Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Unghost Window » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 21791

Mustafa Vohra

Posted: 11/18/2019 19:07:02

I have set up a hotkey 'alt+w' for ghosting a particular window using the actual window manager. Now to unghost that window permanently, I have to unghost the window temporarily using hotkey(temporary unghost) and then using the title button I have to permanently unghost the window.

Using 'alt+w' hotkey does not unghost the same window.

Is there any quicker way to permanently unghost a window?

If not then I would like to have a feature request where the hotkey to ghost a window, should also be able to unghost it.

Thanks

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/19/2019 22:08:33

Hello, Mustafa

The "Ghost/unghost" hotkey is applied to a window which is active at the moment, so in order to apply the "unghost" action to a window using this hotkey, you need to make it active first. You can make a "ghost" window active by clicking its taskbar icon or by switching to it using the task switcher (alt+tab).

Do you need to frequently enable/disable the ghost state for windows? Could you describe the scenario where you need to do it frequently?

Best regards.

Mustafa Vohra

Posted: 11/21/2019 03:40:52

Thank you.
I  need to frequently enable/disable the ghost state for window. I use a touch screen and a OneNote in transparent mode to write with pen with a pdf behind it. I unghost OneNote and scroll the pdf, which is needed to be done frequently.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/22/2019 09:48:55

Mustafa,

Could you clarify how exactly you use the ghost and transparency features in this situation? Maybe, you mean that you apply ghost and transparency (an also "Stay always-on-top") to the PDF application and OneNote is behind it and you write into OneNote through the PDF app?

Do you use physical keyboard for input or only touch monitor?

Best regards.

Mustafa Vohra

Posted: 11/22/2019 11:04:24

I use Software called tablet pro which mapped keys/shortcuts to a touch screen. I used a touch screen for my work along with tablet pro, actual window manager, OneNote, and pdf software.

I use OneNote on top with transparency and stay always on top (i can quickly toggle using shortcut key mapped in tablet pro). I ghost OneNote and scroll pdf. I can use alt-tab and then unghost but I find it time-consuming (keep my taskbar hidden all time).

Thanks

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/23/2019 19:04:29

Mustafa,

In this case I can see how the ability to unghost a window quicker is useful for you. But have you considered using Roll up feature instead of Ghost? You can create specific settings for OneNote and enable the "Unrolled if active" option in the Rollup section of the settings. In this case you'll be able to reach the PDF window by rolling up OneNote and then it will be unrolled as you click any place in the OneNote title bar after you finish scrolling PDF.
You can use the Roll up title button. You can enable it in the settings for OneNote here: AWM configuration module > Window Settings > Specific Settings > settings for OneNote > Title Buttons. Or you can use the hotkey Roll up. The standard key configuration using the Windows key doesn't work in Windows 10, but you can adjust the combination here: AWM configuration module > Hotkeys > Actions > Window > Roll up. You can change it to something like "Ctrl+,".
If you don't have specific settings for OneNote, you need to create them. Here you can learn about how to create specific settings.

Let us know whether this solution is suitable for you. Maybe, you need to see your writings while scrolling PDF and the Ghost feature is preferred?

Best regards.

Mustafa Vohra

Posted: 11/25/2019 12:02:46

I find it useful to see my notes while scrolling pdf behind and hence find ghost/unghost useful. It is written in the manual that ghosting will allow passing mouse click but will react to hotkeys? So unghosting should work even when the ghost window is on top. Anyways I will either use alt-tab rather than rollup or ignore deactivation combine with ghosting.

Thanks

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 11/25/2019 16:20:15

Mustafa,

We'll consider your request of the ability to unghost a window quicker. For now the as the best way to implement this we see the option to leave the ghost/unghost button always active for ghost windows. We'll post in this topic if the feature is implemented.

It is written in the manual that ghosting will allow passing mouse click but will react to hotkeys?
Hotkeys are applied to active windows. It's implied in the manual text, that you activate a ghost window first, either via its taskbar button or Alt+Tab combination. In this case the window reacts to hotkeys.

Anyways I will either use alt-tab rather than rollup or ignore deactivation combine with ghosting.
Please note that the Rollup solution I've described doesn't involve ghosting.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register