New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 12
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «[FIXED] Notification Area Change between versions, Bug? » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 33479

Syrinx

Posted: 08/23/2018 06:04:45

While using AWM 8.12.x and other previous versions when programs were 'runas' a different user that made use of notification area icons/entries they would show up in the notification area of the primary users taskbar. So far with 8.13 they no longer appear or are interactive in this area meaning that any program set to 'minimize or close to tray' effectively runs in the background instead of showing up on the tray if started as another user. While normal for windows, it isn't what I've gotten used to while making use of AWM.

Windows 10 x64 1803
Programs tested: Discord, Origin, Skype & Steam

Is this a bug or an expected change just not covered in the release notes?

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 08/23/2018 11:32:47

Hello, Syrinx

What exactly user you select to run these programs? Is this user account associated with Microsoft account?

Are these windows processed by AWM at all (do they have extra title buttons or extra menu items)?

While normal for windows, it isn't what I've gotten used to while making use of AWM.
Do you mean the standard tray icon doesn't appear in Windows tray when you start the program in the run as other user mode?

Best regards.

Syrinx

Posted: 08/23/2018 14:51:07

No Microsoft Accounts were used, they are all local users.

As a test in a VM you could install EAs Origin (no need to sign up or sign in to see differences)

Run Origin as current user and it shows the tray icon in the notification area
Exit Origin

Create a new user and launch Origin as said user instead, eg via cmd
Code
NET USER Test Test /ADD /Y
RUNAS /USER:Test /SAVECRED "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\Origin.exe"

Then enter the password: eg in this case, Test and hit enter

On 8.12 and ever other previous version I've ever used this would still show the tray icon in the notification area
On 8.13 there is no tray icon in the notification area

While testing this again myself in a VM I noticed with Process Explorer that any app launched with runas, including notepad was no longer having the aimemb.dll or aimembd64.dll loaded so this appears to be the primary reason! In 18.12 and previous versions these were also getting injected in apps started by runas.

After using Process Monitor I see why! For some reason, despite the 'Run the library from the installation folder' option being checked, it is still trying to load the dll via the AppData\Local\Temp folder.

So say my main user is called "RealUser" but I use runas to Launch notepad as "Test" Then notepad is trying to read and load the dll from C:\Users\RealUser\AppData\Local\Temp\aimemb64.dll and access is rightfully denied!

So it basically just looks like the installation folder option isn't being respected for other users apps launched via runas for some reason or another in 8.13 and so the dll is never loaded.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 08/23/2018 18:04:40

Syrinx,

Could you first send us your AWM configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tool (AWM configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support). Change the "To..." address to uninstall@actualtools.com in the email and add a link to this topic to the email.

After doing this, go to the Options > General section of the configuration module, uncheck the "Run the library..." option, press Apply. Then check the option, press Apply again. Then restart the AWM control center (Tools > Control Center > Exit/Start Actual Window Manager) and see whether the problem is fixed.

Best regards.

Syrinx

Posted: 08/23/2018 19:18:51

I sent the settings used in my test VM in which I have reproduced the issue. I've reverted to 8.12.2 on my live system until things get resolved. As it happens with a clean install of 8.13, without changing a single setting - eg with the default settings - I doubt it really matters.

Amusingly after first installing, then toggling the option off and back on as suggested along with restarting AWM the dll is now properly being used from program files instead of copied to the wrong temp folder and blocked due to NTFS permissions.

That part is 'fixed' after the toggle. I can now see the dll getting loaded via Process Explorer even for programs started with runas. Sadly, the original issue with programs no longer showing up in the notification area with 8.13 (if they are started as another user) remains. =(

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 08/23/2018 20:05:12

Syrinx,

Amusingly after first installing, then toggling the option off and back on as suggested along with restarting AWM the dll is now properly being used from program files
The problem persists due to the changes in the latest version of AWM, and these actions is the easiest workaround to fix it. You can do this on any system.

Sadly, the original issue with programs no longer showing up in the notification area with 8.13 (if they are started as another user) remains.
Could you clarify this. There is no "Minimize > Via Close button click" option enabled in the settings for the the programs in your configuration. Do I understand correctly, that you're talking about the situation where you use the "AltMin" extra title button to minimize a window to tray, then the window disappears but there is no tray icon for this window?

Best regards.

Syrinx

Posted: 08/23/2018 21:51:00

The Notification area icons I'm talking about are the ones that are in the same tray area as the volume icon next to the clock.

The apps in question can use them natively and required no special options, keys or use of extra buttons via AWM. The only thing AWM did was somehow get them to show up regardless of if the program was ran as a different user.

I installed a virgin Windows 10 x64 1803 and the issue does not appear in that VM so I have begun to try and isolate which tweak or security policy might be causing the difference noted in 8.13 on my live system and other VM. I'll update you if I figure it out but for now it doesn't appear you'll be able to reproduce until I isolate something else as being invloved.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 08/24/2018 01:26:13

Syrinx,

I was also unable to reproduce the issue in Windows 10 1803 build 17134.228 not with Skype neither with Origin – as I can see, tray icons of these programs appear even if I start them as different user.

I've reverted to 8.12.2 on my live system until things get resolved.
Do the tray icons appear now when you reverted to 8.12.2?

Can this problem be associated with update of Windows 10? Maybe there was an update about the same time when you updated to AWM 8.13?

Best regards.

Syrinx

Posted: 08/24/2018 02:33:39

Thanks for bearing with me. I think I have finally narrowed it down to my strange setup.
In order to test this you'll likely need to be using at least a pro version of windows as some of the steps require gpedit.msc but it basically seems to involve High > Medium Integrity levels / UAC.

I'm the single *actual* user and only Admin on my machine so against all accepted security practices I run as the built in Admin. This is also why I run non system/security apps as separate, medium integrity users.

Steps to recreate what I'm seeing are as follows:
As an Admin run gpedit.msc
Navigate to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Local Policies > Security Options
Switch "Accounts: Administrator account status" to Enabled
Check that "User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account" is Disabled

Logout of current account then login as the built in "Administrator"

You should now be able to install AMW 8.12.2 along with running any program that makes use of notification area entries to test with then try the same with 8.13 to see the difference.

This is what I found:
Using a standard setup, eg if I were to be running under the Administrator account with Admin Approval Mode set to Enabled (which I do NOT want to do) and use runas to launch a relevant program the notification entries show up as expected with or without AWM.

Using the Administrator account with Admin Approval Mode Disabled and using runas to launch a relevant program results in the notification entries not showing up.

Using the Administrator account with Admin Approval Mode Disabled and using runas to launch a relevant program with AWM 8.12.2 and prior results in the notification entries showing up. (This is what I miss!)

Using the Administrator account with Admin Approval Mode Disabled and using runas to launch a relevant program with AWM 8.13 results in the notification entries not showing up.

I sure hope I didn't miss any steps and eagerly await your feedback. Good luck!

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 08/29/2018 18:51:02

Syrinx,

Thank you for detailed description of your settings. We were able to reproduce the problem. The problem is associated with some changes in the version 8.13. Probably, we'll undo these changes and return this part back.

We'll post in this topic when the version with these changes removed is released.

Best regards.

Messages 1 - 10 of 12
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 2, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register