Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «[FIXED] Other Monitor Taskbar Tray and AVG popups not hiding after mouse hove over , avg mouse hoveover mouse hove over taskbar second monitor » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 17330

Angry Kitty

Posted: 06/13/2018 18:37:42

Windows 10 release 1803, 18.03

Product: AVG antivirus

I like the taskbar provided by Actual Multiple Monitors. It does have a mirror of the Tray Icon section. Currently only 1 program I use prevents me fr om using the in Actual Multiple Monitors build in second monitor taskbar. Its main feature is that it has the Tray Icon section too, just like the primary monitor.

I hope the included image is visible.

As you can see when hovering over a program called AVG, multiple Tray Icon Windows feedback messages keep popping up. These windows cannot be closed with for example ALT-F4 which would normally close a window.

Workaround, living with Windows 10 multiple taskbars, ( works, but that is it. )

I was able to move the AVG Icon to left topmost of primary monitor which does not have this problem, but AVG by Windows 10 itself likes to have a random location in the Tray Icon popup window.

The workaround was not to mouse over at the avg icon on my secondary monitor.

Technically,

1 The AVG registers its icon with Explorer.exe
2 Included are messages like when mouse over, show window
3 This works on primary monitor
4 I am not sure if it is AVG antivirus or windows 10, or mirroring
5 I know to not mouse over at a secondary monitor, but Icons in the Tray Icon Area seem to arrange themselves.
6 I would like to understand why, why can I not close such a popup on a mirrored second monitor popup Window with ALT-F4
7 Windows 10 does not provide a second tray icon bar at all, that is wh ere Actual Multiple Monitors Tools comes in.
8 Because of these unknown effects, I would like Actual Tools to remember what the second mirror taskbar was, like pinned items, since after re-enabling the Windows 10 multiple taskbars ( without the mirror tray icons ) is what I do not want.
9 I do not understand why a single application gets a message SendWindowMessage(....) with mouse cursor location for popup window, to display again, and again. It could be AVG, but Windows 10 itself.

If the posted image is visible, those windows popup and are unable to be closed, even terminating explorer.exe or actual multiple or avg does not work, with mention that I cannot terminate AVG at all, since it is an antivirus.

I think AVG antivirus only respects primary monitor, but I am not sure. Even then, those people at AVG are smart enough to think about people with a random monitor chosen as primary or secondary, however Windows 10 does not have a secondary Tray Icon taskbar feature at all, so at AVG they might have never seen such a thing at all.

Could consider another antivirus program, since Windows Defender has no problem, however Windows Defender is not really known to be a real alternative. Alternatives I do not test.

Currently: I live with the fact I would like this not to happen, and live with Windows 10 not having a Tray Icon Item secontion at the second monitor at all.

Having Technology Anger Management therapy since Microsoft Windows 95

Angry Kitty

Posted: 06/14/2018 20:26:53

I have studied the situation. It's a feature of Actual Multiple Monitor Tools, and a bug in AVG antivirus.

The standard system tray from Microsoft only sends a single message at a 'Mouse Hoover' over a Tray Icon in the Microsoft standard trayicon section.

However, Actual Multiple Monitor does actually how Microsoft should have designed it long ago, but did not.

Microsoft and the System Tray Icons:
On mouse hoover over an Icon, it sends only 1 single mouse move message to a program that registered itself in system tray

Actual Multiple Monitor Tools:
On mouse hoover over an Icon, it sends every few seconds 1 single mouse move message, which is what Microsoft should have designed it actually.

Workaround, at a mouse hover over the AVG Antivirus Tray Icon in the primary monitor, standard Microsoft rules are followed, which is to only send 1 mouse hover message

Actual tools: It sends mouse hover messages every few seconds, which AVG antivirus doesn't has been designed too, since it assumes the Microsoft way. Side-effect is after a single mouse over in actual tools, the AVG window does really hide, the problem comes as Actual Multiple Window Tools wants to send another message to AVG with another mouse hoover upd ate. This is why shortly hoover over a tray icon from AVG only shows the AVG antivirus balloon message.

In my opinion, Microsoft cannot do what Actual Multiple Montitor Tools does. Microsoft in the Windows XP era designed it to be 1 single mouse over message to the software that registered in the Tray Icon section.

AVG is too to blame. Why would an antivirus product keep poping up Windows that cannot be closed, after a single mouse over message from a taskbar ?

Conclusion, it is how long ago Microsoft designed the System Tray Icon area. It was been a single mouse over did only a single callback message.

In other software this means, like a program that updates it's Icon Tray Balloon message, that Actual Multiple Monitor Tools really does show the every few seconds updated notification. ( Like software that in Actual Tools System Tray does show the recently popup balloon message every few seconds, while Microsoft only stays at the single 1 first message at Mouse Over)

The only workaround is to either

* Ask AVG ( AVAST ) to respect updating balloon message, which is not by design of Microsoft long ago.
* Ask Actual Multiple Monitor Tools to 'at a shadowed system tray Icon Noticifaction Area, only have a user to allow a time out period before another mouse over message is send.

It's how Microsoft designed it long ago, it's Actual Multiple Monitor Tools keeps sending Mouse Over messages to System Tray registered software Icons, despite it is better than Microsoft intentions, long ago.

Workaround, hover only a second or less over AVG System Tray Icon until the AVG antivirus popup is closed, or Actual Multiple Monitor Tools to allow a value of which it will send another mouse hover Icon message towards a system tray icon.

Conclusion: It is how Microsoft designed the system tray, AVG just happened to be a product that at every interval a mouse over icon tray item message is received to popup a message, but Actual Multiple Monitor Tools keeps sending messages, while Microsoft does not. With result that products respecting an old Microsoft philiosphy popup multiple windows like described.

Advantage: Actual Multiple Monitors, does show realtime updated balloons, but Microsoft does not. Hovering an upload Icon tray Item in Actual Multple Monitors shows for example every few seconds the new updated value, But Microsoft Tray Icon Area does only show the first.

In Microsoft Tray Item section, only a single mouse hover is respected, Actual Multiple Monitor Tools continues to update it every few seconds.

Program workaround, a section in a system tray 'emulation' area that allows AVG Antivirus to hide it Window ( like 4 seconds ) before resending another mouse over in the system icon tray area.

AVG Antivirus is currently the only product that does not like an update of continually being updated at a mouse over like Actual Multiple Monitors does. AVG is designed to receive a single mouse over message, then closes its own popup message.

So it's all 3, Microsoft its design long ago, AVG Antivirus, and the Actual Multiple Monitor Tools software that sends mouse over messages before software like AVG is designed to handle.

Those AVG window popup windows are always TOPMOST, cannot be closed, have no time out, but they follow the Microsoft design,

Actual Multiple Monitors does send feedback messages before the 4 seconds that AVG needs to hide its first popup, so staying at its AVG Antivirus Icon with every message after the first one was allowed 4 seconds forces AVG Antivirus to keep popping up balloon Windows. ( Wich continue to exist until reboot or logout. )

I wish to have an option that at mouse over in the system tray icon area that is totally done by Actual Multiple Monitor Tools, to se t it at least at an 5 or 6 second interval, it's how Microsoft designed it to be only a single 1 message, but AVG is ok with only less than 5 or 6 seconds.

End: The problem is known, it is how Microsoft designed it, Actual Multiple Monitor Tools system tray icons do continue updating far faster than a single mouse over message as Microsoft its design long ago.

It really is a feature, and I can only hover very short over the AVG system tray Icon in the taskbar that Actual Multiple Monitors is. It is not an error, it is a feature.

Microsoft
AVG
ACtual Multiple Monitor Tools

All 3 of them are involved. But we know the design of the system tray by Microsoft is now 23 years old.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/14/2018 22:51:22

Hello, Angry Kitty

The problem has been confirmed. We'll try to fix it.

Thank you for reporting the problem and for your own research, although your messages could have been shorter: you've repeated some of the points several times.

Best regards.

Angry Kitty

Posted: 06/18/2018 21:09:47

Ok. I understand.  :oops:

Programmatically I would like to think about what options there are.

1 Being the systray Microsoft exact
2 Identify specially above Administrator privelage processes, and only respect point mentioned at 1 for those processes.
3 Normal processes can be controlled easily to terminate or restart, even when they are at normal Administrator level.
4 mentioned at point 1 would mean an important feature is no longer, but point 1 would mean around 48 hours of programmers work.
5 See point 2, that might be the best, since escallation behind Administrator level processes cannot be controlled at all, even when being Administrator itself.
6 I do not know in what ring such excesively above Administrator level software products, currently certainly Antivirus products actually runs. Like how much in Kernel land it actually rules?
7 These are important decisions you have to discuss with your development team.
8 Point 1 would be an easy programmatically solution, but I do not think it is what people really wanted.

And yes, the previous message describes the same phenomen, but these messages are observations over several days.

Point taken, number 1 would be what would work immediately and programmatically would only mean disable a code path in your product.

Number 2 is the option I would suggest.

Thank you for your understanding. See point 3, to not repeat myself, like you explained I can rewrite the same message in different words many times.

I would like people to also understand that maintaining your product does explain why people get a yearly update right for a specific amount spent buying the product, since Windows became a rolling release, it is a continuous project you are working on. And Windows 10 especially changes a lot everytime Microsoft changes something.

:D

Angry Kitty

Posted: 08/30/2018 21:06:59

AVG and AVAST are currently almost having the same Antivirus code base. I really wish I could point to an icon that does not receive multiple messages every seconds in the system tray icon area. Another option would be that I could decide that a message is only send after say 10 seconds or so. That way, a privileged Antivirus behind User or Admin control managed Window I can easily bypass by not staying 10 seconds in example at its Icon in the Icon Tray Area.

Mitigation, I placed Antivirus Tray Notification Area Icon in topmost left, by which I only access it from Primary Monitor. At second monitor with the Actual Multiple Monitor Tools created shadow Systray Icon Area, I hover it not, or only very short.

Remember this is mitigation. Don't know what to do. But it is easy to mitigate. I just do not hover on any other monitor than primary regarding AVAST and AVG antivirus.

Changed from AVG to AVAST, but they are actually the same. Hovering a short time before you send another callback systray item message prevents it to show an unclosable Window.

In my opinion, software cannot be perfect. It' s ok. But many people would not understand to mitigate I suppose.

Problem existing: Since 8.12 and 8.13 currently, mitigation as described. It' s OK.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 08/31/2018 14:31:13

Angry Kitty,

Thank you for additional information.

We haven't managed to fixed this yet.

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 09/27/2018 08:52:47

Hello, Angry Kitty

As you can see when hovering over a program called AVG, multiple Tray Icon Windows feedback messages keep popping up.
I'm glad to notify you that the subject issue has been fixed in the latest version of Actual Multiple Monitors 8.13.1 and our other products as well.

Best regards.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register