Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Help! After reinstalling Chrome, Actual Window Manager is ignoring it! , Cannot get Actual Window Manager to affect Chrome post reinstall! » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 10747

Jim

Posted: 08/17/2018 23:55:19

Help!  I was having problems with Chrome - so I had to reinstall it.   Chrome itself is working just fine now.  I'm running the absolute latest build of Chrome - Chrome Canary.  I always have.  I have multiple Window Rules for Chrome setup, for multiple chrome windows.  They've always worked great.

However, post reinstall of Chrome - Actual Window Manager (AWM) is completely ignoring Chrome!  

If I enable logging in AWM - Chrome never appears in the logging. It's as if AWM can't see it.  

I tried reinstalling AWM and enabling the option to allow it to affect system apps. I can confirm it now affects regedit.  I even rebooted my PC.  Still, won't affect Chrome.  I don't launch Chrome as Admin or anything goofy like that.  If I launch AWM as admin, doesn't help.

Default settings are enabled in AWM.  

I disabled ALL Exclusions in AWM, didn't help.  There are no Chrome exclusions anyways.

I deleted all my Chrome AWM rules, and made a new one - it's still ignoring Chrome entirely, never appears in logs.

I'm at my wits end, I can't figure out what on earth happened - why a simple uninstall/reinstall of Chrome would break AWM's ability to "See" it.  

Please let me know what I need to do to fix this!  I sent you my AWM config files via email.  Below is the contents of that email:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 (x64)
OS Version: 10.0.17134 Build 17134, station (x64)

Actual Tools Program Name: Actual Window Manager

Actual Tools Program Version: 8.12.2

Conflicting Program Name:  Chrome Canary

Conflicting Program Version: 70.0.3525.0

Actions Required to Reproduce the Problem: I cannot get Chrome Canary to be affected by Actual Window Manager post reinstall!  It is being ignored by Actual Window Manager!

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 08/20/2018 16:23:59

Hello, Jim

The problem has been confirmed. We'll try to fix it and will post in this topic when the problem is fixed.

It seems like Chrome Canary has some kind of sandboxing which limits processing of its windows by Actual Window Manager.

Best regards.

Jim

Posted: 08/21/2018 21:30:56

Strange, I wonder if they changed something recently in Canary to cause that?  It was working for me prior to reinstall of the same version.  Perhaps having it installed prior to that version, is what allowed it to work?

That said, the reason I reinstalled was that Canary was causing a Commit Charge memory leak in Windows - not a physical or virtual memory leak per se - but specifically commit charge would eventually hit it's predefined limit of 45 GB and Windows would start crashing / processes would error.  Killing Chrome would drop the commit charge back to normal, and then about 5 hours later I'd hit that limit again.  

Reinstalling Canary from scratch totally fixed this behaviour.  But now Actual can't affect it's Windows. I wonder if this is somehow related.

Jim

Posted: 08/25/2018 03:40:27

Just upgraded AWM to version 8.13 and this is fixed! Thank you! <3

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 08/27/2018 16:29:29

Jim,

I saw the Chrome Canary window was processed by Actual Window Manager 8.13 once, but next times I started Chrome Canary, it was't processed. I was unable to make it work any more.

Is the Chrome Canary window now processed every time you start Canary?

Best regards.

Jim

Posted: 08/28/2018 21:01:23

I saw the Chrome Canary window was processed by Actual Window Manager 8.13 once, but next times I started Chrome Canary, it was't processed. I was unable to make it work any more.

Is the Chrome Canary window now processed every time you start Canary?

Hmm, so far yes - I'm still not having this issue in 8.13.  I just updated Canary to the latest build, which caused it to close, and relaunch, and upon relaunch, AWM is still processing it's Windows.  

I then restarted my workstation, just to see if maybe all processes needed to be closed, to make this reoccur?  And even after reboot, AWM is still able to process Canary windows!

To me it looks like AWM 8.13 fixed this!

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register