New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 16
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Version 8.0 Uninstall , uninstall errors » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 11040

Ryan Weaver

Posted: 08/16/2013 19:01:16

I installed version 8.0 after running the beta while it was available.

Once I got the pop up about the expired license and reading the licensing changes I decided to downgrade to 7.x. Paying full price for 2-3 copies for the virtual machines that all run on my single Macbook Pro just doesn't make sense.

However, executing the uninstaller simply produces the attached error.

Thanks.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 08/17/2013 01:36:03

Hello Ryan,

From what I understand the new licensing model actually makes it possible to install AWM/AMM on all your virtual machines if they are used just by you, unlike the old model. It seems that for you the new model actually is an improvement, unless other people are using the software too.

Best regards.

Chris Miller
Advanced user

Posted: 08/17/2013 03:32:30

How about someone like me (ONE USER) who is using AWM at work and at home?  I own 2 v7 licenses.  Under v8, not quite sure how this works.

I am at work with v8, AND remotely connected to my home PC also running AWM.  With v8, do I still need two licenses, or am I ok with 1 now?

How does AWM track/callhome to confirm there is only 1 user active?  And what is considered an active user?  Physical use, or is it per user per location?

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 08/17/2013 14:47:01

Those are all good questions Chris. The license states
The use of the full version of the Software requires registration.
Once registered, you are granted a non-exclusive license to use the Software
for any legal purpose on as many computers as you need unless the number of
simultaneous users of the Software does not exceed the number of licensed users
(which is equal to the number of copies purchased).
The only way I can read it is that you only need 1 license, as you are the only user. There is no restriction that computers may not be used simultaneously (which usually is the case if a license allows installation on a computer and a laptop).

In my opinion an active user is a user that uses the program, i.e. you as a person, not restricted to a location. I do not read any restrictions with regard to the number and locations of computers, so I (again) think you are good with just 1 license, but you would need a statement from Actual Tools to be 100% certain.

@Actual Tools: there actually is a language error in the quoted part of the license terms. It states "...unless the number of simultaneous users of the Software does not exceed the number of licensed users ...". "Unless" should be "as long as". Literally it now states that if the number of users is smaller than the number of licenses, one is not allowed to use the program  :D

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 08/19/2013 00:25:11

Ryan,

Once I got the pop up about the expired license and reading the licensing changes I decided to downgrade to 7.x. Paying full price for 2-3 copies for the virtual machines that all run on my single Macbook Pro just doesn't make sense.

Please could you tell me why did you conclude that you need to purchase a separate copy for each virtual machine? Let me cite the new Licensing Policy:

"There is no limit on the number of computers the program can be installed on and registered with the same registration code until the number of simultaneous users is less than or equal to the number of purchased copies."

Do you have any other users that can use AWM on those virtual machines at the same time? If not then you need just a single license.

However, executing the uninstaller simply produces the attached error.

Thank you for the report. The error has been confirmed and will be fixed in the nearest update.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 08/19/2013 00:31:29

Chris,

I am at work with v8, AND remotely connected to my home PC also running AWM. With v8, do I still need two licenses, or am I ok with 1 now?
As you remain a single user of both PCs, the single license is enough for you in the described case: being a single person, you cannot use both computers simultaneously, which is the key condition in the new policy.

How does AWM track/callhome to confirm there is only 1 user active? And what is considered an active user? Physical use, or is it per user per location?
Our programs do not force the new Licensing Policy in any way: there are no any "tracking" or "calling home" at all. Conforming with the conditions of the new policy is entirely on the end user's conscience. We respect our customers and trust them.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 08/19/2013 00:43:17

Pim,

Thank you for the explanation, you have grasped the new policy terms right.

As for the mentioned "language error", let me not agree with you. AFAIK, the word "unless" has two meanings: one is similar to "if not", "while not", etc., and another is similar to "except for", "with the exception of", "but", etc. The license terms use the first meaning, which is close (IMHO) to the "as long as" wording you supposed. If you have any references that disprove my point of view - I'd be happy to review the license text.

Derek Moss

Posted: 08/19/2013 01:55:35

I must have misunderstood the upgrade message as I thought it said my v4 licence would be valid.

Anyway, now I need to uninstall it and reinstall v5 but I'm getting this error too, so can't.

Alex Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 08/19/2013 01:58:46

Derek,

As a workaround, you can reinstall v5 over the v8, without uninstalling v8.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 08/19/2013 02:14:58

Hello Alex,

I think I did not express myself clear enough  :oops: I fully agree with you on the meaning of "unless". The problem is however that there is a double negative in the phrasing. It says "unless" and then "the number of simultaneous users ... does not exceed the number of licensed users". So it really says that one is allowed to use the software [if not] [the number of users is not more than the number of licenses]. Programming software you likely think very logically :)  Then you know that [not] + [not] = [equal] so the term really says that one is allowed to use the software only if the number of users exceeds the number of licenses. It is similar to saying that the number in my head is not [not 2], so it is 2 :!:   There is a simple rule for me in language: never use double negatives, because they are confusing  :D

Best regards.

Messages 1 - 10 of 16
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register