Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Buttons scattered around on Desktop » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 9391

John MacDonald

Posted: 01/17/2007 15:51:23

After using ATB for a while with Vista, there are various buttons scattered around "stuck" to the Desktop.  I can't make them go away.  Clicking or right-clicking on them has the same effect as doing the same on an open area of the desktop.  Is this a bug?  What can I do (other than restart the machine)?  Here is what they look like:

User added an image

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 01/18/2007 06:33:50

It would be very nice if you could provide us with the exact actions sequence to get such "abandoned" buttons. It seems there's some kind of bug in the code developed to support the Aero visual mode. Does the stopping of ATB help to get rid of those scattered buttons?

John MacDonald

Posted: 01/18/2007 10:44:21

It happens when the desktop gets very busy with lots of windows maximising and minimising and some of the applications crash and either close of their own accord or I have to close them manually, e.g. with Task Manager.  I have noticed that when an application stops responding, the ATB buttons appear *behind* the translucent top of the window (and thus are blurry and indistinct) instead of on top, where they are supposed to be.  My guess is that sometimes when an application crashes, the ATB code "forgets" to close the buttons (or no longer has access to the app and thus cannot) and they get incorporated into the memory space for the desktop somehow, or one of its layers.  (I am guessing here - I know virtually nothing about coding for Windows and am not a programmer.)  It doesn't happen all that often, just when things get busy and hectic and apps are crashing (usually when I'm in the midst of reconfiguring the system somehow) so it is hard for me to give you more concrete answers at the moment.  I haven't tried to get rid of the abandoned buttons by closing ATB, I will try that next time this happens.  I hope that's enough information for you to construct a test scenario, but let me know if there's anything else I can do.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 01/18/2007 21:59:54

OK, thanks for the detailed explanation. I have added this report to our to-do list for the next version so we will try to fix this issue, if possible.

John MacDonald

Posted: 01/22/2007 09:50:09

I have now checked, and the orphaned buttons DO disappear when the ATB application is closed.  So that's the workaround for now, until you can get a fix done.

Michael Rezvanov
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 05/29/2007 04:56:39

Hello John,

I would like to notify that the bug is finally fixed, you can see it in the current beta version.

Alexey Fadeyev
Administrator

Posted: 06/22/2007 01:21:02

Dear John,

As Michael said above, we have tried to fix the "scattered buttons" issue in Windows Vista. This fix is available in the recently released version 4.5 of Actual Tools. Please could you check it out and confirm that the problem has gone?

Thank you.

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register