Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Crashing Actual Windows Manager during VS debuging » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 11145

tanglor

Posted: 04/27/2017 14:36:18

Hi,
Windows 10, Actual Windows Manager 8.10.2
I'm debugging application in my daily work with VS2015. Sometimes when I create breakpoint and stop application, then I change to different Virtual Desktop and try to move back - whole explorer freezes.
After some time Windows detects that AWM isn't responding and offer to close it. After AWM restart all is working again. Till next debug and freeze.
It doesn't matter if I do it through keyboard shortcuts or task bar icon.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/28/2017 16:12:29

Hello, tanglor

Could you provide an exact step-by-step description of how to reproduce the problem?

then I change to different Virtual Desktop and try to move back
Do you always switch to particular virtual desktop or application?

How many virtual desktops do you have and what windows are open on them when the problem appears?

What mode of virtual desktops do you use – Classic or Independent?

Best regards.

tanglor

Posted: 06/05/2017 13:05:34

Hi,

Independent Mode,
ACM freezes when I try to change between Desktops.
When I trigger it by keyboard shortcut - no reaction.
When I bring up Virtual Desktop Switcher GUI it freezes. ACM doesn't react to mouse. Even displaying Task Manager is blocked.
However when I bring notification area and right click on ACM - context menu display and everything returns to normal. Until I try again to switch Virtual Desktops.

There were other times when I noticed this freeze, not related to VS debuging. After some time they unfreeze. Or activating Task Manager unfreeze it.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/06/2017 01:07:24

tanglor,

By ACM do you mean AWM, Actual Window Manager?

Does the problem depend on what window or vitual desktop you try to switch to?

Does it happen every time you try to switch when doing VS debugging?

Does it happen every time you try to switch when NOT doing VS debugging?

How often does the problem appear in these two cases (for example 5 of 10 times you try to switch)?

then I change to different Virtual Desktop and try to move back - whole explorer freezes.
ACM freezes when I try to change between Desktops.
Does the problem appear when you switch to other virtual desktop and then try to switch back or when you just try to switch to other virtual desktop after long time of using current one?

When I trigger it by keyboard shortcut - no reaction.
Do you mean you try to use the keyboard shortcut when the problem already started or you try use the keyboard shortcut, it doesn't work and this is how you understand that the problem started.

When I bring up Virtual Desktop Switcher GUI it freezes. ACM doesn't react to mouse. Even displaying Task Manager is blocked.
Do all open windows not resond when this happens?

There were other times when I noticed this freeze, not related to VS debuging. After some time they unfreeze. Or activating Task Manager unfreeze it.
Do you mean, when the problem is not associated with VS debugging it manifest itself differently - After some time they unfreeze. Or activating Task Manager unfreeze it?

Best regards.

tanglor

Posted: 06/07/2017 15:59:38

Hi,

Yes, ACM I mean AWM, my bad.

No, ussualy I keep VS sent to specific Desktop. But it stay visible in all Desktops.
Yes, it happens every time a debuging is active. I can ONCE change to ANY other Desktop, after that AWM freezes on change attempts - doesn't matter to which next..
It never happened when debuging is not active.

By AWM freeze I mean - no response on keyboard shortcut changing desktop. When I bring up AWM Gui Desktop display (icon next to Start Button in Task Bar) - AWM do it correctly, but then stops reacting on mouse clicks.

Other windows doesn't respond as they are not reachable.

When AWM is froozen I discover HOW to unfreeze it - in notification area right click on AWM icon. It display context menu and AWM unfreeze it self. Screen is not greyout and windows thumbnails are gone.
However, any further attempts to change desktop ends with the same result as previously.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 06/10/2017 08:27:36

tanglor,

I'm debugging application in my daily work with VS2015. Sometimes when I create breakpoint and stop application, then I change to different Virtual Desktop and try to move back - whole explorer freezes.
Could you please provide a step-by-step description of your actions from starting the debugging process in VS2015 to the moment the problem appears, so that I could reproduce the problem?

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register