New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 18
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «[FIXED] Occasional high CPU with AWM , AWM 8.13.2 on Windows 10 64-bit 1803 build 17134.407 » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 49970

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 03/01/2019 18:24:31

I've been seeing occasional runaway process—always ActualWindowManagerCentrer.exe (not the Center64.exe or ShellCenter64.exe processes). Once it happens, pausing AWM and restarting will cure it for a while, but eventually something triggers it again, and that process is back to 100%. In task manager, it actually shows as just below 20% with having a 6-core CPU I'm guessing it wouldn't normally get above that in a single thread.

I saw in the 8.13.3 release notes it mentions high CPU with SmartScreen, but I don't see that process, only the AWM one. Is that the same issue or something else?

Any other info I can provide, please let me know.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/07/2019 03:46:12

Hello, David

and that process is back to 100%. In task manager, it actually shows as just below 20%
Could you clarify where exactly you see 100% CPU value and where you see 20%?

Is the utilization of some particular logical processors (threads) especially increased when this happens (Task Manager > Performance > CPU > right click > Change graph to: Logical processors)?

Have you noticed whether the problem is associated with starting some other applications or any other events?

pausing AWM and restarting will cure it for a while, but eventually something triggers it again
Does it happen always the same time after you restart AWM? How long does it take for the problem to appear?

Best regards.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 03/07/2019 23:04:16

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I have 6 logical CPUs (and 6 cores—i5 8600K), and one thread goes to 100%, giving around 20% utilisation overall. It sometimes takes me a while to notice that performance is lower than it should be, but usually presents itself as slow window actions (minimise / maximise / resize, etc.).

The problem is very intermittent (like maybe once or twice a week), and I haven't yet spotted anything in particular that triggers it. It does seem though that once it's happened, it's likely to come back later during the same session. I will try to track it more specifically.

Is there anything useful I can gather during the next occurrence?

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/11/2019 14:00:33

David,

Could you next time the problem happens create dump file of the process ActualWindowManagerCentrer.exe: Task Manager > Details tab > right click on the process in the list > Create dump file. The "Dumping process" window will appear, and when the file is created it will show the path to the file. Please, send this file to uninstall@actualtools.com.

Best regards.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 03/16/2019 02:12:23

Email with link to .dmp file just sent.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 04/03/2019 19:58:26

Happening again, and this time I can 'trigger' it. But, I don't know what started this in the first place.

I'm doing development with Google's Firebase tools, and I have a Powershell window open where I'm running their local development command like so:

Code
PS > firebase functions:shell

This is failing with an error:

Code
error: D:\Dropbox\Vue\Firebase\Feedfilter\functions\node_modules\firebase-tools\node_modules\configstore\index.js:69
                                throw err;
                                ^

Error: EPERM: operation not permitted, rename 'C:\Users\davidl\.config\configstore\firebase-tools.json.2270567997' ->
'C:\Users\davidl\.config\configstore\firebase-tools.json'

This is a pretty common but random error, and, when it happens, AWM always ends up running at full tilt (see attached—it's on a 6-core machine, so 20% is I guess 1 thread running 100%+).

Pausing / resuming AWM puts it's CPU use back to normal, and then I try running the firebase command again. Eventually, it will work fine.

Could be coincidence I know, but another data point. I've sent a .dmp of the latest incident to uninstall@actualtools.com (was this the correct address? It's what was in the message above...)

Tx

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/05/2019 18:17:22

David,

Thank you for the information, we'll look into this.

This is a pretty common but random error, and, when it happens, AWM always ends up running at full tilt
Does the problem start immediately when this error happens, or after some time?

Does the problem happen now without this error as well, or it happens ONLY when this error happens?

Best regards.

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 09/18/2019 21:18:13

So, I still have this problem, but the trigger is different now. Firebase fixed whatever it was causing that exception and I don't see it any more. However, 4 times today I've noticed my machine slowing down, and AWM is running 100%. Pausing / restarting AWM fixes it for a short time. It's not obvious exactly what causes it, but I'm using Vivaldi, Chrome, KiTTY and Powershell mainly.

I've captured the .dmp file, zipped it, and emailed a link to it to support@actualtools.com

If we can find the root cause and fix it, I'll be _very_ happy to upgrade to get it :).

David Lomas
Advanced user

Posted: 09/18/2019 21:21:08

Sorry, I missed FreeCommander from my list of common apps, and it's in that I really notice the problem—it's window redraw / refresh really crawls along once AWM has gone haywire.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 10/04/2019 04:25:54

Hello, David

Could you download Process Explorer from Microsoft site and extract the program from the downloaded archive. When the problem happens again start Process Explorer and find the ActualWindowManagerCentrer.exe process in the list. Click it with the right button, then select "Properties" item > "Threads" tab. Select the thread that has the highest CPU consumption and click the "Stack" button – a stack for this thread window will open. Make sure all the items of the stack are visible and increase the size of the window if needed. Then make a screenshot of the Stack window. Close and reopen Stack window two more times at intervals of 20 seconds or more and make two more screenshots. Also make a screenshot of the process Properties window with the Threads tab open and send all four screenshots to bogdan@actualtools.com.

Best regards.

Messages 1 - 10 of 18
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register