Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[FIXED] AWM update to v8.13.1 freezes computer » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 10217

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 09/28/2018 01:49:20

Hello Bogdan and Vasiliy,

After a long absence I am trying to come back onto the forum. The reasons for my absence are still not over, but I will try.

Today I updated AWM v8.13.0 to v8.13.1 on my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 system. It did not go well. The update went fine but after the update it was impossible to log off from Windows or shutdown. The Windows crash sound is played, I can move my cursor but do nothing else. The entire desktop is frozen. If I click Ctrl-Alt-Del I do get the familiar screen, but if I then click f.i. Log-off or Cancel my entire desktop turns black and nothing happens anymore. The only option is a hard reset. The same happens when I right click the AWM tray icon and choose exit or even when I try to kill ActualWindowManagerCenter.exe *32 on the process tab of Task Manager.

Noteworthy is also that the scroll wheel on my Logitech Wireless Trackball M 570 does not work in Firefox 52.9.0 ESR x86 and Firefox 60.2.1 ESR x64. The scroll bars in those windows still work, so Firefox itself has not crashed. The scroll wheell still works in other programs like Vivaldi. The Firefox issue still happens when I switch off my custom specific rules for Firefox and when I kill the Logitech SetPoint process via Task Manager, so these cannot be the cause.

I was able to resolve the situation at first by going into Windows Safe Mode and uninstall AWM from there. After rebooting I installed AWM 8.13.0 and everything worked fine again. For testing purposes I then updated to version 8.13.1 again and then the issues reoccurred again. Only this time I was unable to uninstall AWM both in Windows Normal Mode and Safe Mode. Both times I got an error: “Internal error: Cannot find utCompiledCode record for this version of the uninstaller.”. I had to restore an image from a couple of days ago to get a working system again.

The first time I updated to version 8.13.1 there was a window with processes that the AWM setup program wanted to close but was unable to. I chose the first option: to go ahead anyway and not having to log-off and log-on again, because I have had good experiences with that option and the AWM setup in the past. The second time I tried to update to version 8.13.1 there was no such window and AWM updated without issues, until the described issues after the update appeared.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 09/28/2018 20:15:20

Hello, Pim

The update went fine but after the update it was impossible to log off from Windows or shutdown. The Windows crash sound is played, I can move my cursor but do nothing else. The entire desktop is frozen.
Could you create a new user account in the system, install the 8.13.1 version and see whether the problem persist for this user?

Have you tried to reset your AWM configuration to default? Create a backup file of your configuration (AWM configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Backup) so that you could restore the configuration later. Then exit AWM completely, go to %appdata%\Actual Tools folder and delete the Actual Window Manager folder. Then start the program again.
If this helps, send us the backup file containing the configuration to uninstall@actualtools.com.

Noteworthy is also that the scroll wheel on my Logitech Wireless Trackball M 570 does not work in Firefox 52.9.0 ESR x86 and Firefox 60.2.1 ESR x64.
Could you tell how the "Scroll inactive windows with the mouse wheel" option is adjusted in your system (AWM configuration module > Mouse > Drag and Scroll > Scroll inactive windows...)? Is it enabled and don't have any modifier keys? Could you disable it, click Apply, restart Firefox and see whether the problem persists?

Best regards.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 10/05/2018 02:23:08

Pim,

Glad to see you again, although the circumstances are not very pleasing. :oops:

Both reported issues (freeze at shutdown and incorrect scrolling) have been confirmed and fixed already. The next update 8.13.2 with both fixes should come out next week.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 10/05/2018 13:32:50

Hello Alex and Bogdan,

Thank you both for your replies. I had not followed Bogdan's suggestions yet, as I am also in the process of switching to a new imaging program which I have been learning the basics of. I wanted to test the suggestions once I had made an image with the new imaging program, so I could easily revert back to the old situation if necessary. The bright side is that this waiting saved me some testing  ;)

I will follow up with the results once you have released 8.13.2.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 10/14/2018 01:45:28

Hello Alex and Bogdan,

I want to confirm that the update to v8.13.2 solved the described issues. Also a big THANK YOU for enabling Title buttons in Vivaldi! I use that browser next to Firefox and the biggest drawback until now was that AWM's Title buttons did not work in Vivaldi.

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 10/18/2018 18:02:25

Pim,

I want to confirm that the update to v8.13.2 solved the described issues.
Yes, these problems have been fixed in the version 8.13.2.

Thank you for following our updates.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 2, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register