Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Odd 'minimize to tray' behaviour in AWM 5 , Window doesn't restore correctly from tray » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 12786

Neil

Posted: 02/18/2008 02:09:20

Hi there

This problem is very minor and quite obscure. In fact it's so obscure, I'm reporting it only in case it helps you guys make AWM work even better than it does already. If you can fix it, great - but I won't be too disappointed if you can't!

It occurs with an application that I use all the time - Altap Salamander (an excellent Norton Commander look-alike from www.altap.cz).

Here's how it goes:

I have set up a rule in AWM 5.0 to minimize Altap Salamander to the tray - that works fine. But when I restore it from the tray, the app's menu and toolbar are corrupted - though they still work fine if I click on them. The corruption makes part of the toolbar and menu bar white (I've attach a composite image with 'before' and 'after' views).

This problem occurs only when *all* of the following three conditions exist:

1) I have Vista's Aero feature enabled;
2) I have a skin enabled with WindowBlinds 6 (www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds)
3) The app is not maximized (which it never is).

If I have Aero enabled but am using the default skin, there's no problem. The same is true if these conditions are reversed.

I've also experimented by unloading AWM and enabling a "minimize-to-tray" feature in WindowBlinds. In this situation, when I minimize Altap Salamander to the tray, it restores perfectly. (I don't use this feature because AWM does it much, much better.) When I restart AWM and disable WindowBlinds' minimize-to-tray feature, the problem returns.

Here are a few more facts you may find helpful:

1) If I use an AWM titlebar button to minimize this app to the tray, exactly the same thing happens.

2) If I restore the application then maximize it, the corruption disappears while it's maximized. As soon as I 'restore' the window, the corruption returns. (Resizing or repositioning has no effect on the corruption.)

3) If I maximize the app's window, then minimize it to the tray then restore it (back to maximized), the problem doesn't occur

Hopefully this will help you guys figure out what's going on!

Best regards & keep up the great work

neil

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 02/18/2008 05:12:19

Neil,

Thank you for the detailed report. We will try to reproduce the bug.

One more thing, could you please re-send us the 2 screenshots, but now as they are (scale: 1:1), to support@actualtools.com

John MacDonald

Posted: 02/25/2008 09:55:22

I also have this very same issue.  Great description of the problem, Neil - I don't have anything to add to it at all!

Neil

Posted: 03/06/2008 09:57:30

Thanks on two accounts, John:

1) It's comforting to know that someone else is experiencing the same problem and that I'm not going mad (despite what my daughters might tell you).

2) It's kind of you to compliment my description of the problem. But it would be dishonest of me to fail to disclose that I am a professional writer, with a particular emphasis on translating technical material into plain English (e.g. articles, ads). So my clients expect this kinda stuff from me all the time!

It's interesting to note that some tech problems seem insoluble, despite crystal clear communication. I'm having just such an issue with my ADSL box which is on the verge of causing me to become violent.

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 03/06/2008 22:45:37

Neil, please re-send us the 2 screenshots, but now as they are (scale: 1:1), to support@actualtools.com  

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register