New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Messages 1 - 10 of 15
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

Topic: «Switching virtual desktops undoes reordering of taskbar buttons » on forum: Technical Support   Views: 14414

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 09/12/2011 05:33:58

I am using AWM 6.6 on Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I have started to use classic virtual desktops on my computer with one monitor. I have checked the option “Enable taskbar buttons reordering” on the multiple monitors tab. If I reorder a taskbar button on the taskbar, then switch to a different virtual desktop and then switch back to the original desktop, then my reordering has disappeared and the buttons are in the original order again (to my frustration).

Because I currently do not have a second monitor I am working only with the primary taskbar. I have not been able to check this issue with a secondary taskbar nor with independent virtual desktops, which is something you probably will be able to do.

Also, I have checked whether the utility Taskbar Shuffle does not have this problem, but it does. It therefore seems to be an issue with the virtual desktops.

I would really be pleased if you can solve this issue, as I have started to notice the advantage of using virtual desktops in my business, but am also always reordering taskbar buttons, and the conflict between the two interferes with my optimal workflow :(

Also, the location of the option “Enable taskbar buttons reordering” on the multiple monitors tab is a strange place, because this option also works for computers with just one monitor. A better place in my opinion would be the options window. It took me a long time to locate this option when I wanted to report the issue described above, because I did not suspect it would be on the multiple monitor tab when using just one monitor  :(

Vasiliy Ivachev
Administrator
-retired-

Posted: 09/13/2011 02:07:03

Hello Pim,

Thanks for the post.

Our taskbars don't save the taskbar icons order now.
But I added this as a feature request.

And we'll consider your suggestion about the "Enable taskbar buttons reordering" option relocation.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 10/10/2011 13:30:14

Hello Vasiliy,

My response is a little late due to too much work  :(  Thank you for your reply.

I do hope you can solve this soon. It is strange that 2 supported options in AWM do not work well together. Please bear in mind that I am not talking about saving the taskbar icons order for a computer restart, but just for going back and forth between virtual desktops, which is the entire purpose of having virtual desktops.

I have now reverted back to not using virtual desktops anymore, because I had to choose the most important functionality which, to me, is being able to reorder the taskbar buttons. But you can probably guess that I would really like to use virtual desktops too.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 03/10/2013 03:38:45

Hello Bogdan,

Is there any way to accelerate implementation of the request for remembering the taskbar icons order on your list? It is a pity that I have not been using the virtual desktops for over a year now, only because the taskbar buttons keep reordering when switching back and forth between virtual desktops. As far as I can remember there have been more requests for this feature, I think I am not the only one.

Also, and this is just a small issue, I still think that the option Enable taskbar buttons reordering should be included somewhere else than under Multiple Monitors (f.i. a separate taskbar section under Configuration). As a matter of fact, all options under Multiple Monitors > Taskbar > General should IMHO be included under Configuration. If someone uses just one monitor, they will not look under Multiple Monitors for options that might also apply to them. I know how frustrating it can be to look for an option of which I know that it is there and then not being able to find it, because it is located at a unexpected place, because I originally bought AWM when I had never used multiple monitors before (really!) and have been using it with just one monitor for over a year.

Thanks for your consideration.
Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/19/2013 03:05:40

Hello Pim

Actually, not so many people have the similar request. Especially identical request - to preserve the icons order on switching the virtual desktops. It seems that you're the only one who request this feature.

Unfortunately, there is no way to accelerate implementation of this request. And it won't be implemented in one of the next versions.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 03/31/2013 03:03:29

Hello Bogdan,

I do recall that more people have asked for preserving the icon order on the task bar and/or tray. I am not the only one, I am really certain of that. As far as preserving the icon order when switching virtual desktops is concerned, what I understood from Vasiliy is that remembering the taskbar icon order as a feature by itself would solve my problem. This feature would not have to be specifically aimed at virtual desktops.

I do want to make the remark again that it is strange that two options that are included (virtual desktops and being able to move taskbar icons) do not work well together.

Also, what about my suggestion:
I still think that the option Enable taskbar buttons reordering should be included somewhere else than under Multiple Monitors (f.i. a separate taskbar section under Configuration). As a matter of fact, all options under Multiple Monitors > Taskbar > General should IMHO be included under Configuration.
From a usability perspective I do think this is the most logical way to follow, a.o. for reasons explained in my previous post.

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 03/31/2013 22:51:34

Hello Pim

The fact is if the feature "to preserve the taskbar icons order" will be implemented it most likely will not depend on what virtual desktop you're running at the moment, i mean the order will stay the same for all of them.

About your suggestion about the replacement of the taskbar options: it sounds reasonable, we'll consider that.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 04/01/2013 01:26:07

Hello Bogdan,

Thanks for your reply. Apparently you do not have a second Easter Day as we have here in the Netherlands  :(  (but I assume you have other holidays which we do not have  ;) )

The fact is if the feature "to preserve the taskbar icons order" will be implemented it most likely will not depend on what virtual desktop you're running at the moment, i mean the order will stay the same for all of them.
I do not fully understand what you mean. Could you please explain further? Do you mean that if this option were implemented it would apply to all virtual desktops (like I assumed in my previous post)?

Best regards.

Bogdan Polishchuk
Administrator

Posted: 04/01/2013 02:46:39

I mean you probably won't be able to make different taskbar icons order for different virtual desktops.

Best regards.

Pim Joosten
Resident

Posted: 04/15/2013 04:23:58

Hello Bogdan,

I mean you probably won't be able to make different taskbar icons order for different virtual desktops.
I guess what you are saying is that it will not remember the icon order per virtual desktop and going back and forth between virtual desktops I will lose  the taskbar icon order. This is different from what you wrote before (hence my asking for clarification):
i mean the order will stay the same for all of them.
because the latter is exactly what I want: the same order for each task bar (i.e. remembered per taskbar).

It is clear what my wish is and I want to ask you when considering this request to weigh in my argument that two options that are included (virtual desktops and being able to move taskbar icons) do not work well together.

Thank you!

Best regards.

Messages 1 - 10 of 15
First | Prev. | 1 2 | Next | Last 

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login