New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 21 - 29 of 29
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 | Next | Last 

Topic: «AMM - Change in Monitor Configuration Very Slow , Actual Multiple Monitors technical support request for issues with slowness when changing monitor configuration. » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 78834

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 09/12/2017 11:22:56

jhardyua,

Please also check the following lags:
1. Start your OS, load AMM and change the configuration;
2. Then open 15-20 instances of Notepad (AMM should be still loaded) and change the configuration.

jhardyua

Posted: 09/12/2017 20:06:56

Thank you for your help to this point. I have spent too much time troubleshooting. I do hope this issue gets resolved, but I will be unable to provide further information.

Martin Spierings

Posted: 09/19/2017 16:45:26

I'd like to pitch in that I also have this issue and on different hardware. A HP ZBook 15 G3 which has Nvidia Quadro M1000M and Intel chip. I have 3 monitors attached via Thunderbolt 3 docking station (though its also pretty slow on my gamepc but it doesn't stutter which is the biggest annoyance).

I just updated all drivers (even had to unlock bitlocker) and bios but I'm not sure if it will remain fixed. Still, connecting and disconnecting monitors makes it pretty slow. This is also something I notice on my PC where I use 1 monitor for gaming on consoles so I often switch 1 on and off for the pc. It takes about 20 seconds before it is completely done with initialization on removing or adding a monitor. Which is pretty long if I'm honest.

From AWM I mainly only use opening on monitor with mouse and the multi monitor taskbar. The rest is disabled and even tilebuttons are removed (so each window is displayed normally).

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 09/22/2017 02:10:15

Hello, Martin

We would be grateful if you could help us to track down this issue so that we could figure out what causes this and hopefully fix it.

Could you please perform the following test:
1. Check how long it takes when you change the monitors configuration while your Actual Tools product is running and there are no open windows in the system;
2. Then open 20-30 instances of Notepad (Actual Tools product is still running) and check how long it takes to change the monitors configuration in this case;

Let us know the results.

Chris Miller
Advanced user

Posted: 10/03/2017 18:29:53

Morning!

I've been out on vacation for a while.  I'm back!

It looks like this is still an issue, even on the latest version.  I'm going to try and do the steps above and report back on what I find.

Thanks!
Chris

Chris Miller
Advanced user

Posted: 10/03/2017 19:27:46

Ok, here are my results.

-Everything closed and making changes to the monitor configuration is quick.
-25 notepad.exe windows open and monitor configuration takes about 5 seconds longer to finish.  No other delays.

Here is my issue though.  Making changes in the monitor configuration itself has never presented an issue.  It was only when making changes to an application setting that I saw this huge delay and screen "reconfig".  I didn't understand why it was reconfiguring monitors settings when I wasn't making any changes to the monitor.

I have also noticed that when waking a computer from sleep and logging in that it takes quite some time reapplying settings to some applications.
-Outlook.exe (2016/office365) is unresponsive for 30-60 seconds.  I can click different messages, but only the "last" message is displayed.  Overall the application is unresponsive, but it seems to be more of a "redraw" issue.  This only happens with AWM enabled.

For what it's worth, all my testing right now is at work.

One more piece of information.  I'll have to see how this goes over the next day or so, but I think I "MIGHT" have resolved my problem.  I had my laptop monitor staggered in the monitor configuration to sit about half way down from my other two monitors (both left of).  As of this morning, I changed this so that all 3 monitors 1920x1080@60Hz are exactly even with each other horizontally.  Since doing this, I seem to have eliminated all my application issues.  At home I can't do this because I have 5 monitors and the top 2 will always be staggered from the bottom 3, and the sizes and refresh rates are all different.

Chris

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 10/05/2017 02:35:43

Hello, Chris

But in your first message in this topic you wrote:
Any time a game changes the desktop refresh rate/resolution of a monitor, I have the OP's issue.
Does this problem still persist?

As of this morning, I changed this so that all 3 monitors 1920x1080@60Hz are exactly even with each other horizontally.  Since doing this, I seem to have eliminated all my application issues.
Did you do this when the latest version 8.11.2 was installed already? Could you place the monitors the way they were placed before and see whether the problem persists with the latest version 8.11.2?

I have also noticed that when waking a computer from sleep and logging in that it takes quite some time reapplying settings to some applications. Outlook.exe (2016/office365) is unresponsive for 30-60 seconds.
Several users of our products have the same or similar problems, but we have never managed to reproduce it or find a reason why this happens yet.

Could you check whether the problem happens in the following situations:
1) reset the computer, launch AWM and the application you have the problem with (Outlook) and right after that put the system in the sleep mode for short time, then log in;
2) reset the computer, launch AWM and the application you have the problem with (Outlook), keep the system awake for several hours (for a day if it's possible), then put the system in the sleep mode for short time, then log in;
3) reset the computer, launch AWM and the application you have the problem with (Outlook) and right after that put the system in the sleep mode for several hours, then log in;

Could you also when the issue with Outlook appears go to the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) > Processes tab (or Details tab in Windows 8 and 10) and end the dwm.exe process and see whether the issue stops immediately.

Could you also write your computer specifications?

Best regards.

Chris Miller
Advanced user

Posted: 10/05/2017 18:46:53

But in your first message in this topic you wrote:
Any time a game changes the desktop refresh rate/resolution of a monitor, I have the OP's issue.
Does this problem still persist?

Yes, though I have had very little time to play games on my home system to research that issue any further further.  I'm focusing most of my attention to my work PC at this time.

As of this morning, I changed this so that all 3 monitors 1920x1080@60Hz are exactly even with each other horizontally.  Since doing this, I seem to have eliminated all my application issues.
Did you do this when the latest version 8.11.2 was installed already? Could you place the monitors the way they were placed before and see whether the problem persists with the latest version 8.11.2?

I did this after installing 8.11.2, reinstalled 8.11.1, changed monitors around, same result.

I have also noticed that when waking a computer from sleep and logging in that it takes quite some time reapplying settings to some applications. Outlook.exe (2016/office365) is unresponsive for 30-60 seconds.
Several users of our products have the same or similar problems, but we have never managed to reproduce it or find a reason why this happens yet.

Could you check whether the problem happens in the following situations:
1) reset the computer, launch AWM and the application you have the problem with (Outlook) and right after that put the system in the sleep mode for short time, then log in;
2) reset the computer, launch AWM and the application you have the problem with (Outlook), keep the system awake for several hours (for a day if it's possible), then put the system in the sleep mode for short time, then log in;
3) reset the computer, launch AWM and the application you have the problem with (Outlook) and right after that put the system in the sleep mode for several hours, then log in;

Could you also when the issue with Outlook appears go to the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) > Processes tab (or Details tab in Windows 8 and 10) and end the dwm.exe process and see whether the issue stops immediately.

Could you also write your computer specifications?

Best regards.

So, some more information on this.  First, I need to correct some of my wording.  The computer doesn't "go to sleep", rather the monitors go to sleep.  I have a bug in my system hardware that causes the machine to power off if it's told to goto sleep.  I do however have a similar problem with Microsoft Lync/Skype for Business.  In this case, Skype locks up when unlocking the PC and it never recovers, even without the monitors ever going to sleep.  I have to Exit the app and reopen.

I'll try to do the troubleshooting steps the best I can with monitors going to sleep.  So far, since changing the monitors to all be equal horizontally and not staggered, I have not had the issue with Outlook when unlocking the PC.  I'll have to try staggering the monitors with and without AWM to see if I can replicate the problem again.

Chris

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 10/05/2017 19:17:03

Chris,

I did this after installing 8.11.2, reinstalled 8.11.1, changed monitors around, same result.
Actually, i needed you to see whether the problem persists with version 8.11.2 and your previous monitor layout ("I had my laptop monitor staggered in the monitor configuration to sit about half way down from my other two monitors (both left of)"). Please check this.
If the problem persists, could you also install 8.11.1 and place the monitors in accordance with your current layout ("all 3 monitors 1920x1080@60Hz are exactly even with each other horizontally") and see whether the problem appears in this case.

As for the problem with unlocking the PC, I'll be waiting the results of your testing.

Could you also clarify, do you lock the system or it's just monitors are turned off automatically? Do I understand right, that you see the login screen when waking up your displays?

Messages 21 - 29 of 29
First | Prev. | 1 2 3 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register