Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «New User - Lots of Questions , Currently using trial version and wondering what else I can do » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 34946

Gina W

Posted: 07/10/2017 21:56:22

Hello there.

I discovered Actual Virtual Desktops a few days ago and wanted to see if it could solve a few issues I was having with Windows 10 virtual desktops and Dexpot. So far, I'm liking this program, but as I'm still new to it, I'm a little confused on configuring to what I want or if I need to use the full suite program. Here's a little background and what I want to do -

I work fr om home, so I currently have a two virtual desktop setup - one personal, one work. There are several applications that I use across both (Chrome, Firefox, Word, OneNote), but some that I may use only for one desktop (for instance, work I would only use Outlook, Filezilla, and Notepad++).

I have two 24inch monitors and at some point, I've been thinking of adding a third, so obviously I would need a program that works with up to 4 or more monitors. I'm also using Display Fusion due to W10 limited multiple monitor support. Obviously, I'm using the 64-bit version of Windows 10. This is what I'd like to do, so my questions are -

• How do I do this in Actual Virtual Desktop?
  • Do I Need to use the full suite of Acutal Tools to meet these needs?

What I want:

• For my work desktop, I want to just have programs pinned to the desktop that are related without seeing them on my personal desktop. For example, I want to pin Outlook and Filezilla to just the work virtual desktop, but not have them on my personal desktop.
  • When first turning on my computer (if I've turned it off completely), I'm finding that the work virutal desktop (WVD) doesn't save the last browser session. It also opens the last session I have fr om my personal virtual desktop (PVD). Is there anyway to keep these separate? That's the whole point of having the virtual desktops in the first place.
  • I'm seeing an issue with keeping my background images separate. On the PVD, it should change to a different screen everyday. The WVD should just have one image. But it seems like the one image on the WVD is on the PVD and it knocks out my 'change next background' option when right clicking on the desktop. Is there a way to again, keep those separate?
  • As mentioned, I began using Display Fusion because of W10's lack of multiple monitor support and I noticed that Actual Tools has a program that's similar and some additional features. One issue I have with DF is that, every time my monitors go to sleep, all of the programs on the second monitor move to the primary. The only way to prevent this is to lock my computer. Can the Actual Multiple Monitors prevent this?
  • With DF, I can set programs to load on a particular monitor (for instance, most of my games load on the second monitor so that I can look up stuff on the primary), can I also do this with AMM?
  • May not be related, but I've recently noticed that I'm unable to get out of full screen mode on Torchlight 2. DF has an option to get out of a game without having to minimize it, which I've done for other games, but I'm finding I can't do that on TII. Is this a DF issue, TII, or AVD issue?

This is a long list, but again, I'm new and I can't seem to find the answers to my questions in one place or at least, the actual answers to my questions. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT - decided to give the Actual Windows Manager a try and I did not like it. I think it's probably way too many features for what I want, which made it very confusing. Also, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to set programs to a specified monitor (ie - Outlook on the right, Chrome on the left) so every time I tried a new setting, everything went to my second monitor or programs on the second monitor moved to the primary or worse, all of my work programs moved to my personal virtual desktop.

So I can definitely rule out that as a program that would be something I would like. Downloaded Multiple Monitors, so we'll see if that works.

EDIT #2 - so after downloading Actual Multiple Monitors, I also don't like that for the very confusing interface. Comparing it to Display Fusion, it seems much too complicated to set up applications for different windows. And unlike DF, whenever I make a change, it completely moves my windows to one monitor, which is not what I want.

If anything, I feel like I just don't understand the whole configuration and wh ere I can find the solutions I'm looking for. I guess basically, I'd like AMM to work like Display Fusion - there's an area wh ere I go to choose which programs can do what, BUT I don't want it to rearrange my entire desktop if I change one thing.

The Desktop Divider doesn't seem to be working either. It was my understanding that if I moved a window, there would be a highlight to show where I could move it. I don't get that on either monitor. What exactly am I doing wrong here?

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/12/2017 21:44:05

Hello, Gina

For my work desktop, I want to just have programs pinned to the desktop that are related without seeing them on my personal desktop. For example, I want to pin Outlook and Filezilla to just the work virtual desktop, but not have them on my personal desktop.
Virtual Desktops feature does this, unless you set a program to appear on all virtual desktops. Although there are some programs that don't work with this feature well – they can appear on all monitors by themselves for example. We try to fix such problems.

I'm finding that the work virutal desktop (WVD) doesn't save the last browser session. It also opens the last session I have fr om my personal virtual desktop (PVD). Is there anyway to keep these separate?
For now there is no way to save the browser seesions separately for each virtual desktop. We'll consider your request, but I can't say whether the implementation of such feature is possible at all. Anyway, we'll post here when/if it is implemented.

On the PVD, it should change to a different screen everyday. The WVD should just have one image. But it seems like the one image on the WVD is on the PVD and it knocks out my 'change next background' option when right clicking on the desktop. Is there a way to again, keep those separate?
Background should be displayed in accordance with the background settings of vrtual desktops. What OS are you running (version, 32- or 64-bit)?
What version of Actual Virtual Desktops are you running?

One issue I have with DF is that, every time my monitors go to sleep, all of the programs on the second monitor move to the primary. The only way to prevent this is to lock my computer. Can the Actual Multiple Monitors prevent this?
This happens because some of the monitors become "disabled" for the system when they go to sleep mode and windows are replaced to other monitor. This doesn't depend on our software.

For now you can return the windows to their places the following way: if you've placed them not manually but using the Default/Specific Settings of our program, then you can re-apply these settings to all windows by using the "Pause/Resume the program" actions combination (via the hotkey "Ctrl+Alt+Num-", but the hotkey needs to be enabled first OR via the Pause/Resume tray icon context menu items). After you do this, the windows will be placed in accordance with the settings again.

With DF, I can set programs to load on a particular monitor (for instance, most of my games load on the second monitor so that I can look up stuff on the primary), can I also do this with AMM?
Are you talking about full-screen games? Unfortunately, there is no ability to move full-screen games to other monitors than primary. We'll consider this as a feature request. It is possible with other programs though (the Move to Monitor at startup action).

May not be related, but I've recently noticed that I'm unable to get out of full screen mode on Torchlight 2. DF has an option to get out of a game without having to minimize it, which I've done for other games, but I'm finding I can't do that on TII. Is this a DF issue, TII, or AVD issue?
Do you mean you try to use the Ignore Deactivation feature of Actual Window Manager or Actual Multiple Monitors? Or you just try to switch to other window from this game?

every time I tried a new setting, everything went to my second monitor or programs on the second monitor moved to the primary or worse, all of my work programs moved to my personal virtual desktop.
What monitors do you use and what interfaces do you use to connect the monitors to the computer (DVI, HDMI etc)?

Gina W

Posted: 07/14/2017 05:44:29

Hi Bogdan,

Thanks for getting back to me. I've actually uninstalled whatever the latest version of Virtual Desktops and Multi-Monitor as I found them very complicated without any guide or walkthrough information to try and discover how to utilize it's features.

That's not to say that I wouldn't be interested in trying to use Virtual Desktops IF it can achieve what I'm doing to do. One problem I'm now experiencing is the inability to have two instances of the same application running on both virtual desktops. For example, on the PVD, I have tabs open in Chrome, while in WVD I also have tabs open in Chrome, completely separate from each other.

I had to replace Firefox with another browser and now this browser will not open multiple instances on either desktop. IE, I can't open a new instance on PVD if one is open on WVD, meaning I'm now without a second browser on PVD (and no, Edge is not an option)

Previous questions to your answers now to follow -

Virtual Desktops feature does this, unless you set a program to appear on all virtual desktops. Although there are some programs that don't work with this feature well – they can appear on all monitors by themselves for example. We try to fix such problems.

How do I do this?

For now there is no way to save the browser seesions separately for each virtual desktop. We'll consider your request, but I can't say whether the implementation of such feature is possible at all. Anyway, we'll post here when/if it is implemented.

I believe I can do this with Display FUsion profiles, but I haven't heard back if that's possible or not.

Background should be displayed in accordance with the background settings of vrtual desktops. What OS are you running (version, 32- or 64-bit)?

What version of Actual Virtual Desktops are you running?

As mentioned in my first post, I'm running the 64-bit version of Windows 10 Pro

What monitors do you use and what interfaces do you use to connect the monitors to the computer (DVI, HDMI etc)?

I'm using 2 ASUS 24 inch monitors - one is a VN247H-P and the other is a VN248H-P, both connected with a HDMI to DVI connection (HDMI from monitor to DVI for graphics card.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/15/2017 15:58:50

Gina,

For my work desktop, I want to just have programs pinned to the desktop that are related without seeing them on my personal desktop. For example, I want to pin Outlook and Filezilla to just the work virtual desktop, but not have them on my personal desktop.
How do I do this?
If you open programs on some virtual desktop or put them to some virtual desktop you're able to see them only on this desktop, unless you move the window to all virtual desktops. Although there are some programs that don't work with this feature well – they can appear on all desktops by themselves for example.
Do you mean the behavior you saw differed from this?

On the PVD, it should change to a different screen everyday. The WVD should just have one image. But it seems like the one image on the WVD is on the PVD and it knocks out my 'change next background' option when right clicking on the desktop. Is there a way to again, keep those separate?
There is no slideshow option in the background settings for virtual desktops. What option do you mean when saying background should change to a different screen everyday?
Could you also clarify what you mean by this: "But it seems like the one image on the WVD is on the PVD" and tell what you mean by "knocks out my 'change next background' option when right clicking on the desktop"?

every time I tried a new setting, everything went to my second monitor or programs on the second monitor moved to the primary or worse, all of my work programs moved to my personal virtual desktop.
We need to know what exactly settings you tried and at what exaclty moment windows were moved to help you with this problem.

Gina W

Posted: 07/17/2017 22:29:26

Bogdan -

If you open programs on some virtual desktop or put them to some virtual desktop you're able to see them only on this desktop, unless you move the window to all virtual desktops. Although there are some programs that don't work with this feature well – they can appear on all desktops by themselves for example.

Do you mean the behavior you saw differed from this?

That's exactly what I need and yes, the behavior was different from this. I would open say Outlook on my second virtual desktop and it would immediately switch to the first virtual desktop. Also, when either locking my computer or my computer going to sleep, programs that should not only be on their separate monitors (so, going with Outlook, it should be on my SECOND monitor) and their separate virtual desktops now show up on ONE monitor and the FIRST virtual desktop.

There is no slideshow option in the background settings for virtual desktops. What option do you mean when saying background should change to a different screen everyday?

Could you also clarify what you mean by this: "But it seems like the one image on the WVD is on the PVD" and tell what you mean by "knocks out my 'change next background' option when right clicking on the desktop"?

I want different images on the virtual desktops. So I want one background for my personal virtual desktop and a DIFFERENT background on the work desktop. However, it seems your saying that the slideshow option - that allows for my images to change at random - is not allowed.

We need to know what exactly settings you tried and at what exaclty moment windows were moved to help you with this problem.

As I no longer have this application on my PC, I don't know what exact settings I tried. If I had to guess, it was probably the general settings and trying the 3D switcher option (which never worked). Ultimately, I was basically trying to do what brought me to this forum in the first place and that was trying to figure out how to use this program to meet the needs for my virtual desktop use.

Again, the most important thing is keeping these two desktops separate - which was the whole point of doing virtual desktops for me in the first place. What I have on my WVD shouldn't be seen on my PVD and vice versa. The one thing I haven't been able to do or find is an program that lets me set up my taskbars in a similar way.

If Actual Virtual Desktops can do that, I really would like some sort of instructions on HOW to do this.

Gina W

Posted: 07/29/2017 01:06:05

Hey there. Just following up on my previous post as I haven't heard back.

I'm having some issues with this current virtual desktop app, so I'd like to try Actual Virtual Desktops again, but again, I really don't want to pay for a program that's not going to do what I need it to do -

I really need for my Virtual Desktops to be and stay separate. If I have Chrome open on one VD, I don't want it to get moved to the second, I want a NEW instance, with it's own tabs. The same with Word, Firefox, etc.

When putting my monitors to sleep or putting my PC to sleep/hibernate, I want all of my programs to be where I left them the night before. So if I have Chrome on my first monitor and Outlook on my second when I go to bed, that's exactly what I want to see the next morning.

I'd really like some documentation/guide to just AVD or Actual Multiple Monitors that walks you through how to use it and what can be done. I have yet to find anything like this, especially relating to my first two issues.

I'd really like to know if AVD works with DisplayFusion or at least works with AMM. By that, I mean, I have
    DisplayFusion because I have two monitors, so I have taskbars and programs set to display on certain monitors. I need AVD to work with this (ie, if I open Outlook, I want it to be on my second monitor and stay there); at the very least, to go with the above point, how do I get AMM to do something similar so that it works with AVD?

I don't think these too crazy, but maybe they are? Does no one like having certain programs on one screen? Or use the same problems on multiple virtual desktops? I'm new to VDs, so for all I know, I'm being unreasonable with this.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 07/31/2017 17:32:40

Hello, Gina

I would open say Outlook on my second virtual desktop and it would immediately switch to the first virtual desktop.
This is not normal behavior, unless you set the "Move to virtual desktop > First virtual desktop" action at window's startup in the settings that are applied to the window (Default or particular Specific Settings > "Startup" section > "Move to virtual desktop" action. Have you set this action?

I was unable to reproduce the problem with Outlook 2016? What version of Outlook are you running?

What programs you've noticed this problem with besides Outlook (name, version)?

Also, when either locking my computer or my computer going to sleep, programs that should not only be on their separate monitors (so, going with Outlook, it should be on my SECOND monitor) and their separate virtual desktops now show up on ONE monitor and the FIRST virtual desktop.
This can happen because one of your monitors or both are seen as disabled in your system when the computer goes into Sleep Mode. Could you check whether it is so by placing some windows over both monitors with our programs disabled and enabling/returning from the sleep mode – if the windows are moved to one monitor, then one of your monitors or both are seen as disabled. Let us know the results.

I want different images on the virtual desktops.
Virtual Desktops feature has such ability: Configuration module > Virtual Desktops > Options > Wallpaper settings at the bottom of the section.

But you can only set the static image with these settings. Do you need to set the background slideshow to one of the virtual desktops?

and trying the 3D switcher option (which never worked)
What exactly swithcer are you talking about?

The one thing I haven't been able to do or find is an program that lets me set up my taskbars in a similar way
How exactly do you need to set the taskbars?

I'd really like some documentation/guide to just AVD or Actual Multiple Monitors that walks you through how to use it and what can be done. I have yet to find anything like this, especially relating to my first two issues.
There is User Manual for Actual Tools products and it's available in the Start menu Actual Tools product group (for example Actual Window Manager group > User Manual), via the configuration module (Configuration module > the Question mark icon in the bottom left corner of the window) and on our website as Online User Manual.
Also, there are tutorial videos on the pages for each essential feature of the products, for example: the features page of Actual Window Manager.
Also, there are some useful articles describing some specific ways you can use our products.

I'd really like to know if AVD works with DisplayFusion or at least works with AMM.
It's not recommended to use AVD and DisplayFusion at the same time due to unwanted effects. It's also not recommended to use several our products at the same time due to unwanted effects. If you need the multi-taskbar functionality combined with Virtual Desktops functionality, then please try Actual Window Manager - our main product, which combines all the features presented in our other products.

Best regards.

Gina W

Posted: 10/16/2017 03:12:56

My sincere apologies. I had no idea that I had a response to my previous questions until now.

This is not normal behavior, unless you set the "Move to virtual desktop > First virtual desktop" action at window's startup in the settings that are applied to the window (Default or particular Specific Settings > "Startup" section > "Move to virtual desktop" action. Have you set this action?

I was unable to reproduce the problem with Outlook 2016? What version of Outlook are you running?

What programs you've noticed this problem with besides Outlook (name, version)?

In regards to Outlook, this is a setting I'm assuming is in Display Fusion, which I use to give my second monitor a taskbar that I can control. I am using Outlook 2016, as well as the rest of the 2016 suite of Office. IIRC, this was with ANY program.

I believe this was why I stopped using AVD.

This can happen because one of your monitors or both are seen as disabled in your system when the computer goes into Sleep Mode. Could you check whether it is so by placing some windows over both monitors with our programs disabled and enabling/returning fr om the sleep mode – if the windows are moved to one monitor, then one of your monitors or both are seen as disabled. Let us know the results.

The issue with programs not staying where they should be upon my monitors going to sleep was confirmed by Display Fusion as being a Windows 10 issue (which seems to be the cause of A LOT of issues)

How exactly do you need to set the taskbars?

I guess in a perfect world, I want different taskbars for different virtual desktops. So again - I work from home and I want to have basically a home and a work desktop. I want pinnned programs for work to be on the WORK taskbar when I use the WORK Virtual Desktop (WVD) and I want pinned programs for just personal stuff to be on the HOME taskbar when I use the HOME Virtual Desktop (previously called person VD or PVD).

Now with that said, I have exceptions to this rule - obviously I need Chrome, Firefox, Word, and file explorer for both, so they would always be pinned to the taskbar. It would be nice however if, when say opening the calculator on like WVD, I'm not thrown into the H/PVD one.

There is User Manual for Actual Tools products and it's available in the Start menu Actual Tools product group (for example Actual Window Manager group > User Manual), via the configuration module (Configuration module > the Question mark icon in the bottom left corner of the window) and on our website as Online User Manual.
Also, there are tutorial videos on the pages for each essential feature of the products, for example: the features page of Actual Window Manager.
Also, there are some useful articles describing some specific ways you can use our products.

This manual is extremely confusing, especially for a first time user. And if I remember correctly, it's also outdated, so it didn't reflect some of the new features. It would also be extremely useful if there were some screenshots to go with it (visual learner, learn quicker if shown, not just told)

It's not recommended to use AVD and DisplayFusion at the same time due to unwanted effects. It's also not recommended to use several our products at the same time due to unwanted effects. If you need the multi-taskbar functionality combined with Virtual Desktops functionality, then please try Actual Window Manager - our main product, which combines all the features presented in our other products.

Seeing as I actually paid for Display Fusion and actually works, afraid I'm not going to just ditch it. What I haven't proven is whether or not AVD actually works to do what I need it to do. I did try running it along side Multiple monitors and I was even more confused and neither seemed to accomplish what I wanted.

As mentioned earlier - I think. It's been a while - I am currently using Dexpot and am growing increasingly unhappy with it. Opening the start menu on one virtual desktop will kick me into the second virtual desktop, which is annoying; lately, trying to switch to another virtual desktop prevents me from doing so; as noted above, when I open a program that is neutral, we'll say, I'm immediately kicked into another desktop instead of staying in the one wh ere I opened the program.

Windows 10 virtual desktops is EXTREMELY limiting, especially for people who use more than one monitor, hence my psuedo desperation in finding something WORKS, which seems to be increasingly foreign. I don't think my request is unreasonable, but I can't seem to find ANY program that does what I want.

I just want two virtual desktops, independent of each other, preferably with their own backgrounds and taskbars. And I'm not sure if this is just not feesible or if Windows 10 is once again screwing with PCs everywhere by limiting the way we can use it.

EDIT - I just downloaded the 60 day trial for Actual Windows Manager and once installed, it told me I only had 30 minutes to use a day. Is this NOT a 60 day trial, as the websites states? And how can I determine if this program even works if I can only use it for 30 minutes each day??

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 10/16/2017 23:08:49

Gina

I guess in a perfect world, I want different taskbars for different virtual desktops. So again - I work from home and I want to have basically a home and a work desktop. I want pinnned programs for work to be on the WORK taskbar when I use the WORK Virtual Desktop (WVD) and I want pinned programs for just personal stuff to be on the HOME taskbar when I use the HOME Virtual Desktop (previously called person VD or PVD).
We'll consider your request and will post in this topic when/if it's implemented.

I just want two virtual desktops, independent of each other, preferably with their own backgrounds and taskbars. And I'm not sure if this is just not feesible or if Windows 10 is once again screwing with PCs everywhere by limiting the way we can use it.
Actual Window Manager provides this functionality, except independent taskbars for each virtual desktop.

I just downloaded the 60 day trial for Actual Windows Manager and once installed, it told me I only had 30 minutes to use a day. Is this NOT a 60 day trial, as the websites states?
Unregistered version starts to work 30 minutes a day when trial period expires. Did you install Actual Window Manager on this system previously?

And how can I determine if this program even works if I can only use it for 30 minutes each day?
When the program stops working all its elements (like title buttons, additional taskbars etc) are disabled.

Gina W

Posted: 10/20/2017 00:46:01

Actual Window Manager provides this functionality, except independent taskbars for each virtual desktop.

Unregistered version starts to work 30 minutes a day when trial period expires. Did you install Actual Window Manager on this system previously?

I guess I must have and obviously uninstalled it because I either found it too confusing (most likely) or it wasn't doing what I thought/wanted it to do. $50 is a lot to spend for a program that I'm only going to use one feature for and I don't feel as though that feature even does what I want it to.

I'm really becoming discouraged with Dexpot as it's just crashing more and more lately, unfortunately, it's apparently the only thing that covers at least 85% of what I want, even when it crashes and doesn't work. I certainly don't mind paying for something IF it works, which I obviously didn't believe any of the Actual Tools did.

If Actual Virtual Desktops actually meets Dexpot's functionality, with better options and features, then I might come back and try it, but right now, I'll have to stick with Dexpot.

Thanks for the help, even though I wasn't exactly helped.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register