Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Start Button on AMM sometimes does not work » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 12980

John Alexander

Posted: 07/23/2018 00:18:30

Windows 7 running AMM 8.12.2, two monitors.  When I do a fresh system reboot, the primary start button on my primary monitor (which is customized using Classic Shell 4.3.1) and also AMM start button on my secondary monitor both work just fine.  But after a few hours, sometimes the start button on the secondary monitor becomes unresponsive - you can see it, but when you click on it nothing happens.  So when this happens I have to use the start button on the primary monitor, or must reboot to get it working again.  Any thoughts? Thanks.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/23/2018 16:44:36

Hello, John

Could you try to find a pattern of actions/events which leads to the appearance of the problem?

Could you also send us your AMM configuration files using the Send to Tech Support tool (Configuration module > Tools > Configuration > Send to Tech Support). Change the "To..." address in the email to uninstall@actualtools.com.

Best regards.

John Alexander

Posted: 07/25/2018 07:41:43

It hasn't happened since I made my post, so I'll try to note what precipitates it if/when it happens again.

John Alexander

Posted: 08/23/2018 10:41:33

Okay it happened again, but I have no idea if anything precipitated it.  So now the 2nd monitor's start button is unresponsive.  One thing to note, the AMM icon in both the primary taskbar tray and the seoond monitor taskbar tray is now non-responsive.  That is, I can right click, left click, or double click on the tray icon and nothing happens.  Other than all that, AMM seems to be working, and I can right click on the second taskbar and get the normal options.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 08/27/2018 11:30:13

Hello, John

Could you when the problem happens next time, open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc), go to Processes tab, select the ActualMultipleMonitorsShellCenter64.exe and press "End Process". The process should be restarted automatically. See whether it solves the problem.

If it doesn't help, then open the AMM configuration module and go to Tools > Control Center section. Then restart the control center by clicking "Exit Actual Multiple Monitors" and then "Start Actual Multiple Monitors" in this section. See whether it solves the problem.

Let us know the results.

Best regards.

John Alexander

Posted: 08/27/2018 11:51:24

Thanks for the help Bogdan.  I will do the End Process procedure if/when it happens again.  Btw I cannot do the tools > control center procedure though because the AMM tray icon is unresponsive when this problem happens, so I cannot get in the AMM configuration module

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 08/27/2018 13:49:39

John,

You can open the configuration module from Start Menu – Start Menu > All Programs > Actual Multiple Monitors > Configuration. Or directly from the installation folder – C:\Program Files (x86)\Actual Multiple Monitors\ActualMultipleMonitorsConfig.exe

Best regards.

John Alexander

Posted: 09/25/2018 09:26:02

I just sent in my configuration files to the email address posted above.

I figured out the sequence of what is happening...

I use windows 7 with an aero theme.  A few times a day I need to use the 20-year old win98 program Lotus 1-2-3.  It works in windows 7, however when I start the program it seems to force win7 to change my theme to a non-aero theme.  Once I'm done and exit Lotus 1-2-3, win7 then automatically re-initializes my aero theme.  So a few times per day my theme is switching from aero to non-aero, then back again.  After this happens a couple times, the AMM tray icon becomes unresponsive.  The toolbars still look correct when this happens.  But my AMM-created mouse action of double clocking on the top bar of my maximized browser window, which normally causes the browser to switch to the other monitor, stops working.

So when it hung today I remembered this thread and did the End Process procedure discussed above, and now the AMM icon is responsive again and double clicking on the top of the browser once again causes it to correctly switch monitors.  So restarting AMM fixes the issue.   Thanks for any help.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 09/26/2018 08:28:09

Hello, John

Thank you for the information.

After this happens a couple times, the AMM tray icon becomes unresponsive.
Does the problem with the Start button on the secondary monitor (sometimes the start button on the secondary monitor becomes unresponsive) also appear when this happens?

So when it hung today I remembered this thread and did the End Process procedure discussed above
Do you mean you've ended the ActualMultipleMonitorsShellCenter64.exe process and not restarted the control center via the configuration module?

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 2, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register