New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 21 - 30 of 31
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 4 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Massive CPU usage after installation of Windows 10 Fall Update » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 140971

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 02/22/2018 18:10:08

Hello, gentlemen

Vasily wrote:
1. Run the AffinityMaskAIM.reg file (download link - https://www.actualtools.com/hfiles/hidden/AffinityMaskAIM.reg );
2. Restart Actual Window Manager and check whether the issue persists or not.

Although this .reg file can be used as workaround, main purpose of executing it is to check whether the performance problems on particular computer is associated with use of a multi-core processor. When the test is done, the registy settings can be easily restored by executing other .reg file - AffinityMaskAIM_Delete.reg (AffinityMaskAMM_Delete.reg for AMM).
In fact executing of the first file limits the number of available logical processors to four (it is called affinity settings) for our product and for Windows explorer and, as a result, for many other programs too, which in fact makes all other logical processors useless, as they're not involved in executing of the most of the programs. In case of resource-intensive programs this can lead to slowing down of the system.
But the affinity settings can be adjusted specially for particular programs in your system via specific settings of the Actual Tools product or in the Task Manager > Details tab (or Processes tab in Windows 7). So, if you want to use this .reg file as workaround, but you have the slow down problem associated with resource-intensive programs, you can adjust the affinity settings specially for particular programs to engage more logical processors in executing them. Let us know if you need more detailed instructions of how to do this.

Maximilian,

Do I have to keep a copy of this file or will it be implemented in the next version of actual window manager?
As I wrote above, the .reg file sets the affinity for our product and for Windows explorer and although it can be used as workaround, main purpose of executing it is to check whether the problem is associated with use of a multi-core processor. Thus, this solution won't be added to the installation files of next versions. But we hope we'll be able to figure out what exactly causes the problem and fix it.

I will deactivate actual window manager for now until it is stable again under windows 10.
Has the uninstalling of AWM helped?
If you're not going to use Actual Window Manager until the problem is solved, then you should restore the registry settings you had before executing the AffinityMaskAIM.reg. Download and execute other .reg file - AffinityMaskAIM_Delete.reg.
But it would be helpful if you could provide some additional information before uninstalling AWM and restoring the registry settings:

I realized some system freezing too but I'm not sure how to reproduce it. Sometimes my mouse is so slow I have problems to hit a button
Could you temporarily install AWM again, open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc combination) before the problem happens, switch to Details tab and sort the processes by CPU (descending). Then when the problem appears see what processes have the greatest values of the CPU parameter when lag happens. Then do the same, but with the Performance tab of the Task Manager and see the common CPU and memory usage values in the system when the problem happens.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/04/2018 13:18:19

Hello, gentlemen

I've sent a link to the test build to Markus, Peter, Louka, Glenn and Maximilian via private message. Could you install this version and see whether the problem persists?

Best regards.

Ant

Posted: 06/05/2018 17:31:03

Maximilian Laska wrote:
Okay after testing actual window manager a little bit more after I tried the AffinityMaskAIM.reg fix, I can say that it helped quite a lot but it feels a lot slower than it should be. Hovering over items in the windows explorer is much slower when actual window manager is active. I realized some system freezing too but I'm not sure how to reproduce it. Sometimes my mouse is so slow I have problems to hit a button.I will deactivate actual window manager for now until it is stable again under windows 10.

Same problem here.  System is sluggish but the main problem is Windows Explorer.  It's slow when hovering over items and is slow to change directories or select a file.

I'm running the latest version of AIM on Windows x64 build 1709, 32gb ram, Intel 5820k 6 core processor.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/06/2018 15:02:04

Hello, Ant

I've sent you a link to the custom build via private message. Could you install it and see whether it solves the problem?

Same problem here.
Do you mean you've tried to apply the AffinityMaskAIM.reg file?

Could you also decribe the problem you have as detailed as possible. Does it persist all the time when AWM is running or only sometimes? At what moments it persists?

Do you use the Tabbed Explorer feature of Actual Window Manager (AWM configuration module > Files and Folders > Tabbed Explorer > Group Explorer windows...)? Does disabling it influence the problem?

Best regards.

Ant

Posted: 06/06/2018 16:12:57

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Hello, Ant

I've sent you a link to the custom build via private message. Could you install it and see whether it solves the problem?

Same problem here.
Do you mean you've tried to apply the AffinityMaskAIM.reg file?

Could you also decribe the problem you have as detailed as possible. Does it persist all the time when AWM is running or only sometimes? At what moments it persists?

Do you use the Tabbed Explorer feature of Actual Window Manager (AWM configuration module > Files and Folders > Tabbed Explorer > Group Explorer windows...)? Does disabling it influence the problem?

Best regards.

Hi Bogdan,

Yes, I tried the .reg file and I didn't notice a difference.  The problem persists only when AWM is running, and occurs all the time.  I don't use the Tabbed Explorer feature.  I have tried disabling all the features including the "Default Settings" check box under the "Window Settings" tab.  Nothing seems to help.

I'll try the custom build and get back to you, and also include a better description of the problem.

Best regards,

Ant

UPDATE:  Well, it's weird.  At first it seemed as though the problem was worse (Windows Explorer is very slow to react to all mouse over and mouse click actions.  Tool tips take a long time to display and icons take a long time to highlight when I mouse over them.  Same problem when clicking anything), and then it seemed to be gone, and now it appears to come and go (for 3 seconds it's fine, then there's 1 second of lag etc).  So I guess it is an improvement!  I uninstalled the .reg file before the update, if that matters, I don't know.

P.S:  I use Bitdefender and the firewall portion of Comodo.  I know those problems can be a pain.

Another thing, and I don't if it's normal or not, but when I start AWM there is a lot of mouse and screen lag.  Using Procmon, I can see my open programs reading reg keys for resolution and placement etc.  This part really slows down my PC.  I'm not sure if it's related or not.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/07/2018 16:58:24

Ant,

Windows Explorer is very slow to react to all mouse over and mouse click actions.  Tool tips take a long time to display and icons take a long time to highlight when I mouse over them.  Same problem when clicking anything
Is this a complete description of the initial problem?

Does it happen with any other applications or it happens only with explorer?

Same problem when clicking anything
Do you mean "when clicking in explorer" here?

Could you install the latest stable version, so that you could reproduce the issue. Then open Task Manager or Procmon, reproduce the issue and see what processes have the greates values of CPU and Memory parameters and also the common CPU and Memory usage in the system. Let us know the results.

Then try to temporarily disable the security software or enable the "Run the library from the installation folder" option (AWM configuration module > Options > General > Run the library from the installation folder) add the installation folder of Actual Window Manager (by default it's C:\Program Files (x86)\Actual Window Manager) to the exclusion lists of Bitdefender and the Comodo firewall.

Best regards.

Ant

Posted: 06/07/2018 18:26:18

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:

Same problem when clicking anything
Do you mean "when clicking in explorer" here?

Yes.

Then try to temporarily disable the security software or enable the "Run the library from the installation folder" option (AWM configuration module > Options > General > Run the library from the installation folder) add the installation folder of Actual Window Manager (by default it's C:\Program Files (x86)\Actual Window Manager) to the exclusion lists of Bitdefender and the Comodo firewall.

Best regards.

I'm already running the library from the installation folder, and have already excluded the folder in both programs.

Could you install the latest stable version, so that you could reproduce the issue. Then open Task Manager or Procmon, reproduce the issue and see what processes have the greates values of CPU and Memory parameters and also the common CPU and Memory usage in the system. Let us know the results.

Windows Explorer has highest CPU usage (1.5%) and about 58mb memory.  System total is about 12% CPU and 24% RAM.  

I just realised I've hijacked this thread, as my issue is not CPU related!  But some of the problems desscribed in this thread are the same problems I was having.  I stopped using AWM a while back because of the issues, so I'll have to get back to you on what they were as I've since forgotten.  One that I can remember was I had a lot of lag when I dragged windows around the screen (all programs, not just Windows Explorer).

I have 2 x 2560x1440 monitors running from an Nvidia Gtx 970.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/08/2018 14:56:51

Ant,

Windows Explorer has highest CPU usage (1.5%) and about 58mb memory.  System total is about 12% CPU and 24% RAM.
Is this when you're running the 8.12.2 version?

Could you temporarily close both Bitdefender and the Comodo firewall and see how the system works with AWM 8.12.2 started and without AWM started?

Best regards.

Ant

Posted: 06/14/2018 21:50:48

Bogdan Polishchuk wrote:
Ant,

Is this when you're running the 8.12.2 version?

Could you temporarily close both Bitdefender and the Comodo firewall and see how the system works with AWM 8.12.2 started and without AWM started?

Best regards.

No difference in task manager.  Visually, I couldn't notice a difference when I disabled Bitdefender, but I might have noticed a small difference when I disabled Comodo, it's hard to tell!  Might be placebo.  But I tried it multiple times (switching on and off) and thought there was a bit less stuttering with it off.  For what it's worth, I use a program called Metatrader 4, which is very old.  I then use AWM to rename different instances of Metatrader in the taskbar using the "Change caption" option + "Keep persistant".  AWM made Metatrader lag and stutter so much that I decided to stop using AWM.  But, it seems to be working better now, for whatever reason.  This is with 8.12.2.

Glenn Wilcox

Posted: 10/13/2018 01:09:45

Bogdan,
I am still having the issue with EXTREME SLOWNESS on my Surface Book 2 with AWM
The Surface Book 2 Laptop has 16 GB RAM, 1TB HDD with the latest version of Actual Window Manager (AWM) 8.13.1.
I am running this software on Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1803 (17134.345)
I had no real issues with the usage of AWM until the Fall Creators Update.
At which time I seemed to no longer be able to control the placement of Windows (System) Windows.  The rules that I had setup for this no longer worked, it was as if something internal with Windows had changed and any windows (system based UI windows like Control Panel, All Settings, etc.) would not work, but other program windows (e.g. Windows Explorer, Excel, Word, 3rd party programs) worked fine.
Additionally, the Windows System performance just lagged significantly enough where I had to stopped using the program. I continued to renew/support the license on it because it is a great program and it works fine on my Windows Server machine.
Yes, support has attempted to help me resolve the issue, with some .reg files (AffinityMaskAIM.reg) etc., but the end result is that when I initially start the program it works for a little bit but then becomes dog slow and I have to exit the program and which point my system responds in a normal fashion.
I would like to work with support in more detail to get it resolved as I had gotten use to the AWM features and it really has assisted me in being more productive as I use it a lot with windows placement and having apps side-by-side etc.

Kind Regards,
Glenn

Messages 21 - 30 of 31
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 4 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 4, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login