New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 11 - 20 of 27
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 | Next | Last 

Topic: «When using AMM programs lag when starting » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 86698

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 02/04/2018 20:20:52

Hello gentlemen,

Steve, there was a fix in the beta 1 of our products:
Windows 10 Fall Creators Update: CPU consumption by Actual Taskbar increased unwantedly if monitors had different DPI resolutions.

Unfortunately, we have beta versions of Actual Window Manager and Actual Multiple Monitors only. Could you please install the current 8.12 beta 2 version of Actual Window Manager (download link - https://www.actualtools.com/files/aim8120b2.exe ) and check whether the issue persists or not (with Actual Window Rollup unloaded)?

Dale, please specify your hardware configuration (I'm interested in your CPU most of all). Could you also open Windows Task Manager before the problem has appeared, launch a program and check which processes consume most of CPU and memory?

Petr, please specify your hardware configuration and which our product you are running (name, version).

steve

Posted: 02/08/2018 23:19:19

Just installed aim8120b2.exe and the startup lag is less than half a second so all fixed. Eagerly  awaiting AWR812. THANKS

Per Turner

Posted: 02/09/2018 14:22:08

Having the same problem as Petr.

Whenever i start some GUI applications (cmd and powershell do not cause this, neither does directory opus) the mouse lags for as long as the application is starting up.

I have the same behavior when running a full screen game and alt-tabbing or exiting the game out to Windows.

I have the same behavior on my work laptop when running the simulator for our machines, this only happens the first time i try to start the simulator, the second time around it works just fine without any slow downs.

It occurred to me that the applications causing the slow down all use hardware acceleration.

The hardware on both machines are not that similar except that they both use AMD graphics cards.
They are both workstations with plenty of RAM and CPU to use.

I am running the latest beta for Actual Window Manager on both machines (8.12 beta 2)

Michal Minář

Posted: 02/17/2018 22:19:53

I'm also experiencing mouse lags when just moving the mouse, dragging window, etc. I don't see high CPU load but the system feels slugish.

I have three monitors with different DPIs with resolutions 1080p, WUXGA and 4K. The lagging stops when I either:
- turn 4k display off
- have only 4k display on (others off)
- stop Actual Window Manager

I've experienced it with both 8.12beta2 and stable 8.11.3.

System:
- Windows 8.1 Pro 64bits
- 32GB RAM, Intel Core i7-6820HQ
- NVIDIA Quadro M1000M

Is there maybe a work-around/tweak I could use to get rid of the lags?
Otherwise this is a show-stopper for me.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/22/2018 14:04:03

Hello, gentlemen

Per,

Could you open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc combination), before the problem happens, switch to Details tab and sort the processes by CPU (descending). Then reproduce the problem and see what processes have the greatest values of the CPU parameter when lag happens. Then do the same, but with the Performance tab of the Task Manager and see the common CPU and memory usage values in the system when the problem happens.

I have the same behavior on my work laptop when running the simulator for our machines,
Could you clarify what is the simulator that you're running?

Could you provide more exact specifications of your computers (CPU, graphic card, memory)?

What OS are you running on your computers (version, 32- or 64-bit)?

In some cases the performance problems in the system with Actual Tools products running can be associated with use of multi-core processors. We haven't managed yet to figure out what exactly causes this problem.
Could you check whether in your case the problem is associated with the number of cores of the processor? In order to do this, you need to download the AffinityMaskAIM.reg file, execute it and restart Actual Window Manager. If the problem is associated, then it should disappear when the .reg file is executed.
Although this .reg file can be used as workaround, main purpose of executing it is to check whether the performance problems on particular computer is associated with use of a multi-core processor. When the test is done, the registy settings can be easily restored by executing other .reg file - AffinityMaskAIM_Delete.reg.
Executing of the first file limits the number of available logical processors to four (it is called affinity settings) for our product and for Windows explorer and, as a result, for many other programs too, which in fact makes all other logical processors useless, as they're not involved in executing of the most of the programs. In case of resource-intensive programs this can lead to slowing down of the system.
But the affinity settings can be adjusted specially for particular programs in your system via specific settings of the Actual Tools product or in the Task Manager > Details tab (or Processes tab in Windows 7). So, if you want to use this .reg file as workaround, but you have the slow down problem associated with resource-intensive programs, you can adjust the affinity settings specially for particular programs to engage more logical processors in executing them. Let us know if you need more detailed instructions of how to do this.

Michal,

Your problem doesn't look the same as anyone's in this topic, although it is also a performance problem.

Could you install this special version of Actual Window Manager with part of functions disabled, then disable the notification area on all AWM taskbars (taskbar context menu > Taskbar Parts > Show the notification area) and see whether the problem persists.

Best regards.

Michal Minář

Posted: 02/24/2018 13:43:15

Could you install this special version of Actual Window Manager with part of functions disabled, then disable the notification area on all AWM taskbars (taskbar context menu > Taskbar Parts > Show the notification area) and see whether the problem persists.

Thank you Bogdan for the hints,

unfortunately, the problem persists. Note that I managed to hide the notification area only on secondary displays. There's no Taskbar Parts submenu on the taskbar of primary display.
I'm happy to try out any other suggestion.

Regards.

Per Turner

Posted: 02/24/2018 17:40:25

I tried the fix on my work computer and I'm afraid it didn't change anything.

The simulator is a simulation of the control system for the machines I work on. It is a quite performance demanding simulation atleast at startup since it spawns multiple processes where each process has a console window and some of those processes have a GUI attached which uses Qt.

I tried to get some readings from task manager when the problem happens but everything just freezes and task manager stops updating until after a minute or so when the problem disappears.

I noticed now that the problem only appears the first time i start the simulator. Everything locks up and when the computer is usable again the simulator needs to be restarted. On consecutive tries the problem has vanished and everything works fine but if I restart the computer then the problem reappears.

The same lockup happens whenever Actual Window Manager is started independent of the simulator running or not.

Home computer:
i7-3930k
32 GB RAM
Radeon R9 290X graphics
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit fully updated

Work computer:
i7-6920HQ
64 GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 530 / AMD FirePro W5170M
Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit (Probably not the latest fall update, unsure)

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/15/2018 05:16:16

Hello, gentlemen

Per,

Do you mind installing custom build of Actual Window Manager (probably, several custom builds), which could help us to figure out what causes the problem?

Michal,

I'll provide you other suggestions a little bit later.

Best regards.

Per Turner

Posted: 03/16/2018 03:24:29

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Hello, gentlemen

Per,

Do you mind installing custom build of Actual Window Manager (probably, several custom builds), which could help us to figure out what causes the problem?

No problem, I'd be glad to help.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/17/2018 04:28:56

Per,

I've sent you a link to the custom build of AWM via private message. Could you install it and see whether the problem persists with this build?

Best regards.

Messages 11 - 20 of 27
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register