Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register

Topic: «Restrict placement by pixel with multiple windows » on forum: Window Rules, or Tips and Tricks   Views: 5205

Pascal Labrevois

Posted: 09/30/2014 15:59:24

Hi

I was looking to restrict some window to allow some pixel free at the top and bottom.

I found out that the restrict placement "by pixel" most likely leverage the settings of the primary windows.

For example my primary window is a laptop screen 1600x900.
I am using multiple monitor of multiple sizes, including 2x 1920x1080.

If I define a pixel restrict placement of 1 pixel, top.

The restriction will translate into a 899 screen vertical, even so the hosting  monitor is 1920x1080. I would be thinking that it should depend on the windows size.

I am using 8.2.

Thanks

Pascal

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 09/30/2014 16:50:12

Dear Pascal,

thank you for your post!

I think you should try to choose "% of current monitor" instead of "pixels". When you choose pixels, the feature considers your whole desktop, so different screen resolutions and exact monitor arrangement will affect it.

Please give more details on how exactly the Restrict placement should depend on windows size.

Best regards.

support@actualtools.com

Pascal Labrevois

Posted: 09/30/2014 17:14:14

Sure, surely % of monitor or desktop works better in the context of a different monitor size.

Attached is the screenshot of the result I am getting with 1 pixel top, placement restriction.

This looks odd, I am getting a windows restricted by top=(1080-900+1)=181 pixels instead of 1.

Not a big deal. Just wanted to mention this possible bug.

Regards,

Pascal

Alexander Mihalkin
Administrator

-retired-

Posted: 09/30/2014 19:58:46

Thank you for your report, Pascal!

This seems to be a specificity of the feature, and this is how it's meant to be, at least right now. It considers 1 pixel of the top of the whole multi-monitor desktop. I'm sure you can check if it's true or not by deactivating your laptop monitor temporarily.

And I think the best way to achieve the result you want is to arrange your lower-res monitor by the top along with all the rest monitors at Actual Window Manager -> Multiple Monitors -> Monitors Layout and Settings. I'm convinced that Display position is the key point here.

Hope this helps!

support@actualtools.com

User(s) reading this topic
Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

Forums list
New topics
Topics list
Search
Help
Login
Register