New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 21
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Hotkey to tell a window to ignore transparency on inactivity , What hotkey do I use to tell a window to NOT go transparent when inactive? » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 73548

Jim

Posted: 03/21/2018 03:15:30

Hey folks, AWM user here, for many, many years!  I've got a default window rule for all windows to go 60% transparent when inactive, with a 5 second delay. Works great.

But sometimes, I don't want a window to go transparent, even if I'm not interacting with it - such as watching a video, reading an article while working on a different window, etc.

What hotkey can I use / press to tell that window "hey - don't go transparent" even if it goes inactive?  I looked through hotkeys, and I can't seem to find one that accomplishes this.

If this doesn't currently exist, I would love a workaround, otherwise, please consider this a feature request.

Thank you in advance.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/22/2018 15:35:01

Hello, Jim

What hotkey can I use / press to tell that window "hey - don't go transparent" even if it goes inactive?
Unfortunately, there is no ability to make window ignore transparency settings separately. But you can use the "Ignore Deactivation" hotkey (default combination is Ctrl+Shift+Alt+I). This will make window "think" it's still active and the transparency settings won't be applied to the window.

Best regards.

Jim

Posted: 03/22/2018 21:55:25

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Hello, Jim

What hotkey can I use / press to tell that window "hey - don't go transparent" even if it goes inactive?
Unfortunately, there is no ability to make window ignore transparency settings separately. But you can use the "Ignore Deactivation" hotkey (default combination is Ctrl+Shift+Alt+I). This will make window "think" it's still active and the transparency settings won't be applied to the window.

Best regards.

Hi @Bogdan Polishchuk, thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately I tried the "ignore deactivation" hotkey, and found a problem with it, which led to this post as I was hoping maybe there was a different way to do this.  Maybe this is a bug?

What I noticed is this.  Say I'm using Chrome, and I've got multiple chrome windows open, with multiple tabs in each (as I always do at work).  

On one of the chrome Windows, I hit Ctrl+Shift+Alt+I - to ignore deactivation, and not go transparent.  It works as desired, in that, the chrome window I used it on, doesn't go inactive.   And that Window continues to work as expected.

However, all of the OTHER Chrome windows, start acting weirdly.  For instance, I can't click on links on pages in the other windows - they don't do anything.  Worse, clicking other tabs, on the other windows, doesn't change tabs.  It's like those other windows are ignoring any "clicks" made on them.

The original window, continues to work as expected. But all other Chrome windows, malfunction like this.

As soon as I press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+I again, the other Chrome windows begin working normally again.

Jim

Posted: 03/27/2018 23:16:07

Hey Bogdan - should I submit a bug report regarding the last post? Or message someone?

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/28/2018 00:45:56

Jim,

should I submit a bug report regarding the last post?
No, you don't need to do this. I was going to inform you that we've confirmed this problem, there is definitely a bug. We'll try to fix it and will post in this topic when it's fixed.

Best regards.

Jim

Posted: 05/13/2018 04:44:55

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Jim,

should I submit a bug report regarding the last post?
No, you don't need to do this. I was going to inform you that we've confirmed this problem, there is definitely a bug. We'll try to fix it and will post in this topic when it's fixed.

Best regards.

Any updates here?  Do you have a beta version that has this fixed that I could try?  It's a big issue for me, keep having to Pause Actual to get around this. I'm running the latest production version.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 05/15/2018 18:10:15

Jim,

Any updates here?
Unfortunately, we haven't managed to solve this problem yet.

Best regards.

Jim

Posted: 06/07/2018 23:17:09

Howdy.  As a stop gap, until this bug is fixed, a "quick" fix that would really help me out here, would be if you could create a new hotkey that:

Disables/Enables the "Transparency -> While Inactive" checkbox, that's under Window Settings->Default Settings.

If I had such a hotkey, that just simply turned off transparency for all windows, it would be a quick/dirty fix for when I encounter this issue.  Right now - I'm right clicking the tray icon and pausing Actual Window Manager as a workaround instead, which as you can imagine is less than ideal as I lose all other window settings/tweaks as a result.

Ideally It would be better to do this per window, but due to this bug, I understand that's not possible.  So the above quick/dirty solution would be OK with me for now.

I appreciate your consideration of this in advance!

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/08/2018 16:56:24

Hello, Jim

Have you considered using the While mouse-hovering automatic transparency option? If you set it to 0, you can make a window opaque temporarily just by hovering the mouse pointer over it. Does this suit your needs?

We can add the ability to disable the automatic transparency feature for a window in the near time, although not via the hotkey, but via the window menu item. Is this acceptable for you?

Best regards.

Jim

Posted: 06/09/2018 00:23:18

Have you considered using the While mouse-hovering automatic transparency option? If you set it to 0, you can make a window opaque temporarily just by hovering the mouse pointer over it. Does this suit your needs?

Hey Bogdan, thanks for the reply. I'm afraid the "while hover" option doesn't work for me, because the issue in this instance is typically when i'm copying/reading information off one monitor, and typing into a different window on a different monitor.  So the window that I'm not active in, and don't have mouse in, is the one that I need to have stay active.  

We can add the ability to disable the automatic transparency feature for a window in the near time, although not via the hotkey, but via the window menu item. Is this acceptable for you?

This would be great!  A hotkey is ideal, but this would still be much better than what I have to do now to work around this.  Thanks so much!

Messages 1 - 10 of 21
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register