can update your program to the latest version (program's tray icon context menu > Info > Check for Updates) or download the latest version and install it manually. Even if your free updates period has expired, you still can use this version 30 minutes a day, which should be enough to check the improvement.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register