Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «AMM Not Allowing Sound through Headset » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 5401

Nelson Lopes

Posted: 12/01/2018 10:43:14

Bogdan,

First, thank you for all your work on fixing the past issues I've reported with AMM. I upd ated to 8.13.3 and for the first time in a very long time, started playing a game with my son on Steam.  When I have AMM running, the sound from the game will NOT come through the headset.  Here's my explanation:

With AMM running, I have AMM configured to use the Audio Switcher (i.e. Enabled). I have it set to be bound to monitor so that if I'm playing audio in an application it will play through that monitor and if I change the application to the other monitor, the sound moves with it.  This is working well.

However, AMM seems to NOT follow Windows 10 settings.  When I turn on my Corsair RGB Pro headset, in order to get sound out of them, I have to click on the speaker icon in the tasktray and choose my headset.  Now, when I adjust the volume on my PC, I hear the "ding" in my headset.  BUT, if I open up FireFox and play a video on YouTube, the sound is coming from the monitor!!!  I have to choose/change AMM to say "Application Default" and then it plays through my headset.  Also works if I change it to "Exactly specified" and choose my wireless headset.  But turning off the headset - when I'm not going to use it anymore, AMM now doesn't work they way I want.  It should "follow" Windows 10's chosen output device and likewise change it as I change it in AMM.

Example 1:
1). AMM "Audio Switcher" is ENABLED.
2). Windows 10 is set to have output playing through Monitor #1 and AMM is set to "Bound to monitor"
3). When app is on Monitor #1, sound is correct on Monitor #1.
4). When I move the app to Monitor #2, the sound moves to Monitor #2, BUT the chosen audio output in Windows 10 STAYS ON MONITOR #1.
Not sure how AMM is moving/choosing the sound output device, but I believe it really should move/change the Windows 10 setting too!  This would resolve this issue.

Example 2:
2). Windows 10 is set to have output playing through Monitor #1 and AMM is set to "Bound to monitor"
4). Now I want the audio though my headset, so in Windows, I choose "Corsair Wireless Gaming Headset" and the sound is now through the headset.
5). I move the app to Monitor #2 and the audio stops playing in the headset and plays through Monitor #2.
I believe it should STAY on the headset in this case.  Not sure if AMM can detect the audio is a headset and NOT move to monitors - i.e. stay on the headset (chosen Windows 10 output).

Example 3:
4). Now I want the audio though my headset, so in Windows, I choose "Corsair Wireless Gaming Headset" and the sound is now through the headset.
5). I open up Steam and load a game. When the game opens the audio starts playing through the monitor the game is on.  I can't make it play though the headset even though the headset is chosen in Windows 10.  Somehow AMM is overriding the Windows 10 setting.  I have to CLOSE & EXIT AMM before step #5 and then everything works correctly!

Example 4:
1). AMM "Audio Switcher" is DISABLED.
2). I want the audio though my headset, so in Windows, I choose "Corsair Wireless Gaming Headset" and the sound is now through the HEADSET.
3). I open up Steam and load a game.  When the game opens the audio starts playing through the headse t as it should!
So it seems the Audio Switcher being enabled is what is causing the issue here and I don't really need to CLOSE AMM as in Example #3 to have a game audio work correctly.  Again, I believe AMM should follow the chosen Windows 10 output audio setting and changing the output setting in AMM should change it in Windows - they should follow each other.

I am running the latest Windows 10 Professional 1809.

I'd be happy to provide you any settings, screenshots, etc.  If you have any questions, please let me know.  I'm hoping this can be improved.  AMM is the best multi monitor application out there!!!  Nothing even compares.  Thanks again for all your hard work!

Kind Regards,
Nelson

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 12/03/2018 21:25:39

Hello, Nelson

However, AMM seems to NOT follow Windows 10 settings.
The whole idea of the Audio Switcher feature is to let the user to adjust the rules for audio in more flexible way depending on particular application or the monitor an application is placed on. This is impossible without the ability to not follow the Windows settings i.e. default audio device settings. See, you have the default audio device in the system as a base, and the AMM audio switcher settings which are based on this setting, are "over" it, but not necessarily override it (for example when you use Application default option or -Not specified- as bound audio device for a monitor).

The sound is not coming from your headset when you set it as default device, because it goes to the devices which are bound to monitors in the settings, and they are stricly specified devices.

I believe AMM should follow the chosen Windows 10 output audio setting and changing the output setting in AMM should change it in Windows - they should follow each other
This is just not an option here. Imagine two audio applications on different monitors at the same time with audio coming from each monitor. Which monitor's audio device should became default in this case? And what does "following the chosen Windows 10 output" means in this situation? Should the audio of all the applications come from the default device i.e. one of the monitors? But it's against the idea of Audio Switcher.

Although, I see what you need and I understand why you need it to work this way. Maybe, we'll consider the option which, for example, switches all the audio in the system to the headphones device, when it's set as default or something like this.

For now workarounds are to set -Not specified- as device bound to the monitor you play the game on in the Audio Switcher settings (in this case the audio from this monitor will be played via the default audio device whether it's this monitor or the headset) or disable the Audio Switcher feature when you use the headset (you don't have to close AMM completely, you can just disable the feature here: AMM configuration module > Multiple Monitors > Audio Switcher > Enable Audio Switcher).

I choose "Corsair Wireless Gaming Headset" and the sound is now through the headset.
5). I move the app to Monitor #2 and the audio stops playing in the headset and plays through Monitor #2.
What is the monitor 1# bound audio device in the Audio Switcher settings? Is it set to -Not specified-?

I choose "Corsair Wireless Gaming Headset" and the sound is now through the headset.
5). I open up Steam and load a game. When the game opens the audio starts playing through the monitor the game is on.
Does the game open on the monitor #2?

Best regards.

Nelson Lopes

Posted: 12/04/2018 03:18:57

Bogdan,

Thank you for your prompt reply.  I understand. Currently, when playing a game, I simply just disable the "Audio Switcher" in AMM since I figured that resolved the issue.  I suppose in the future it would be a nice feature if AMM knows if a "headset" is being used, then use that as the output audio device regardless of the AMM Audio Switcher settings - so audio won't switch to the monitor speakers (as I have it setup).  Thank you again!

Kind Regards,

Nelson

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register