Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Context menu unavailable for some apps SUDDENLY. , I haven't changed anything in that should do this. It's only SOME apps » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 18686

David Hardman

Posted: 03/29/2019 10:12:04

AWM v8.13.3
Windows 10 Professional x64
BSPlayer v2.73 &
Windows 10 Sticky Notes v3.1.46.0.
So far.

Context menu unavailable for some apps SUDDENLY. I haven't changed anything in AWM that should do this. I've looked through and through the AWM options but I can't see anything that would cause specifically this issue. I do know FOR SURE it is AWM causing the problem because when I shut down, or pause AWM, the programs with the issue instantly function normally again.
Unpause AWM and instantly the issue is back.

If I hold the CTRL key down I can rt click and the context menu shows up. However I've looked several times through ALL OF AWM's options and I can't see a setting that does exactly this. But again, I know for sure it is AWM.
I don't know how I'm missing it. I need some fresh eyes.
Thanks for your help.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/01/2019 09:16:46

Hello, David

I was unable to reproduce the problems.

Could you tell what exactly context menus of these applications you have problems with?

Could you name the exact number of your Windows build (type winver in the Search field of the Windows Start menu, press Enter. The Window containing the build number will appear).

Also please send us your AWM configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tool (AWM configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support). Change the "To..." email address to uninstall@actualtools.com and add a link to this topic to the email.

Best regards.

David Hardman

Posted: 04/02/2019 11:06:44

Hey Bogdan thanks for the response.

I'm on W10 x64 v1809 Build 17763.379

The problem is when I right click on BSPlayer anywhere, ie video window, player interface, or Windows Sticky notes application window OR even just one of the notes no context menu appears. IF however I hold down the Ctrl key and rt click the normal context menu appears. That's all it takes but it's so specific that it seems like it would be a setting or something to enable a shortcut by holding Ctrl for example. The only thing is, why isn't it with everything.

Rt Clk works in File Explorer, everywhere in FF Quantum, The desktop, the start menu and the taskbar, on files or folders, Word & Excel cm works, OneNote, Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate works.

1. I found even the AWM main window itself has the same issue. (In the Main AWM window under "Specific Settings" the normal context menu with add, edit, delete,copy etc doesn't appear unless I hold down the Ctrl key.
2. "Everything Search" has the same problem
3. BSPlayer
4. Sticky Notes
5. The Windows Registry Editor has the problem.
In each case holding the Ctrl key down fixes the issue.

I just found also, it's just the context menu within the application, the context menu for the titlebar works normally.

Still it has to be some shortcut messing about with these settings but I can't find it in AWM even though that is the kind of thing AWM does specifically and the issue stops instantly when I pause or quit AWM and appears instantly when AWM is restarted.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/02/2019 18:14:37

David,

The problem is most likely associated with the "Drag the mouse to scroll windows" feature (AWM configuration module > Mouse > Drag and Scroll > Drag the mouse...). The described behavior can happen in some applications if no modifier keys are enabled for this feature and it's started by simple right click. Hence, if you press any modifier key (Ctrl, Shift, Alt or Windows key) the feature is not started and the context menu appears correctly. Try to enable any modifier for this feature and see whether it solves the problem. Let us know the result.

As for the problem, we'll try to fix it and will post in this topic when it's fixed.

Best regards.

David Hardman

Posted: 04/02/2019 23:42:54

Wow, You really know your product Bogdan. Great thinking on that.
I never would have even thought about that as the potential source of the problem. Thanks so much for your help.

BTW I consider AWM one of the most useful pieces of software I've ever come across. And I use A LOT of software. I've got over 100 applications on each of my systems and over 100 add-ons in FF. Well typically, I just went with FF Quantum so I haven't added that many yet. But I definitely will.
I mean, browsers and email are great and all and obviously there are thousands of useful apps but nothing that does what AWM does to the level AWM does it.

This app by itself makes things on a multi monitor setup unbelievably better. I can't believe at this point that Windows is actually SOOOOO bad at multi-monitor control. Like they haven't thought of people connecting many screens at this point with screens getting so cheap.

Anyway, thanks again and Cheers.

Oh, and Tabbed File Explorer, AWESOME

One other thing I've come across and maybe you know of a solution. In Windows Sticky notes the AWM icons in the title bar are inaccessible.
If I click on any of them nothing happens.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/12/2019 15:39:03

David,

Thank you for your high appreciation of our work. It's true pleasure to have such grateful users like you!

One other thing I've come across and maybe you know of a solution. In Windows Sticky notes the AWM icons in the title bar are inaccessible.
This is a bug. It has been confirmed and we'll try to fix it. We'll post in this topic when the problem is fixed.

Best regards.

David Hardman

Posted: 04/17/2019 14:08:04

1. I want to have absolute control over windows opening in the foreground so I can instantly start typing into them. There are some apps that go to the back for some stupid reason. Calculator for one. Notepad/wordpad. had the problem in the past. Always on top doesn't work. even with freeze on. What does freeze do btw I've tried locking applications on top before but it doesn't work in a lot of situations. File Explorer for instance.
I tried forcing them to lock the window by doing something innocuous. like adding a border even though it already has that, or forcing it to a different screen, or resizing it or adding or removing the min/max buttons. I tried it with "Block premature appearance of window" enabled and disabled. It's very frustrating. Notepad was doing the same thing it would always come up in the background. How can that be useful to anyone Microsoft.

2. Another question. There are some windows I don't know how to hook. They're windows like a menu or something, so when you go to AWM to create a rule you can't really do that. because the window goes away any time you try to link them. Click on the targeting icon to drop it on the window and oops the window's gone. frustrating.

3. Also how can you get AWM to differentiate a second window related to a main window when AWM sees them as the same window. They have the same path to the same executable. Same window class, even the same window caption.

Thanks for your help Bogdan

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/19/2019 03:03:38

David,

What does freeze do btw
The Freeze option of Stay Always-on-top action is designed to deny application's attempts to change the specified Always-on-Top state.

Although, there may be some applications that don't accept the "Stay Always-on-top" feature correctly, even when the Freeze option is enabled.

File Explorer for instance.
I tried forcing them to lock the window by doing something innocuous.
Are you talking about Tabbed Explorer of Actual Window Manager (AWM configuration module > Files and Folders > Tabbed Explorer > "Group explorer windows..." option) ? There is a known problem, where the "Stay Always-on-Top" state of this window is reset during many actions. I was unable to see any problems with usual Explorer windows.

I was unalbe to reproduce the problem with Notepad. Could you provide a step-by-step description of how to reproduce the problem?

What other programs except Explorer and Notepad you have this problem with?

They're windows like a menu or something, so when you go to AWM to create a rule you can't really do that. because the window goes away any time you try to link them.
You can use the AWM Log window in order to create Specific Settings/Exclusions for such type of windows. Open the log window (AWM tray icon context menu > Show log window), make sure the logging is enabled ("Enable logging" option in the log window). Open the menu you need to create a rule for and watch the new item appears in the log window. Make sure the item belongs to the menu, right click it and you can manage the settings from the menu.

Also how can you get AWM to differentiate a second window related to a main window when AWM sees them as the same window. They have the same path to the same executable. Same window class, even the same window caption.
Unfortunately, for now the program can't distinguish the windows with exactly the same values of the Target Window criteria, but we'll consider this as a feature request, and will post in this topic if it's implemented.

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 05/17/2019 05:34:45

Hello, David

I'm glad to notify you that the subject issue has been fixed and the fix is available in the latest version of Actual Window Manager 8.14.0 and our other products as well.

You can install the latest version and confirm the fix.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register